This AirBnB cleaning fee thing will get out of hand...

Bateshorn

Greed will always kill the golden goose.  Cleaning fee should be nothing more than $100, no one is paying anyone more than $100 to clean unless it's a really large home.

We clean our neighbors rental before we leave, save $100, and clean better than those ladies ever do.  I'd say stripping the beds, and dropping the sheets, and towels next to the W/D would be about the only thing we'll request, beyond just leaving stuff where they found it in the house.

50 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

The biggest issue is they want you to do all of that before the 10am check out time. 

I avoid any rentals that want you to wash and dry the sheets and towels prior to departure. That's a solid indication they never do it and no one is waking up at 4am to get a couple of loads of laundry done.

The listings where the description of the property is all “rules” get thrown to the scrap heap.  As do the ones that state no parties will be allowed, and we have video surveillance to ensure compliance.  I get that you don’t want your property trashed, but I don’t want to be monitored while on vacation.  If we happen to meet some fun people and want to have them come over for dinner, we are going to do that, but there won’t be any kegs involved at this point in my life.  I  guess I’m pretty good at picking rentals.  The only times I have had difficulty is in remote locations where there weren’t many choices and I had to take what was available.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:39 AM, Zepol87 said:

Staying at airbnb in Denver this weekend and our cleaning fee is 249. Total fees for the stay come out to over 700 dollars. 

Is this some sort of tax work around?  They claim the $249/night as income and the $700 cleaning fee as an "expense" for tax purposes?  Gaming the system?

On 6/1/2021 at 12:23 PM, DonkeyCigars said:

I never got the value of an AirBnB over just maxing out Marriot points and then taking free vacations with the fam. I don't know, good luck out there, I guess.

Marriott has a similar house-rental option. It’s not something that can directly compete with airbnb yet but you get points/nights and can use them to book. We looked at one pretty hard but ended up staying at a hotel

https://homes-and-villas.marriott.com

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Is this some sort of tax work around?  They claim the $249/night as income and the $700 cleaning fee as an "expense" for tax purposes?  Gaming the system?

Seems to be more a gaming the search function.  Keeping your rate low so you are top of the list and then making up the difference with extra fees.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

For the state of Texas and county of Galveston at least, the taxes are on the total paid by the guest, whether it is lumped in to the nightly price or any random fee

• Hook 'Em 1