PSA: @ TCU 26 October :: CAF (B-29 & B-24) @ Redbird

Hagbard Celine

PSA to all aviation geeks, with kids, grandkids, military families, etc.

If you are planning to attend the TCU game in Fort Worth this year, or you already live in North Texas, the Commemorative (Confederate "PC") Air Force will be at Red Bird (now Dallas Executive) on Saturday 26 and Sunday 27 October.  Red Bird is at the intersection of US-67 and Hampton Road in southwest Dallas.

The only remaining flying B-29 in the world and one of a handful of flying B-24s will be there.  The Collings Foundation B-17 (in 9-0-9 markings) made several appearances across Texas in March, but there are still several flying B-17s.  The CAF B-29 is the last, one, and only.

Of course, we won't know kickoff time in Fort Worth until a week out, but Sunday morning is certainly open, although the possibility of a night game makes that less attractive.

But it's a rare opportunity to combine an away game with a "shared memory" event for kids (of all ages).

http://www.airpowersquadron.org/wingsoverdallas

https://www.eventsprout.com/event/caf-wings-over-dallas-2019#

If money is not an issue, the $69 prime seating for Saturday or Sunday is a must, again with the reminder that we could have an 11am kick on Saturday and then you would be missing the game entirely.

• Like 2

*Pedant alert*

There are now two flying B-29s. This one, FiFi, which resides in Addison, and Doc, which resides in Witchita. Doc was just finished in the last year or two, though.

She really is a sight to see, though. I’ll post some photos from WoD last year in a minute here.

I was scrolling through Anton's post thinking, "Uh, that's a B-17, and another, nope - that's a tank, nope.  This guy doesn't know what he's talking about."  Until the end.

It blows me away that there were probably 10,000 of every major type of plane made in WWII and there are so few left.  

Edited by Bullneck

Yeah, I went to that one.  My cousin flies an SNJ for the AeroShell stunt team.  And FIFI was originally resurrected by a friend of the family who was a Wichita Falls oilman after being a B-29 pilot.

One of the more interesting things was that they found some older dudes that had flown some of the planes to talk about them while they were flitting around above.

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

I just dropped into this thread to mention that Corsair > Mustang.

Same speed, same armament, OR 4x20mm with 230 rounds each AND 4x the bomb/rocket load.  Not (m)any WWII aircraft carried a useful quantity of 20mm, much less four cannon.  The P51 did have considerably longer range with drop tanks.

Edited by TwiceHorn

*Pedant alert*

There are now two flying B-29s. This one, FiFi, which resides in Ft. Worth*, and Doc, which resides in Witchita. Doc was just finished in the last year or two, though.

She really is a sight to see, though. I’ll post some photos from WoD last year in a minute here.

Fify

ISWYDT. And whoops. Wasn’t it there before though?

Midland before. If it was at Addison, it was short term. No room at the inn. I think the plan is eventually to bring the B-29 and the B-24 to Dallas Executive but that could be a while. In the meantime they’ve both been based at the Vintage Flying Museum over in FW. Well worth a visit anytime, but especially when they’re both in for winter maintenance. They have two A-26s and assorted other cool stuff under the same roof as well. Big big hangar.
  • Like 1

Midland before. If it was at Addison, it was short term. No room at the inn. I think the plan is eventually to bring the B-29 and the B-24 to Dallas Executive but that could be a while. In the meantime they’ve both been based at the Vintage Flying Museum over in FW. Well worth a visit anytime, but especially when they’re both in for winter maintenance. They have two A-26s and assorted other cool stuff under the same roof as well. Big big hangar.

Good to know. I’ll have to visit one of these weekends. Only 15 miles from me.