Anyone happy NOT having gutters on their house?

I need to replace the gutters on the house. It sure seems like gutters can be more of a pain than they are worth. I’m thinking of going gutterless again. Thoughts?

We had to repaint the exterior of our house a few years ago and I decided to pay the painter a couple of hundred dollars extra to remove them rather than repairing them. I had been bad about cleaning them and as a result they were causing to wood rot. I felt that they were causing more harm than good. It looks a lot nicer without them too. We do have some erosion at the drip line now, but overall no regrets.

We had to repaint the exterior of our house a few years ago and I decided to pay the painter a couple of hundred dollars extra to remove them rather than repairing them. I had been bad about cleaning them and as a result they were causing to wood rot. I felt that they were causing more harm than good. It looks a lot nicer without them too. We do have some erosion at the drip line now, but overall no regrets.

I’m in the exact same situation. I do recall there was small erosion before we had them. The soil has a lot of rock and i don’t have a basement. So actually my foundation would probably appreciate the additional water, no?

Any other considerations besides doorways?

1.  Gutters are for

• Controlling water over entryways for entry  / egress.
  • Preventing backsplash from rotting wooden areas @ the base of garage doors, entry doors, window frames, etc.
  • Controlling water to prevent erosion of your landscaping, foundation, etc.
  • Collecting water for reuse on vegetation or even full rainwater collection if that is a primary source of water for your home.

2.  There are leaf exclusion devices out there & the shitty ones are the expanded metal screens.  All they do is collect twigs & leaves, thus moving your issue from the gutter to the edge of the shingles.  You'll still end up with rotting possibilities if no maintenance is done.  We install the "LeaFree" system & it is similar (but lower priced) than the GutterMaxx or Leaf Guard products.  Average cost for a 1 story setup is $ 10.00 per foot.  Measure your own areas & get a generic idea of the cost.  Also, avoid the "gutter stuff" or "gutter fill" foam products; again, it just moves your problem from the gutter  to the edge of the shingles.  If you don't have drip edge, you will get problems really fast with anything that collects vegetation on top of the gutter covering [whatever system you have].

ADDITIONALLY, any gutter cover setup (LeaFree, GutterMaxx, Leaf Guard, etc.) CAN be defeated if you don't keep the bullnose clean.  The bits of Oak snot, dirt, roof grit, etc. will settle on the metal & then you lose that "rollback" action that makes the water come into the gutter & leaves pass off.  Occasionally running a stiff brush or broom across it, maybe a good power wash blast... that's what you need to prevent "Tiger Striping" on the face of the gutter & make it continue to be efficient.

That said, it's like changing the oil on your vehicle.  You know you should be doing it, but like most of us we'd rather watch TV.

3.  For a common 5" seamless "K" style, 1 story, in the common colors, it's gonna run around $ 4.75 per linear ft. (add 10 ft. for a single story, add 25 ft. for a 2 story, add 40 ft. for a 3 story).  Other things like a custom bump out (odd column detail, etc) have different prices & there's always something to consider that a customer may not realize.

Y'all are welcome to connect with me for details.  We've done San Antonio to Temple, Bastrop to Llano for our footprint of service.

full brick so no issues there but when they got full earlier I got to see what it would be like without them, and I'll got ahead and keep.  Just have to keep them clean every few months.  Owned a two story once, never fucking again, and gutters are just one reason why.  

I have nothing covering my gutters and from experience, it seems like that works the best.  I'm constantly cleaning my folks out because they have the fucking screen covers.  I'm ripping those fuckers out the next time I'm up there.

I've got a lot of oaks and was wondering if I should try covering them with something. Seems like it will just create a bigger problem than cleaning them periodically. This is for a one story

Roflbox. How much for about 75 ft. Straight shot, on a one story.

Updawg, I'll send you a text.  Scheduling it to go out to you around 0830; don't want to have a beep wake you overnight.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:44 PM, Updawg said:

I've got a lot of oaks and was wondering if I should try covering them with something. Seems like it will just create a bigger problem than cleaning them periodically. This is for a one story

Roflbox. How much for about 75 ft. Straight shot, on a one story.

I'm glad you mentioned trees. I've always wondered if not having gutters could bring your trees' roots too close to the foundation and eventually cause issues.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:47 PM, deft said:

Pm roflbox

bummmmp. 

+1 for @ROFL BOX

he came way the hell out to derkaville for a measly 50yd run. put up great looking gutters, well as great as gutters can look anyhow.