Texas Democratic Party - what would make it successful statewide?

TexasEd

Even though Beto ultimately lost, he came so close, as illustrated above, because he was charismatic running against an unlikeable turd.  The more the democratic party can recruit charismatic candidates (I don't know how deep that bench is beyond Beto) to run against unlikeable turds (the TX republican party has a bench that would make Nick Saban hard in that regard) you will find closer races and even outright victories in the future.

If he turns his act up to 100% and doesn't waffle or try to moderate/triangulate, I think O'Rourke takes the governorship from Abbott and becomes the God of Texas Democratic politics for the next generation.

For as unsuited as I think Beto is in terms of national politics, the Texas Dems shouldn't be BEGGING this man to run again because we have no real talent and no real ideas that the mainstream Dems will accept.

plz save us daddy francis

14 hours ago, BillyBadAss said:

B_T, you have me curious. Beto had about as much momentum as I could imagine in 2018. He was pretty damn progressive, he mostly came across as genuine, he was charismatic, women loved him. He campaigned very hard statewide.  Hell, willie nelson publicly supported him.  He got more press than any statewide candidate that I can remember.  He was running against Ted fucking Cruz with Trump in the WH.

You think he wasn't progressive enough to motivate more potential D voters?  

I appreciate your view points, but i just can't buy it.

Who are these potential D voters who weren't motivated to turn out in 2018 just waiting to be wooed? 

This isn't really how politics works. Yes, you see his strengths. But he was starting literally from scratch, in a state no Democrat had seriously competed in (statewide) for decades. That doesn't change just because a wunderkind candidate appears. States don't swing from red to blue or blue to red in the span of one election based on one campaign.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

2018 - Cruz v O'Rourke: Cruz +2.6
2020 - Cornyn v Hegar: Cornyn +9.6 (Trump +5.6)

You're just regurgitating tired political punditry. The same platitudes that have guided failed Democratic politics for 3 decades.

It doesn't make sense logically and it doesn't have any evidence to back it up. Just an article of faith.

I'd argue that these two were as much about the quality of the R candidate as they were about the quality of the D candidate and throw mid-term in for the kicker.  Cornyn is not the fuckstick trump is and outperformed him accordingly.  If Cruz had been 2020 against Beto I think he would have had closer to Trump's numbers on coattails.

Beto vs Corny would have been a bigger loss for Beto.

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

2018 - Cruz v O'Rourke: Cruz +2.6
2020 - Cornyn v Hegar: Cornyn +9.6 (Trump +5.6)

You're just regurgitating tired political punditry. The same platitudes that have guided failed Democratic politics for 3 decades.

It doesn't make sense logically and it doesn't have any evidence to back it up. Just an article of faith.

I'd argue that these two were as much about the quality of the R candidate as they were about the quality of the D candidate and throw mid-term in for the kicker.  Cornyn is not the fuckstick trump is and outperformed him accordingly.  If Cruz had been 2020 against Beto I think he would have had closer to Trump's numbers on coattails.

Beto vs Corny would have been a bigger loss for Beto.

• Like 1

It's just been stated over and over as a given that Cornyn is more popular than Cruz or more liked, but looking at the stats that doesn't seem to be true.

Ted Cruz approval October 2018 - 47%
John Cornyn approval October 2018 - 39%

We hate Cruz, but Cruz was the #2 choice for Republicans for the nomination in 2016 behind Donald Trump.

It seems to me that Cornyn did a better job keeping his mouth shut than Cruz did.  Up until 2020.  Then Trump kept goading him to speak up in defense of Trump and his policies.  At that point Cornyn really started showing his true inner idiot/supremist.  I think it shows how weak a candidate Hegar was that she could not capitalize on that, plus also the red swell of MAGAs helped him in 2020.  

Beto ran a good campaign with his traveling and enthusiasm.  I think he caught the TDP rather flatfooted and the 2020 cycle they were working hard to learn how to supplement candidates in this newer type grassroots campaigning, instead of old big money donor runs.    Hopefully this next cycle it will be even more streamlined and all resources can come to bear.

Simply a little more TIME... and eventually reducing barriers to voting put in place by the GOP to specifically reduce minority participation.

I Honestly think that Beto should take the path that Stacy Abrams took, simply become the face of how important it is to vote!  A little more voter participation and we are NOT fucking stuck with Ted (the whore) Cruz.  I think that he could do that, make a huge difference.  I can see Beto with the help of lots and lots of musicians having tons of Musical events where proving you are on the voter rolls is the cost of entry.  Or you can sign up at Gate #3 and get registered and get in over there.

I do NOT think Beto has the same draw for the African American communities.  I honestly would like to have Beto pair up with possibly a well known musician of color and be a "salt and pepper duo" focusing on getting ALL our young people registered. 

Percentage wise a little increase in minority and youth voting percentages combined with an excellent two year focus on voter registration, it could be next cycle.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...