Texas Democratic Party - what would make it successful statewide?

TexasEd

Disclaimer:  I'm a long time conservative that used to vote Republican until Trump, Cruz, Greg Abbott, Ken Paxton and Dan Patrick became the ugly face of the Republican Party.  I'm interested in more centrist views but believe in breaking down systemic racism, healthcare as a human right, and dignity for those that are on the margins. I also hold a lot of core/traditional Texas values like religious freedom, the right to bear arms, and brisket should not have BBQ sauce or be baked in a Pyrex dish in the oven.

Several people started this on another thread and I thought I would try to consolidate that here.  I'm starting with a premise that Texas being a battle ground state makes the whole country better.  We should have better candidates that are not so polarized, we would have more influence in Washington DC, and the state government could get out of the role of carrying water for national politicians against the interests of Texas.

The question is "What policy, messaging, and outreach methods would make the Texas Democratic Party successful statewide?" Lets recognize the issues that the national scene, outside branding (Fox News) and other factors that might create problems.   

I think we can start with a few assumptions in Texas (debate them if I'm wrong)

• Banning gun ownership is a non-starter in Texas - What are reasonable steps that Texans will buy into
  • Immigration policy while national topic has to be thoughtful and nuanced, not a lock down or wide open
  • Energy: Oil still has a lot of power in the state even as Texas has become become 3rd highest producer of renewable energy in the US
  • Religious factors - Catholics, Southern Baptists, Abortion, etc.
  • Demographics - Increasing Hispanic and Asian populations

That's probably enough to kick it off.

Edited by TexasEd
Fuck Ken Paxton
  • Hook 'Em 7

Policies need to focus on jobs. Infrastructure for high speed internet in rural areas and small towns. Retain oil and gas jobs while providing re-training for careers in renewables and trade industries like HVAC. More paths forward for education and training at low costs for associates degree careers in medical and white collar proffesionals.
Hire more teachers at better pay and incentivize college students to become educators.
Focus border control efforts on keeping us safe at ports of entry instead of deporting Juan the painter. Villifying all LEOs is a terrible tact and cost dems a lot of Latino vote.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

which thread is it that had the long detour on valley politics..... all that shit needs to be copied over here @immamac

i have a close friend that worked on a campaign this last cycle and is on the zoom calls this last month..... texas dems are beyond inept.  helpless infants.  pathetic level of acumen.

great thread.

Just now, Hagbard Celine said:

which thread is it that had the long detour on valley politics..... all that shit needs to be copied over here @immamac

i have a close friend that worked on a campaign this last cycle and is on the zoom calls this last month..... texas dems are beyond inept.  helpless infants.  pathetic level of acumen.

great thread.

We need an Estacy De Abrams

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Policies need to focus on jobs. Infrastructure for high speed internet in rural areas and small towns. Retain oil and gas jobs while providing re-training for careers in renewables and trade industries like HVAC. More paths forward for education and training at low costs for associates degree careers in medical and white collar proffesionals.
Hire more teachers at better pay and incentivize college students to become educators.
Focus border control efforts on keeping us safe at ports of entry instead of deporting Juan the painter. Villifying all LEOs is a terrible tact and cost dems a lot of Latino vote.

we have a million 2-man HVAC businesses in the US that should never be in business in the first place.  the barrier to entry is way too low.  get a license, get a truck, yee haw.

Texas is visual. Ann Richards was photographed shooting guns and riding motorcycles. Its why GOP candidates often focus on wearing cowboy hats or wearing dude ranch costumes that they think cowboys wear. Unlike GOP candidates, a Dem is going to need to be authentic like Ann was. That's the main difference. 

All a successful Dem candidate needs to do is get photographed while hunting, and stay tight lipped on gun control and abortion.  They can actually be pretty liberal or flexible on other topics. The GOP candidates won't have any policy ideas at all and will attack based on authenticity, guns, and abortion. If you can shore up your defenses there, you can win. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Yeah, that is a big part of it.  Say whatever you want about Pres. Bush, I know he genuinely loves the outdoors and nature.  But tools like Dan Patrick?  Those fucking ads with that old-timey pickup truck still make my teeth itch.  Guy looks like his campaign manager took him to Kohl's with a a gift card and said, "Show us the husky section please." 

The only way I can describe my interactions with Sen. Cruz...he seems...how you say...the "indoorsy" type?  Phelan seems like a decent guy so I'm sure he'll be targeted by the psychotic Trumpers around the state.  George P. is genuinely interested in the outdoors and fishing as well, it's not just an act.  But he also doesn't scream enough about how awesome guns are so his next races will probably be difficult.  Ken Paxton tries the tough guy routine so fucking hard sometimes, it's sad.  It's like watching a fat relative talk about how they're training for a triathlon like, "Sure you are buddy...you can do this man!"  

1. Just wait.  As Gen Z kids turn 18 and West Coasters continue to move here, it'll happen automatically.  I expect Texas to go blue in the presidential election by 2028 (and stay that way) and it may be a toss-up in 2024.

2. If we want it to happen faster, they've got to get a lot more of the Hispanic/Latino vote.  It's inexplicable to me that Donald Trump did so well with them in spite of the images of brown women and children in cages and the fact that the GOP loudly opposes a lot of the social programs that do a lot of good directly for these communities.  Obviously a lot of these voters are staunch Catholics and therefore anti-abortion.  How do you overcome that?  I don't know, but there's got to be a way.  Push individual liberties and the idea that we as individual voters are not responsible for the choices other people make.  And start with local programs that produce tangible benefits for young Latinos.  It might be too late to reach the older ones, but get those teenagers ready to vote Dem.

Edited by TexArcher

Candidate must:

Open carry

Speak Spanish fluently 

Regularly attend church service

That gets them an opportunity.  Acceptable liberal policies to espouse include universal healthcare, decriminalizing drugs, and increased spending on childcare and education.

Candidates must avoid talking about abortion and gun control at all costs.

Talk about energy as a whole industry; never exclude oil from the discussion and never discuss oil without also discussing wind and solar.  Hype Texas as the total energy solution.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

1. Just wait.  As Gen Z kids turn 18 and West Coasters continue to move here, it'll happen automatically.  I expect Texas to go blue in the presidential election by 2028 (and stay that way) and it may be a toss-up in 2024.

2. If we want it to happen faster, they've got to get a lot more of the Hispanic/Latino vote.  It's inexplicable to me that Donald Trump did so well with them in spite of the images of brown women and children in cages and the fact that the GOP loudly opposes a lot of the social programs that do a lot of good directly for these communities.  Obviously a lot of these voters are staunch Catholics and therefore anti-abortion.  How do you overcome that?  I don't know, but there's got to be a way.  Push individual liberties and the idea that we as individual voters are not responsible for the choices other people make.  And start with local programs that produce tangible benefits for young Latinos.  It might be too late to reach the older ones, but get those teenagers ready to vote Dem.

Sorry,  I just think #1 is a losing attitude.  Waiting for the the tide to turn is not a winning strategy.  You lose on the messaging now and it sets you back another cycle. 

On #2 Some things will change but if you are not putting out a message that beats the other guys and they are pounding on you for national politics reasons like guns, abortion, and immigration.  I think there is an opportunity for the Texas Democratic Party to be more conservative than the national party and pull from the centrist Republicans with the right messaging.

I guess the point we are all/mostly making is that the ultra progressive agenda is not a winner in Texas.  Beto was the best shot at that and got thrashed.  

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Legalize weed.

Not only legalize, but tout how legalization will minimize the influence wealthy Mexican cartel members will have in the area.   Stress that Tejanos are the driving force behind their own economy.  Universal healthcare will only reinforce that as the medical based community will get paid.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Beto had a better % with natives vs. new people. 

Seconded on the Latino vote. 

I'm gonna have to go find @Kyrie EleisonEleisoEleiEleisonEleisoEl

I swear. 

FINE

How did you put it on election night for GA?

Stacey Abrams needs to train Texas and put a Latina in charge.

How do I put this?

John Wiley Price and Domingo Garcia are not helping. It's a great idea to be organized and get out the vote but it's helpful if they are actually working towards the same goal.

I don't know what it's going to take but I am willing to pitch in some dollars like usual. 

The constant needling of the Texas Democratic Party on this forum for two decades of statewide failure isnt reflective of the last three cycles, as much as people love to lube it up stroke each other over it. 

Share of Republican percentage of the vote statewide in 2016 was 52%, in 2018 50%, and 2020 was 52%. 

TX Dems just increased turnout by 35.6 percent this cycle compared to Republicans at 25.7%. Everyone and their non binary boyfriend would have taken that D number preelection. I don’t think anyone foresaw the Republican number. If the amount of Dem voters who turned out in 2020 showed up in 2016, Dems win the state of Texas by 574,000 votes.

With Allen West taking over fundraising and voter registration responsibilities for the statewide party, he will be this state’s version of AZ Kelli Ward and that should excite people. The handwringing over losses in the valley is warranted and it can’t be overlooked how many law enforcement and military personnel is present there along with oil and gas jobs. The idea of of Hispanics in the valley as minorities isn’t a lens you should look at the region with and cater the message accordingly.

Increased R turnout for Trump in 2020 over 2016 is going to have researchers busy with thesis papers for a long time. How that many people decided, “yea I feel better about him” after 4 years needs a deep dive. I’m not confident in their numbers holding, I think more Dem voters from 2020 will stay engaged however.

great article on changing demographics I’ve shared before that I think is required reading IMO from 2019 : https://www.texastribune.org/2019/06/20/texas-hispanic-population-pace-surpass-white-residents/

recent poll by DMN on Texans thoughts on guns and legislation Feb 2020: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2020/02/03/texans-overwhelmingly-want-gun-background-checks-are-open-to-red-flag-laws-dmn-ut-tyler-poll-finds/

• Hook 'Em 6

Seconded on the Latino vote. 

I'm gonna have to go find [mention=671]Kyrie Eleison[/mention]EleisoEleiEleisonEleisoEl
I swear. 
FINE
How did you put it on election night for GA?
Stacey Abrams needs to train Texas and put a Latina in charge.
How do I put this?
John Wiley Price and Domingo Garcia are not helping. It's a great idea to be organized and get out the vote but it's helpful if they are actually working towards the same goal.
I don't know what it's going to take but I am willing to pitch in some dollars like usual. 

you rang?

14 minutes ago, Tom said:

Trick the GOP into passing a civil rights act.

I think I get the joke.  I know my dad was a racist SOB and so are my inlaws.  I grew up in San Antonio and only had a few casual black friends but lots of Tejanos.  Became a military dependent and made a lot more black friends on the military base and while living in DC and then later in college.  I have relatives that are in small 30 to 8,000 person towns and they are a mix of both racist and non-racist. Age is a better correlation than size of town.

Are the olds still voting against Democrats because of Lyndon Johnson?  I think too much Fox News is a more likely cause.

Edited by TexasEd

Selective parts of GWBs "compassionate conservatism" shtick could fly with moderates and dems alike in this state. I mean, not the actual neo-con and anti-environment parts, but the "idea" of it.  Neonmoon stated it pretty well. 

I still wonder if Beto had STFU about guns if he would have won. So. fucking. close. 

18 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

Are the olds still voting against Democrats because of Lyndon Johnson?  I think too much Fox News is a more likely cause.

Yes, I was joking, and no I don't anyone still is directly.  But the Civil Rights Act plus Nixon and Reagan capitalizing on dog whistles was the impetus for the Democrats losing their stranglehold on this part of the country.  And now, yes, Fox and right wing media fills that role.

I don't know what Democrats really need to do.  I've been hearing Texas is about to turn blue my whole adult life.  I'd love for it to, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Work towards gaining more of the rural vote. Don't just pay them lip service and photo ops.   Broadband, local jobs, small business aid, local healthcare, push for more than athletics and agriculture as focuses at small schools.  Infrastructure programs on local state and municipal roads, streets and facilities.   Work to protect small business start ups from megalith corporate competitors, like giving Walmart tax abatements paid for by the very businesses they are trying to run out of business.   Same for protecting the small American farmer/rancher from being swallowed by corporations.  

That is what Cruz is doing right now with all this talk about blue collar and what not, pushing for rural votes.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, pyrohornIII said:

Work towards gaining more of the rural vote. Don't just pay them lip service and photo ops.   Broadband, local jobs, small business aid, local healthcare, push for more than athletics and agriculture as focuses at small schools.  Infrastructure programs on local state and municipal roads, streets and facilities.   Work to protect small business start ups from megalith corporate competitors, like giving Walmart tax abatements paid for by the very businesses they are trying to run out of business.   Same for protecting the small American farmer/rancher from being swallowed by corporations.  

That is what Cruz is doing right now with all this talk about blue collar and what not, pushing for rural votes.  

While this is nice and the correct thing to do, I’m failing to see how it helps turn texas blue. Give the R voters all the help and five minutes of Fox News screaming about caravans and Dems wanting to take your guns and they know how they are voting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The time has come for the right candidate to make the case that it is right and just for Texans to value people more than guns. That person is likely to discover that there are millions of Texans who are not guns uber alles and are likely to welcome a sensible approach to the role of guns in the 21st Century.

Health care has to be a priority. Texas has to stop keeping company with the likes of Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama when it comes to failing its most vulnerable populations.

While it appears we’re no longer bringing up the rear when it comes to voter engagement, Texas still needs to create incentives for the millions of the unengaged to vote.

Lastly, pay attention to the demographic shifts.

Medicaid expansion in the state could give much needed access to healthcare for those individuals outside the city centers and money into their communities. Nurses, PAs, doctors, dentists, you name it, a reason to leave the cities and go back home to see mom, dad, grandma, grandpa and they’ll stop being so pissy towards those who “turned their backs” on them and shit on where they came from.

And when it happens, Democrats need to beat the goddamn drum on who brought it back.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Yes, I was joking, and no I don't anyone still is directly.  But the Civil Rights Act plus Nixon and Reagan capitalizing on dog whistles was the impetus for the Democrats losing their stranglehold on this part of the country.  And now, yes, Fox and right wing media fills that role.

I don't know what Democrats really need to do.  I've been hearing Texas is about to turn blue my whole adult life.  I'd love for it to, but I'm not holding my breath waiting.

This is true and we are at the end game for that where people are voting R no matter who the candidate is. I see a bunch of good policy suggestions on this thread, but the truth is policy doesn't matter as a platform. Trump offered zero policies. Cruz is practically the same. 

If a Dem really wants to win right now, they should run as an R, run nothing but attack ads against the incumbent, make their website vague, shoot a gun, wear a cowboy hat, and ride a horse.  Really, as an R, they don't even need to do that. They can be from NY or Canada, wear a poorly fitted suit, and pretend to be rich. Once elected, they can vote however they want to, and even vote to ban guns or make abortion mandatory.  They can still win reelection by going back to the same campaign model no matter what they do in Congress. If they grease the right palms, they can even stop PACs from attacking them in the R primary. Even the allegedly pro-gun R PACs don't really give a shit about guns. Give them what they want and they won't rile up the pro-gun masses. 

To an extent, the opposite is true in blue areas, but you see it more from the old guard than the new guard.  Young progressives are policy driven. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

Good looking charismatic candidates. Thinks well on their feet and keeps a crowds attention. Beto was close. I think a lot of his appeal was he left it all out on the field and he excited people. They would walk a long way to get to one of his gatherings, I know I did. He gave a 1000%.

And it would also help if they were pro business, with maybe some conservative beliefs. I also think legalized weed is going to be a big deal. 

Edited by Brandywine
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

While this is nice and the correct thing to do, I’m failing to see how it helps turn texas blue. Give the R voters all the help and five minutes of Fox News screaming about caravans and Dems wanting to take your guns and they know how they are voting. 

Respectfully, if you don't begin to start to address these things, and make a good effort at it, what is there?   There is nothing in what I propose that won't benefit all Texans.   All those items I push for in the rural would work in suburban and urban.   

This type of work has to come sooner or later.  We know the right will never go down this path.  They will pretend to, but not do it.  Our state is gerrymandered to lean red, using rural to counter urban areas that lean blue.   You begin to make inroads in making those peoples' lives better, giving them hope, then you disrupt the benefit of skewed districts.  

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Medicaid expansion in the state could give much needed access to healthcare for those individuals outside the city centers and money into their communities. Nurses, PAs, doctors, dentists, you name it, a reason to leave the cities and go back home to see mom, dad, grandma, grandpa and they’ll stop being so pissy towards those who “turned their backs” on them and shit on where they came from.

And when it happens, Democrats need to beat the goddamn drum on who brought it back.

Start this by breaking up the big medical monopolies like Baylor, Scott and White.  Provide grants for medical in every county.   

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

This is true and we are at the end game for that where people are voting R no matter who the candidate is. I see a bunch of good policy suggestions on this thread, but the truth is policy doesn't matter as a platform. Trump offered zero policies. Cruz is practically the same. 

If a Dem really wants to win right now, they should run as an R, run nothing but attack ads against the incumbent, make their website vague, shoot a gun, wear a cowboy hat, and ride a horse.  Really, as an R, they don't even need to do that. They can be from NY or Canada, wear a poorly fitted suit, and pretend to be rich. Once elected, they can vote however they want to, and even vote to ban guns or make abortion mandatory.  They can still win reelection by going back to the same campaign model no matter what they do in Congress. If they grease the right palms, they can even stop PACs from attacking them in the R primary. Even the allegedly pro-gun R PACs don't really give a shit about guns. Give them what they want and they won't rile up the pro-gun masses. 

To an extent, the opposite is true in blue areas, but you see it more from the old guard than the new guard.  Young progressives are policy driven. 

It is an interesting proposal.  But it would take a lot of new charismatic faces with nothing that can be tied to them from their past (as in previous campaigns or social media statements).  It would take a lot of charm to primary at lot of these incumbents.  They'd definitely be attacking challengers with little to no record.  

But then say they win, then what?   You think enough could run and win as RINOs to change the complexion of Texas politics?   What we need is the Texas House and Senate.  Maybe we get there with your plan, flip enough seats, but still the big power committees are still in the Red hands.   Unless you are talking only Federal offices, then never mind.  Davy Crockett the hell out of them.  Start with Sessions.  Or Brady.

man, yall got it all wrong. it is so much less about positioning some bullshit but actually promising to take care of people. i'm tired so i will post more tomorrow, but the texas democratic party's main problem is sitting in a wood-paneled board room, smelling each other passing gas.

"i say wendy, that's delightful. did you have eggs for breakfast?"

the result is a bullshit, self-insulated campaign that has no idea how to collect votes outside of active donor/voters. 

The Executive Director and his Deputy have both resigned.   There is a panel review being done of the last voting cycle.  There are people on that review committee from all different areas of the party  and some past candidates, so there's not going to be much chance of a slanted conclusion.  Report is due in June.  Remaining staff is working hard to help us get better and more training in all areas.  

But you are right, there is a lot of old blood and territorialism.  And Beto's campaign didn't work closely with the TDP and did well.  There is a lot of work to do.  Lots of new voices also clambering for change.  Those pushing for change without review though are dangerous to repeat previous mistakes.  And then you have some who would take advantage of the rifts and try to gain control, just for their own corrupted purposes.    

I do like this thread a lot though.  There is a lot of wisdom in this group, and it always gives me new ways of looking at things.  Because yes, thanks to social media and other things, we can become insulated.  Thanks for starting it.  

I've talked to rednecks unguardedly back in cabins in the East Texas national forests and in shacks and dive bars on the coast. They hate Schumer and Pelosi, and why not? They come across as rich assholes who do nothing for them but make them feel stupid and ashamed of themselves. A bunch of y'all have mentioned policy changes the Dems could make and step off of in other cases -- leave guns alone for the most part, bring in national healthcare, bring in sensible immigration legislation to protect American workers, and protect American workers in international trade. But the Dems won't do any of that shit because they are owned by a different set of billionaires. 

The Democratic party of today -- at least the White people in it -- is mainly a bunch of rich people who find Trumpism distasteful and wole scolds forever looking to call someone a racist. It is not a winning coalition in Texas or anywhere else. Without Covid, and/or w/o out a total moron in the White House, it would not have won this past election and their downballot results were disappointing to say the least. Because they stand for pretty much nothing other than a less extreme version of the rich taking from the poor than the GOP. And if you are a Republican, at least you get to be an asshole titty baby. The Dems expect you to be nice while they fuck you in the ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Quit grouping all spanish speakers into one voting block. Actually learn what is important to the many different nationalities and integrate the findings into the Democrat platform. Quit assuming Democrats automatically win their vote.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I've talked to rednecks unguardedly back in cabins in the East Texas national forests and in shacks and dive bars on the coast. They hate Schumer and Pelosi, and why not? They come across as rich assholes who do nothing for them but make them feel stupid and ashamed of themselves. A bunch of y'all have mentioned policy changes the Dems could make and step off of in other cases -- leave guns alone for the most part, bring in national healthcare, bring in sensible immigration legislation to protect American workers, and protect American workers in international trade. But the Dems won't do any of that shit because they are owned by a different set of billionaires. 

I brought this up in the first post.

There are national problems with the Democratic party that hinder it in Texas.  The leadership is either those long serving professional politicians or the Squad.

As stupid of an idea as it turned out to be the "not a politician" thing resonated with voters for Trump.  Beto could have pulled it off (but guns).  Hegar went too far to be a non-politician and looked cartoonish. I can't even name the last several Governor candidates, Davis maybe? She was tagged with abortion and not getting the Catholic vote.

There seems to be a catch - make a name for yourself in the Democratic party with a position like guns, abortion or healthcare or be too centrist and nobody knows your name.  Hegar at least tried with healthcare instead of guns or abortion so maybe it's moving in the right direction.

• Hook 'Em 3

30 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

There are national problems with the Democratic party that hinder it in Texas.  The leadership is either those long serving professional politicians or the Squad.

As stupid of an idea as it turned out to be the "not a politician" thing resonated with voters for Trump.  Beto could have pulled it off (but guns).  Hegar went too far to be a non-politician and looked cartoonish. I can't even name the last several Governor candidates, Davis maybe? She was tagged with abortion and not getting the Catholic vote.

There seems to be a catch - make a name for yourself in the Democratic party with a position like guns, abortion or healthcare or be too centrist and nobody knows your name.  Hegar at least tried with healthcare instead of guns or abortion so maybe it's moving in the right direction.

There are a number of smart, hard working, educated Latina, Black, Asian, and White women (including all LGBQT among them)  in the burbs and cities who would be excellent, but who don't believe they can do the job. And you know what? That is what makes them absolutely suitable for the political realm. The trick for the Democratic party is to FIND THEM. Out of a population of almost 30 million, they're out there.

If you have to ask yourself what I mean by the bolded part, then you don't get it, and neither will the Democratic party.

I would also be a good strategy for under-represented males, but at this point, Texas could use more female leadership.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

There are a number of smart, hard working, educated Latina, Black, Asian, and White women (including all LGBQT among them)  in the burbs and cities who would be excellent, but who don't believe they can do the job. And you know what? That is what makes them absolutely suitable for the political realm. The trick for the Democratic party is to FIND THEM. Out of a population of almost 30 million, they're out there.

If you have to ask yourself what I mean by the bolded part, then you don't get it, and neither will the Democratic party.

It would also be a good strategy for under-represented males, but at this point, Texas could use more female leadership.

Editing the last sentence--left off the 't'

we have a million 2-man HVAC businesses in the US that should never be in business in the first place.  the barrier to entry is way too low.  get a license, get a truck, yee haw.
And they are in short supply and make great money (100k plus a year.) The smaller two man to maybe 12 man companies are always the most reliable in my experience. The larger companies are complete shit and subcontract everything to very low skilled labor, zero quality control, sloppy reckless installs. At least from my experience in Austin and on the coast.

Every mechanic I know is way understaffed. Especially boat mechanics. Thier only pipeline to new employees and even helpers that can turn a wrench is former military.

Perhaps licensing or more stringent trade certification would help with bettor QC but that's only reinforces my opinion that stronger trade programs are needed.

Tangental, buy home builders in Texas have zero licensing requirements. Any yokel can claim to be a builder.

2 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

And they are in short supply and make great money (100k plus a year.) The smaller two man to maybe 12 man companies are always the most reliable in my experience.

The problem is that example was thrown out there to replace O&G workers. 100k is a non-starter for a large swath of O&G guys. 

This. People keep acting like all new Texans are liberals. People move here for a variety of reasons including lower taxes, jobs in oil and gas, etc.

I would say the majority of non natives I know are conservative.

Also not acknowledging that plenty of young people from this state will continue to carry whatever politics they were raised with, is a foolhardy endeavor. See any small town or TexAgs.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

The other thing I think hurts is the bench is so thin that every Dem with some charisma and a little name recognition immediately runs for the highest position available. It's like the party is trying to flip the state from the top down. MJ Hegar is a great example. She was about as good a candidate as you could ask for in Tx31, and came tantalizingly close to flipping the district in 18, then decided to try and fail up into a senate seat. Given the demographic shift in WilCo she could have run for TX31 again and probably won, but instead we ran a much weaker candidate and John Carter napped his way to victory without breaking a sweat. The party needs to focus on winning locally and building a bench.   

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The other thing I think hurts is the bench is so thin that every Dem with some charisma and a little name recognition immediately runs for the highest position available. It's like the party is trying to flip the state from the top down. MJ Hegar is a great example. She was about as good a candidate as you could ask for in Tx31, and came tantalizingly close to flipping the district in 18, then decided to try and fail up into a senate seat. Given the demographic shift in WilCo she could have run for TX31 again and probably won, but instead we ran a much weaker candidate and John Carter napped his way to victory without breaking a sweat. The party needs to focus on winning locally and building a bench.   

See one of the Castros running for President, but they've never even seriously sniffed a governor or Senate bid.  But that's also because I think they're gigantic pussies who would never go out on a limb and risk losing a race (not winning a presidential primary doesn't count). 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Born to Run said:

Beto should have cooked bacon on a gun barrel while shooting 52 hogs with George Strait blasting in the background.
That would have turned you!

No. But I’m center right, and you asked what stuck with people like me, or how to turn folks like me, who for a minute thought he might be good for the country.   This was before he got emotional about guns. I’m a fan of whataburger, so that shit was cool.  Driving a truck around was pretty cool.  Upthread y’all spoke of “regular” folks taking the spot and leading.  “Regular” folks don’t stand to inherit a billion dollars. Is what it is, good for him for it, but he’s not a “regular guy”.