Ay, oh, way to go, Ohio

ShaggyBevo RIP

So, the Ohio legislature appears to have accidentally legalized weed from Seneca to Cuayahoga Falls and beyond.

Ohio legalized hemp and put in THC levels that determine if it is hemp or weed. Issue is crime labs can't tell percentages of THC only if it is there or not.

The law changes the definition of marijuana to exclude hemp, based on the amount of THC — the chemical that gets you high.

A THC level of .3 percent or less is hemp and legal. A THC level of over .3 percent is marijuana, still illegal in Ohio.

"Now we have to be able to distinguish the difference between hemp and marijuana," said Jason Pappas, Vice President of the Ohio Fraternal Order of Police. "That is not possible for a human being to do, that has to be done through crime analysis."

The problem is, most, if not all, crime labs in Ohio can only detect the presence of THC, not the quantity of it.

That includes the Columbus police lab and BCI state crime lab.

"Until these testing requirements are fixed and until we get some additional training and resources available to us, it's going to be very difficult to go after any marijuana cases in Ohio," he said.

Glenn McEntyre: "What's the end result of that, effectively?"

Jason Pappas: "You legalized marijuana in Ohio for a time being."

Glenn McEntyre: "That's what lawmakers have done?"

Jason Pappas: "That's what I see today."

Last week, Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost sent a letter to every prosecutor in the state, saying in part:

"BCI is in early... stages of validating... methods to meet this new legal requirement," something they say "may take several months."

In the meantime, BCI is recommending prosecutors: "Suspend identification of marijuana testing," and "Do not indict any cannabis-related items."

https://www.10tv.com/article/did-ohio-lawmakers-accidentally-legalize-marijuana-top-law-enforcers-say-yes-2019-aug

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

7 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Feel like I've read this story.

With a Texas twist. Trust me this will not stand. They will spend truckloads of money to develop a new test system.

Spoiler

Legal weed states have tests to determine THC levels. It's printed right on the label.

Same thing in Georgia.  The county I live in just dumped a bunch of possession cases and the prosecutor has said that the way the law is written, they can't prosecute for minor possession.  So now, if a cop says "I smell weed" there is a question if he can then search the car, trying to find other things.  

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/citing-georgia-hemp-law-gwinnett-solicitor-dismisses-marijuana-cases/v0UpTyEgO3jlkYOytXUumI/

• Like 1