Napoleon Grills

Landomatic

Anyone have one?

I'm in the market for a new grill.  I've been a huge Weber fanboi all my life, but in a lot of my recent grill research, I keep seeing all these references to Napoleon.  When I dig a little deeper, not only do they look to be Weber's closest competitor, most people prefer them in just about every review I've seen that talks about it.  And when I look at side-by-side comparisons, they look to have Weber beat in just about every category.

Do I need to reconsider my Weber brand loyalty?

I'm in a country where Napoleon up until recently had better availability than Weber, so I have the Napoleon version of the 18" WSM.

It's a bit better designed and better built:

• Individual segments with access doors for each level of cooking so you can reconfigure or get to your food without having to lift racks out),
  • Nicer rolled edges
  • Access doors are all captured hinges
  • Hanging bar in lid for hanging food for smoking
  • Nicer mesh coal basket
  • Latches to hold segments together for easy portability (also makes it modular, you can run one segment, you can buy more segments and run a tall vertical, etc)
  • Full blown instruction book in an ass-ton of languages

I only got it because availability. For my use, I wouldn't pay the price premium over a WSM in the US. (but if I was often transporting it, I would - moving the WSM is a pain, moving this is super easy since everything latches together)

I took a bunch of detail photos of their 'wsm' when I bought it, specifically to compare with my WSM. Photo gallery is here if curious:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oYPEnU49WYbRnmtu6

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I'm in a country where Napoleon up until recently had better availability than Weber, so I have the Napoleon version of the 18" WSM.

• Individual segments with access doors for each level of cooking so you can reconfigure or get to your food without having to lift racks out),
  • Nicer rolled edges
  • Nicer mesh coal basket
  • Latches to hold segments together for easy portability (also makes it modular, you can run one segment, you can buy more segments and run a tall vertical, etc)

I only got it because availability. For my use, I wouldn't pay the price premium over a WSM in the US. (but if I was often transporting it, I would - moving the WSM is a pain, moving this is super easy since everything latches together)

I took a bunch of detail photos of their 'wsm' when I bought it, specifically to compare with my WSM. Photo gallery is here if curious:

prices ive seen, where theyre available, are fully comparable to weber.  the details looks more thoughtful.  my question would be about availability of oem replacement parts or 3rd party replacements/add-ons (i.e. are they dimensionally similar to weber?)

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

• Nicer rolled edges
  • Nicer mesh coal basket

That does look better than a WSM in pretty much every possible way.  And that's what I'm finding across the board with all of their products.  Just a little more innovative, more thoughtful, more features that I want, etc.  Either that, or they are just really hitting gaps in the market that Weber isn't hitting.

And I don't really see that there's much of a premium on the price.  That Napoleon Apollo smoker vs the WSM...

• Napoleon 16" - $230
  • Napoleon 19" - $350
  • WSM 14" - $220
  • WSM 18" - $330
  • WSM 22" - $440

Seems comparable to me...if anything, the Napoleon might even actually be a little cheaper (if you look at it on an average price per inch basis).  Or again, they're just hitting a gap that Weber isn't hitting.

Aside from the transportability, do you like it?  Build quality, reliability, etc?  And of course, are you able to get quality end results?

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

id consider one but weber just has far superior distribution

11 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

On something that similar, I’d buy it based on where it is made. I can afford to pay more for something that may be my last purchase of that type of product. 

Looks like a Canadian company, but they do have some manufacturing in the US.  As far as distribution, if I get one, I'm probably getting it online either way and all of their products look to be readily available from what I can tell.  The one I'm leaning toward is on Amazon with free shipping.  Plus Lowes, BBQGuys, and several others.  Not sure how much more distribution I'd need than that.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

prices ive seen, where theyre available, are fully comparable to weber.  the details looks more thoughtful.  my question would be about availability of oem replacement parts or 3rd party replacements/add-ons (i.e. are they dimensionally similar to weber?)

The parts thing could certainly be a concern.  As for dimensions, Weber has 14, 18, and 22 and Napoleon has 16 and 19.

Edited by Landomatic

The one I'm leaning toward is the Prestige 665 RSIB for $2,000...

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/products/gas-grills/prestige-series/prestige-665-rsib-p665rsibpss

The Weber options in that general size range are either the Genesis II 435 for $1,250 or the Summit 670 for $2,750.  So that Napoleon is right in the middle of the 2 price-points.  Again, maybe it's just that Napoleon is hitting a gap in the market, but I feel like they are a much better value and offer more features that are important to me.

The Napoleon has stainless grates, enclosed propane, rotisserie, more burners, knob lights, and a larger cooking area than the Genesis.  It has pretty much the same features as the Summit, plus a slightly bigger cooking area and one difference that I actually prefer, which is the side sear station rather than side burner.  I think I'll use that a lot more.

Also, the Napoleon has a lifetime warranty and the Webers have 10 years.  Doubtful I'll keep it more than 10 years so probably not that big of a deal, but I think it speaks to their quality overall.  And everything I've heard is that Napoleon has incredible customer service, which was always a huge plus with Weber.

If the build quality is similar, it's seeming like a no-brainer to me.  Never ever thought I'd stray from Weber, but I'm having a really hard time sticking with them right now.  Never mind that I'm hearing more and more that Weber's quality is slipping, and the fact that their last 3 product rollouts have been shit shows.

Prestige-665-RSIB-Prod-Str-SS-KnbsOn-800

How does warranty even work for grills anyway.  I mean, lets say you have a 9-year old, 200# Weber cart, probably beat to all hell with serial number all rusted out... you gonna dig out the receipt (likely worn/faded) and drag it back to the Home Depot for warranty claim?

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

How does warranty even work for grills anyway.  I mean, lets say you have a 9-year old, 200# Weber cart, probably beat to all hell with serial number all rusted out... you gonna dig out the receipt (likely worn/faded) and drag it back to the Home Depot for warranty claim?

Yeah, I don't know.  I've never had to use one.  My understanding from some others, with Weber anyway, is that you just call them and they'll send you the parts you need.  Probably have to register the product with them, like anything else that has a warranty?

Again, that's not a huge selling point for me, but I do think it just kind of speaks to a company's quality.  If they're willing to warranty something for life, they must feel its a very good product.  Versus something like a 1 year warranty, which tells me they must know it's crap and don't have any intention of it lasting very long.

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

I bought my Weber Summit three years ago and registered it on-line.  One of plastic knobs broke during my first usage this spring.

Called Weber and provided my name and email to the service rep who confirmed my grill is still under warranty.  A few days later I received a package with TWO knobs. 👍🏼

My Weber Genesis Silver will turn 20 years old in May. I’ve put it through hell, moved twice, leave it uncovered and exposed most of the time, and I regularly toss hardwood chunks onto the flavorizer bars to burn (I remove the grates and bars once or twice a year to scoop out the ashes). I’ve replaced most of the working parts over the years, but it’s rusting enough that I won’t be replacing much more before I put it out of it’s misery.

Despite my positive experience, I may seriously look into a Napoleon. Weber keeps moving more and more of their production to China, and that’s a big neg from me. I’m looking at you, too, Traeger. Besides, Napoleon looks like it may be better quality, anyway. 

17 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My Weber Genesis Silver will turn 20 years old in May. I’ve put it through hell, moved twice, leave it uncovered and exposed most of the time, and I regularly toss hardwood chunks onto the flavorizer bars to burn (I remove the grates and bars once or twice a year to scoop out the ashes). I’ve replaced most of the working parts over the years, but it’s rusting enough that I won’t be replacing much more before I put it out of it’s misery.

Despite my positive experience, I may seriously look into a Napoleon. Weber keeps moving more and more of their production to China, and that’s a big neg from me. I’m looking at you, too, Traeger. Besides, Napoleon looks like it may be better quality, anyway. 

I have a Genesis Platinum that turned 19 years old TODAY. While I haven't moved, it's been uncovered that entire time and is still in good shape. I've replaced the burners and grates a couple times, have a single broken knob and igniter, but still works like a charm.

The actual grill box warped enough that the grates would fall in after about 13 years. Called them up and they replaced it for free (warranty on that is lifetime). So, if that's where you have rust, it might be the same for you. 

6 hours ago, SurlyORama said:

I have a Genesis Platinum that turned 19 years old TODAY. While I haven't moved, it's been uncovered that entire time and is still in good shape. I've replaced the burners and grates a couple times, have a single broken knob and igniter, but still works like a charm.

The actual grill box warped enough that the grates would fall in after about 13 years. Called them up and they replaced it for free (warranty on that is lifetime). So, if that's where you have rust, it might be the same for you. 

Mine is rusting on the frame around the firebox. The bolts that support the horizontal pieces down near the feet rusted out, so those horizontal pieces that hold up the wire shelf/basket fell off. Speaking of feet, the wheels seem to be rusted as a couple of them won’t turn or lock/unlock. Basically, the frame is starting to fail. I’ll call them to see if they will replace the whole frame lol. 

On 3/30/2021 at 1:29 AM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I’ve spent waaaaaaay too much time researching these things over the last few days and this definitely appears to be the case.  Weber clearly has a much stronger hold on the market (particularly the US market), but Napoleon is a better product for the money.

On 3/31/2021 at 6:46 AM, Landomatic said:

I’ve spent waaaaaaay too much time researching these things over the last few days and this definitely appears to be the case.  Weber clearly has a much stronger hold on the market (particularly the US market), but Napoleon is a better product for the money.

Just bought a Napoleon Prestige 500. The dealer sells Napoleon, Weber and others. After all the comparisons I concluded Napoleon was the better buy. It also has a 15 year warranty on all parts and if something breaks out of warranty, they will sell the registered owner replacement parts at 1/2 off.

1 hour ago, msbesq said:

Just bought a Napoleon Prestige 500. The dealer sells Napoleon, Weber and others. After all the comparisons I concluded Napoleon was the better buy. It also has a 15 year warranty on all parts and if something breaks out of warranty, they will sell the registered owner replacement parts at 1/2 off.

Pretty sure the Prestige and Prestige Pro have lifetime warranty...at least according to their website.

https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/grills/support/napoleon-warranty

• 1 month later...

Well, it's here and it's spectacular. Super pumped...I haven't had a proper grill in about 4-5 years (between living in a condo that didn't allow them and my new backyard build taking forever). I'm officially a convert from Weber. No doubt that Napoleon is just much more grill for the money, at least so far...

gQDSVa.jpg

Here it is with the knobs lit up...

oif2q8.jpg

MAUlKu.jpg

They turn red when the associated burner is on, which is kind of handy...

pirg0J.jpg

The side sear station, which is super high heat for searing, not a side cooktop burner that I'd never use. It gets really hot...flames going everywhere. This will take some tweaking and getting used to...

sqwhjW.jpg

Here's the char on the first side I did. Probably left it on a little too long...

DJevPr.jpg

And here's the other side which probably wasn't quite long enough, but I was worried I'd overcook it, which I did. There are a few things I can do differently to perfect this part, but it is a really nice feature and I think I'll love it once I get it dialed in...

HeBWt2.jpg

Here's the money shot, but I'm not super proud of it. Probably cooked it about right before I put it on the sear station, which then took it a bit over...

LWgR7b.jpg

Overall though, the build quality, features, warranty and price point are superior to Weber in just about every way I can see so far.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/3/2021 at 3:13 PM, Landomatic said:

Well, it's here and it's spectacular. Super pumped...I haven't had a proper grill in about 4-5 years (between living in a condo that didn't allow them and my new backyard build taking forever). I'm officially a convert from Weber. No doubt that Napoleon is just much more grill for the money, at least so far...

gQDSVa.jpg

Here it is with the knobs lit up...

oif2q8.jpg

MAUlKu.jpg

They turn red when the associated burner is on, which is kind of handy...

pirg0J.jpg

The side sear station, which is super high heat for searing, not a side cooktop burner that I'd never use. It gets really hot...flames going everywhere. This will take some tweaking and getting used to...

sqwhjW.jpg

Here's the char on the first side I did. Probably left it on a little too long...

DJevPr.jpg

And here's the other side which probably wasn't quite long enough, but I was worried I'd overcook it, which I did. There are a few things I can do differently to perfect this part, but it is a really nice feature and I think I'll love it once I get it dialed in...

HeBWt2.jpg

Here's the money shot, but I'm not super proud of it. Probably cooked it about right before I put it on the sear station, which then took it a bit over...

LWgR7b.jpg

Overall though, the build quality, features, warranty and price point are superior to Weber in just about every way I can see so far.

Bumping this as I am looking at doing a built in grill and thinking of going with the Napoleon Prestige Pro 665.  You still happy with the purchase?  My old house had a built in Grand Turbo which was still going strong 15 years later but the Napoleon intrigues me.  By doing the built in I lose the infrared sear station but the guy at the store kind of said the grill gets plenty hot to sear a steak anyways.