Fat People

Hanrahan

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You see that with some, especially who run slower paces like 14 minute miles and such.  Also, running makes you hungry (like other exercises) and some of them eat more while running than the calories they burn.

I can walk that fast.  A 14 minute mile is not running.

• Hook 'Em 1

If it's genetics then why aren't Europeans, Africans and Latin Americans fat like us?   We share a whole lot of genetics with them.

Healthier lifestyle in Europe, though obesity is still a public health issue. Food insecurity/relative lack of processed western food in Africa. Mexico is fat as fuck because they’ve imported a lot of America’s health problems, the rest of Latin America varies roughly based on level of development.

• 3 months later...
On 3/5/2023 at 8:42 PM, Anastasis said:

Lilly about to print money with their GLP-1. Their move to reduce insulin pricing is not a coincidence. 

On 3/20/2023 at 9:54 PM, HamsterHookah said:

I know everyone has seen the word Ozempic as it has become a meme and it's going viral on social media the last few weeks/months culminating in The Oscar's, but there is a really great article about how the drug works and how being fat has a strong genetic component (to which the drug isolates/attacks): https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/03/27/will-the-ozempic-era-change-how-we-think-about-being-fat-and-being-thin

The drugs mimic a hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1, which stimulates insulin production and suppresses the production of glucagon, which raises blood sugar. The body naturally releases GLP-1 after a meal, and the hormone travels to the brain, triggering the feeling of fullness. GLP-1 drugs effectively inject that sense of satiety, and also slow the rate at which food empties out of the stomach; patients generally report a freedom from cravings and an inability to overeat without becoming ill. “I’m convinced that this basically replaced a signal my body has been missing my whole life,” a commenter in a Reddit group for people using semaglutide wrote recently. “All I can say,” a member of an online group called Lose the Fat wrote, “is that it is no wonder that skinny people think heavy people have no willpower. Their brains actually do tell them to stop eating. I had no idea.”

On 3/20/2023 at 10:06 PM, HamsterHookah said:

And for @Wulaw Horn re: Bariatric (bolded below):

Eli Lilly and Novo Nordisk together have at least twelve more obesity medications in development. Novo Nordisk reportedly spent about a hundred million dollars advertising Ozempic last year, and the two companies are spending roughly ten million dollars annually on lobbying. A primary focus of that lobbying is the proposed Treat and Reduce Obesity Act, which has been introduced in congressional sessions annually since 2012, and which would require Medicare to cover, among other treatments, chronic-weight-management drugs. Anticipating the passage of this bill within the next few years, Morgan Stanley has forecast that U.S. revenue from such drugs will increase four-hundredfold by the end of the decade. Obesity looks “set to become the next blockbuster pharma category,” it declared, in a report last year, which also predicted that social media and word of mouth will create an “exponential virtuous cycle” around the new medications: a quarter of people with obesity will seek treatment from physicians, up from the current seven per cent, and more than half of those who do will begin taking medicine. In March, WeightWatchers acquired the telehealth weight-loss company Sequence, which specializes in prescribing GLP-1 drugs.

Controversially, the American Pediatric Association recently included weight-loss medication and bariatric surgery as part of a set of treatments that physicians should consider for kids with obesity. (Bariatric surgery, previously the only medical intervention that resulted in lasting weight loss for more than a small percentage of people, works in part because it, too, increases GLP-1 levels, and does so before any weight loss has occurred.) In clinical trials, patients who go off GLP-1 drugs regain much of their lost weight within a year. I asked Dr. Aronne, from Weill Cornell, about the possible medical consequences of irregular lifetime use, which seems to be a likely outcome for many patients, especially those who are prescribed the drugs at an early age. “That’s a great question,” he said, “and we don’t have the answer.” He suggested that doctors might begin treating obesity the way they treat hypertension. “You could start people on a tiny dose per week, and they would never get to the place where they have catastrophic problems,” he said. Patients would still need regular blood work and other monitoring; it’s likely enough that, as these drugs come into use in a wider patient population than ever before, new risks and complications will arise. But to Aronne, who has treated patients with serious health complications related to weight for thirty years, a lifetime on Wegovy seems far less dangerous than a lifetime of severe obesity.

Novo's GLP-1 SELECT trial just read out 20% reduction in cardiovascular events. Novo and Lilly up over 15% on the news. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I can't believe they'd do bariatric surgery on kids but then again, yes I can.  Their bodies aren't even growing yet and they need a certain level of nutrition but let's put them on appetite suppressants and/or take out half their stomach.  Kids weren't fat back in my day and they fucking smoked.

Also, this bariatric surgery needs to be talked about with a certain level of risk.  Dude that used to work for me had this done last year.  6'5" and between 350-400.  Not fat, really, just big.  Went ahead with the surgery despite admitted he'd eat two entrees at night and then a snack before bed.  He's had three complications as a result of the surgery.  Gall bladder, stomach twisting, and now scar tissue blockage.  He also can't stop losing weight.  They projected him down at 200 but he's at 180 and falling.  Dude looks like a POW at this point.  He's going in next week for a "revision" survey.  (I don't know what that means.)

Then you have Lisa Marie Presley.....