Liverpool FC: 20 for 20-21

Firemans4Horn

Certainly get that and that's part of what makes them great, hungry players.  That being said, sometimes you have to say no.  Not everyone can play every week.  That game was on 12/9, right after the Wolves game.  

After that we had:

12/13 - Fulham

12/16 - Spurs

12/19 - Palace

12/27 - West Brom

12/30 Newcastle

Not CL, but plenty of minutes to go around.  Not for him of course because he got injured and missed a ton of games afterwards.  Hindsight is 100% 20/20 and it may not be fair, but pretty sure there was some second guessing on the lineup that day as well.

no matter how massive your side, breaking through the quarter-final barrier is a bitch.  the qataris have spent way north of $1 billion in the last 10 years and it took them 10 years to break through the quarters last year and this year.  pool's players should not have any reason to bitch about UCL-driven salary clasues every year they make the quarters.

the prem run-in:

leeds - desperate for wins to get back in to contention for europa, this is a toss-up (+0)

newcastle - with a game in hand on fulham 6 back, bruce is only 3 points from the typical safety target of 35; convention dictates full bus, so must get something here (+1)

scum - derby, no expectations (+0)

soton - should be safe by then, nothing to play for, no excuses (+3)

brom - should be dead by then, nothing to play for, no excuses (+3)

burnley - should safe by then, nothing to play for, no excuses (+3)

palace - already safe now, nothing to play for, no excuses (+3)

the psychology of the side will be fragile if they don't get anything from the next 3, but the last 5 leaves their 21-22 UCL fate in the hands (and at the feet) of every current player.

if they want UCL in the fall, go and take it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Not a bad result for us with the Toffees still having a game in hand. 

Not any more.

3 Leicester 31 games - 56

4 West Ham 31 games - 55

5 Chelski 31 games - 54

6  Liverpool 31 games - 52

7 Spurs 32 games - 50

8 everton 31 games - 49 points

35 minutes ago, pied said:

Not any more.

3 Leicester 31 games - 56

4 West Ham 31 games - 55

5 Chelski 31 games - 54

6  Liverpool 31 games - 52

7 Spurs 32 games - 50

8 everton 31 games - 49 points

Did they just erase the postponed match? How do they only have 6 games left and we have 7 when we've played an equal number of matches?

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

So I guess we don't have to worry about top 4 any longer. Thanks for the championships but fuck you FSG and John Henry. 

I hear you, but any owner of the club would be doing this. 

Time will tell but I think if we were to have declined an invitation the fans would ultimately be upset with that too. 

I’m firmly in the I don’t want it but in the wait and see camp. 

Time will tell but I think if we were to have declined an invitation the fans would ultimately be upset with that too. 

Yeah I'm not a fan but I guess we'll have to get use to it.....gotta get that tv $ so the big stars can get there 500m

10 hours ago, pied said:

Given the severe reaction, I doubt supporters, especially in Liverpool, would be upset if the club stood on their principles. But it's out of our hands. I hope Jurgen comes out strong against it in his pre and post match interview. He did so in 2019. He needs to do it today. I also hope Leeds United fans come out and let their voice be heard. Think of how long they wandered the desert waiting to earn the right to get back into the EPL. And now it's all over. 

I'm not watching. What's the point? There's no Champions League to worry about. The title is decided. We played most of the rival clubs already and fuck worrying about us playing United. That's just another match now thanks to the Super League. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

I mean, I'm being pissy right now but I'll probably still tune in. Watching Jurgen and he's right, it's not the players or staff's fault. But this went from a massive fight to winning that 3rd or 4th spot to it might not matter if we do win. And it wouldn't matter going forward. The competitive nature of the week in, week out Premier League is gone. Short of which big 6 wins the title but who knows if they can even do that any longer.