Fat People

Hanrahan

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

It works as long as the recruit doesn't quit or is injured and is unable to continue

Posted my response before I saw yours but correct, it works unless they wash out.  Even with injuries, there are platoons they put them in until they heal.  They also have "physical conditioning platoons" for those recruits who can't do the minimums of running, push ups, or whatever.  Same applies.  When they hit the minimums, they get assigned to a training platoon.

But people don't stay in the fat platoons indefinitely.  They lose the weight and move on into training unless they get hurt and wash out.

Also, at least back in the day, once they're in training, they're on a restricted diet.  (This also applies to recruits who are slightly overweight but not "fat.")  They would have a red mark or something on their ID and at chow they'd only be able to eat things like lean chicken with no skin, veggies, no milk but juices.  Shit like that.

I understand that boot camp is an extreme example but there were recruits whose parents didn't recognize them after graduation.  

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/25/2023 at 8:33 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

On another thread, you would learn that I am a purveyor of high end whores.  

Screenshot_20230327_120048_Chrome.thumb.jpg.bae0e0ff07dc0fe33cf539e01e7c8955.jpg

On 3/25/2023 at 9:06 PM, mchookem said:

hold up, hold up...AB is a pimp?? 

giphy (1) (21).gif

On 3/25/2023 at 9:46 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Not a pimp.....

A client, yes.  A pimp?  No.

are you quite sure? 🤨

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Posted my response before I saw yours but correct, it works unless they wash out.  Even with injuries, there are platoons they put them in until they heal.  They also have "physical conditioning platoons" for those recruits who can't do the minimums of running, push ups, or whatever.  Same applies.  When they hit the minimums, they get assigned to a training platoon.

But people don't stay in the fat platoons indefinitely.  They lose the weight and move on into training unless they get hurt and wash out.

Also, at least back in the day, once they're in training, they're on a restricted diet.  (This also applies to recruits who are slightly overweight but not "fat.")  They would have a red mark or something on their ID and at chow they'd only be able to eat things like lean chicken with no skin, veggies, no milk but juices.  Shit like that.

I understand that boot camp is an extreme example but there were recruits whose parents didn't recognize them after graduation.  

this seemed to work with regard to weight loss and physical training...

AdolescentClumsyGar-max-1mb.gif.2bfe9eedc449fb0dbe903b688aba6ece.gif

there were a few unfortunate side effects, but he got buff!

I'll just point out that I lost about 20% of my bodyweight when I realized I needed to make changes in how I lived my life as I was getting larger and unhealthier and it was impacting me in so many ways.  There was a point when something in my mind "cracked" and I realized, "I need to change this situation".  Maybe its when it hit me that I was eating 5 Randall's chocolate chip cookies while sitting under the covers in bed before going to sleep.

I had to do a few things:

> Change what I ate... make largely permanent changes (once you get to your desired state and keep that state going, you can cheat here and there).  Out with fast food, massive portions, really heavy fatty stuff (cream sauces on pasta, most of anything at a Tex-Mex place save for straight up tacos). Be smart at restaurants.  Be more conscious of working in healthy ingredients when cooking and making option for things like lean meat over fatty cuts, lean dairy, whole wheat vs white bread, more fiber, etc.

> Work out... initially I worked in cardio but I really doubled down on lifting since I knew lifting has a bigger impact to burn calories... and now I barely do cardio save for rowing machines and mountain biking... don't run.  Hate running.  My ski knees hate running.  I'm in the gym 3-4 days a week.

> Get moving... hike, walk, bike ride, work outside, avoid sitting around on my ass and eating in front  of a TV.  I hate sitting around now unless it is for a specific purpose (watch the Horns blow a late 2nd half lead).  I'd rather be outside enjoying something active.  Moving to Austin made this easier, for sure. 

I started that 16 years ago.  I feel like I'm in my 20s (definitely not).  When I go skiing, I charge harder than I did in my 20s or 30s.  My knees feel better (again, save for skiing injuries) and overall I feel better but, yes, I had to make a decision and no one else could make that decision for me.  I'm also more of an ectomorph and there's no doubt that have me more a genetic helping hand in the process.  Also, I come from a family where living into your 90s is not uncommon so something there that helped, I'm sure.  Its always the "always in the back of my head" desire to not get back to where I was.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 10:15 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Yes, fat people lie about what they eat.  No shit.  It's not intentional.  They truly believe they eat what non fat people eat but when you get the honest assessment, they don't.  They eat significantly more.  (Just watch a fat person eat.)

Their metabolism is lower because they are not exercising.  

Watch Secret Eaters.  Fat people who swear they eat sub 2,000 calories a day eat 3x that.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Had no idea Surly was sponsoring an event. It's an American thing, but also a Texas thing.  We have less fats out here in California. 

The geographic bubbles fascinate me.  People just 50 miles or so eat completely different from each other.  (HEB has this down to a science.)  

The eye opener for me was when he lived in San Antonio 10 years ago.  We lived in Alamo Heights, which is a bubble in a myriad of ways, but I never realized how fat SA was.  AH was it's own "thin bubble" and then we went to a George Strait concert at the Alamodome.  Good hell.....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Watch Secret Eaters.  Fat people who swear they eat sub 2,000 calories a day eat 3x that.

Yep - those food/fitness trackers are a 100% must.  Can't manage what you don't measure.  I also understand that it can be psychologically terrifying to have to confront the little lies we tell ourselves about our lifestyles.  This is why incremental movement toward a larger goal is so important.  For some, surgery starts them on the path.  The problem is the follow-up.

To quote the old degenerate pool gamblers I used to play with, you have to "get well" the same way you "got sick" (meaning no double/nothing games when you fall behind).  You have to win your money back one game at a time.  Large, overt steps make you feel better that you are taking action, but you also didn't have to put forth a significant amount of physical discipline to get it done.  That is learned.  When you layer on support, medicine, and accountability - that seems to be the ticket.  

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

I'll just point out that I lost about 20% of my bodyweight when I realized I needed to make changes in how I lived my life as I was getting larger and unhealthier and it was impacting me in so many ways.  There was a point when something in my mind "cracked" and I realized, "I need to change this situation".  Maybe its when it hit me that I was eating 5 Randall's chocolate chip cookies while sitting under the covers in bed before going to sleep.

I had to do a few things:

> Change what I ate... make largely permanent changes (once you get to your desired state and keep that state going, you can cheat here and there).  Out with fast food, massive portions, really heavy fatty stuff (cream sauces on pasta, most of anything at a Tex-Mex place save for straight up tacos). Be smart at restaurants.  Be more conscious of working in healthy ingredients when cooking and making option for things like lean meat over fatty cuts, lean dairy, whole wheat vs white bread, more fiber, etc.

> Work out... initially I worked in cardio but I really doubled down on lifting since I knew lifting has a bigger impact to burn calories... and now I barely do cardio save for rowing machines and mountain biking... don't run.  Hate running.  My ski knees hate running.  I'm in the gym 3-4 days a week.

> Get moving... hike, walk, bike ride, work outside, avoid sitting around on my ass and eating in front  of a TV.  I hate sitting around now unless it is for a specific purpose (watch the Horns blow a late 2nd half lead).  I'd rather be outside enjoying something active.  Moving to Austin made this easier, for sure. 

I started that 16 years ago.  I feel like I'm in my 20s (definitely not).  When I go skiing, I charge harder than I did in my 20s or 30s.  My knees feel better (again, save for skiing injuries) and overall I feel better but, yes, I had to make a decision and no one else could make that decision for me.  I'm also more of an ectomorph and there's no doubt that have me more a genetic helping hand in the process.  Also, I come from a family where living into your 90s is not uncommon so something there that helped, I'm sure.  Its always the "always in the back of my head" desire to not get back to where I was.  

Cool- what was your weight when you started and what was your weight when you finished?  Either you are in the 5% of people that have successfully walked this path without medical intervention through tenacity, spirit, discipline, will power, and gumption (if you were morbidly obese) or you are projecting what you accomplished onto someone else not similarly situated and facing a completely different biological set up than you.  Because you had your aha moment before they had theirs and you got yours turned around before you did harm that cannot be repaired.  Either way- good for you and congrats. It's always nice to read success stories and when people are living their best life. 

49 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Cool- what was your weight when you started and what was your weight when you finished?  Either you are in the 5% of people that have successfully walked this path without medical intervention through tenacity, spirit, discipline, will power, and gumption (if you were morbidly obese) or you are projecting what you accomplished onto someone else not similarly situated and facing a completely different biological set up than you.  Because you had your aha moment before they had theirs and you got yours turned around before you did harm that cannot be repaired.  Either way- good for you and congrats. It's always nice to read success stories and when people are living their best life. 

Where do you get that 5% from?  

I have seen that 5% statistic before and it was based on a very dubious and flawed study from 1959.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/25/health/95-regain-lost-weight-or-do-they.html

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

you are projecting what you accomplished onto someone else not similarly situated and facing a completely different biological set up than you.

It sounds like any time anyone points out a situation where they were successful in losing weight and establishing a healthy lifestyle, it doesn't fit your parameters.  I hope you find a solution to your particular situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texasdago said:

It sounds like any time anyone points out a situation where they were successful in losing weight and establishing a healthy lifestyle, it doesn't fit your parameters.  I hope you find a solution to your particular situation.

Not at all. I’m merely asking if you were morbidly obese when you lost your weight. Why is thatA difficult question to answer?  As has been pointed out, linked and discussed there are physiological differences that start to come into play once a person becomes morbidly obese that don’t exist for others. 
And yeah I started a thread about my journey after bariatric surgery. I’m killing it and am 100% convinced I will be successful even if having a medical intervention when every doctor in the field says it’s necessary for someone in my situation makes me a weak willed push in the minds of many naysayers on this thread. 

Ao far, the only person who has actually successfully gone from morbidly obese to healthy weight is pearland horn- even if others want to compare their journey to lose 30 pounds to someone else’s to lose 130 or 330 pounds and think it’s the same even as Dr’s have pointed out actual physical differences. 

you seem really cagey about how you presented your weight loss and now you aren’t answering a direct question- could that be because you are arguing anecdotally about something you’ve never experienced in bad faith?  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Yep - those food/fitness trackers are a 100% must.  Can't manage what you don't measure.  I also understand that it can be psychologically terrifying to have to confront the little lies we tell ourselves about our lifestyles.  This is why incremental movement toward a larger goal is so important.  For some, surgery starts them on the path.  The problem is the follow-up.

To quote the old degenerate pool gamblers I used to play with, you have to "get well" the same way you "got sick" (meaning no double/nothing games when you fall behind).  You have to win your money back one game at a time.  Large, overt steps make you feel better that you are taking action, but you also didn't have to put forth a significant amount of physical discipline to get it done.  That is learned.  When you layer on support, medicine, and accountability - that seems to be the ticket.  

3 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

If someone were starting out on a weight loss/fitness journey and they were overweight, I would suggest they keep a food log for two weeks and track everything and be honest.  That's something I didn't do but wish I had.  Most of us (me included now) would be surprised what we eat.

I'm sure there are 2% outliers but the human body simply can't maintain +300 lbs on a normal diet.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not at all. I’m merely asking if you were morbidly obese when you lost your weight. Why is thatA difficult question to answer?  As has been pointed out, linked and discussed there are physiological differences that start to come into play once a person becomes morbidly obese that don’t exist for others. 
And yeah I started a thread about my journey after bariatric surgery. I’m killing it and am 100% convinced I will be successful even if having a medical intervention when every doctor in the field says it’s necessary for someone in my situation makes me a weak willed push in the minds of many naysayers on this thread. 

Ao far, the only person who has actually successfully gone from morbidly obese to healthy weight is pearland horn- even if others want to compare their journey to lose 30 pounds to someone else’s to lose 130 or 330 pounds and think it’s the same even as Dr’s have pointed out actual physical differences. 

you seem really cagey about how you presented your weight loss and now you aren’t answering a direct question- could that be because you are arguing anecdotally about something you’ve never experienced in bad faith?  

trying to figure out how to tell you to F off on that last sentence without straight up saying it.  I was fat and unhealthy but not morbidly obese but yeah, I totally made up eating chocolate chip cookies in bed to add a little spice to my fake story.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Uh, oh.  

Now you've done it.

Ya'll think this is harsh.  When my wife got out of grad school, her dad had a "fat intervention" on her.  This was long before we met but she was prolly pushing 2 bills from what I would guess.  (5'6").  Might have been more.

Dad told her she was fat, getting fatter, and that's the reason she wasn't dating.  (He's a harsh but good man.)  Offered to pay for gym memberships, trainers, etc.  He figured she wasn't making much money on that point so he'd help her out.

She would eventually lose around 30-40 lbs and then we would later get married.  We then each gained 40 lbs again.

She would later run the Marine Corps marathon in 3:45.

Her dad was right.

56 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Where do you get that 5% from?  

I have seen that 5% statistic before and it was based on a very dubious and flawed study from 1959.

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/25/health/95-regain-lost-weight-or-do-they.html

I’ve been using the figure people on here have. The preeminent guy in the field down in houston literally just told one of his fatties that the success rate for non medical intervention was effectively zero. I doubt that number is much off for morbidly obese people. 

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

trying to figure out how to tell you to F off on that last sentence without straight up saying it.  I was fat and unhealthy but not morbidly obese but yeah, I totally made up eating chocolate chip cookies in bed to add a little spice to my fake story.

I didn’t say it was a fake story. I’d really rather you give the actual weight and I could know what your story is and then tell me fuck odf then have you play coy. 
I could go in the AA thread and talk about how I put a plug in the jug too and act as if my experience in succeeding was the same in theirs when failing but I don’t because I was never more than a heavy drinker for a couple  years in my mid 20’s. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’ve been using the figure people on here have. The preeminent guy in the field down in houston literally just told one of his fatties that the success rate for non medical intervention was effectively zero. I doubt that number is much off for morbidly obese people. 

Let me guess... does he specialize in medical intervention?

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Frank Drebin said:

I would guess going on a diet is ineffective.

Making wholesale lifestyle changes is effective. 

Sure. And again- nobody has said it’s impossible- merely incredibly difficult. Anyone claiming anyone here has said it’s impossible is grossly distorting what has been said. Just that the odds are long and there are biological reasons for that which people who have lost 40 pounds can’t contemplate. The tools needed to lose 40 pounds might not be the same tools needed to lose 140 pounds or 400 pounds and to act like it is ignores some basic human biology as has been pointed out. What people who have lost 40 pounds don’t understand, perhaps, in the same way a heavy drinker doesn’t understand the problem with an alcoholic, is that it becomes incredibly difficult to make said wholesale lifestyle changes when your entire body is actively working to fuck it all up by hoarding fat cells and screaming SOS SOS we are starving over here. 

When I lost my weight, I was fucking hungry I'll tell you that.  Worst part was late afternoon.  Then, I discovered something.  Exercise worked as a temporary appetite suppressant.  I would get off work, go run 2-3 miles on the treadmill and I was back to normal.

Then I'd have a salad or something for dinner.

1 minute ago, nbmishoid said:

But, 100%.  Except for those that wash out, I.e. the whole goddam thing didn’t work.

Wulaw, whatever else, you have patience. 

Yeah. And remember how far we moved the goalposts here - all anyone has ever said is incredibly difficult and telling stories about running marathons or oh I don’t know being conscripted into the armed forces and made to diet and exercise and having all your food inputs controlled used as a “success story” just demonstrates the original point- that it is incredibly hard. 

25 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

If someone were starting out on a weight loss/fitness journey and they were overweight, I would suggest they keep a food log for two weeks and track everything and be honest.  That's something I didn't do but wish I had.  Most of us (me included now) would be surprised what we eat.

When I started this, I was floored. I was hitting my base calories by lunch before I made major changes. Like holy hell. 

It’s still difficult to do a year later, but when you really cut down on eating out, it’s much easier to track. Also looking it as a weekly thing and not a daily thing. Those big deficit days during the week add up to give you some wiggle on Friday and Saturday to enjoy life a bit, in moderation. Like when watching an Elite 8 game 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

Sure. And again- nobody has said it’s impossible- merely incredibly difficult. Anyone claiming anyone here has said it’s impossible is grossly distorting what has been said. Just that the odds are long and there are biological reasons for that which people who have lost 40 pounds can’t contemplate. The tools needed to lose 40 pounds might not be the same tools needed to lose 140 pounds or 400 pounds and to act like it is ignores some basic human biology as has been pointed out. What people who have lost 40 pounds don’t understand, perhaps, in the same way a heavy drinker doesn’t understand the problem with an alcoholic, is that it becomes incredibly difficult to make said wholesale lifestyle changes when your entire body is actively working to fuck it all up by hoarding fat cells and screaming SOS SOS we are starving over here. 

I don't believe a body hordes fat cells.  I think calories in and calories out is basically immutable. People who argue otherwise are likely not keeping an accurate count of the calories they consume when they claim it does not work.

There were not any fat people rescued from Auschwitz.

Now whether people have mental or head space issues with food is different.  Like alcohol.  But anyone who is morbidly obese, if someone else could control all their access to food and put them in a calorie deficit, would lose weight. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

When I started this, I was floored. I was hitting my base calories by lunch before I made major changes. Like holy hell. 

It’s still difficult to do a year later, but when you really cut down on eating out, it’s much easier to track. Also looking it as a weekly thing and not a daily thing. Those big deficit days during the week add up to give you some wiggle on Friday and Saturday to enjoy life a bit, in moderation. Like when watching an Elite 8 game 

I have found that it's not all that hard to maintain weight since I quit drinking any calories and walk a minimum of 10k steps a day -- every single day.

I started rowing last year, adding it to my daily walks, and that allows me to eat more.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Let me guess... does he specialize in medical intervention?

I specialize in mortgages. I don’t lie or make up foreclosure figures. But sure, that doc is just lying. And the other doc on here telling you what happens who isn’t financially motivated at all is just making up a story too. 
By the way- feel free to tell me to fuck off. I’ve done that a million times myself over this every time I’ve tried and failed, just like every other morbidly obese person has done, but please be intellectually honest enough to answer the question with real and honest weights so we can know if you are an outlier or arguing in bad faith and I promise I will drop the matter altogether with you and never respond again. 
And/ you can even come into my thread like certain other duck heads and heckle me and call me a pussy for getting surgery because that’s not how real manly men handle it.  I don’t even care!  I just have this weird tick where I like to know whether someone is lying to me or just too stupid to know that their irrelevant argument is irrelevant to the situation. Or, maybe you are the unusual one who can tough it out and make jt happen without medial intervention. 
which cool- as I said in all sincerely good for you. I know all the terribleness that comes from being morbidly obese and I am happy for anyone who licks that monster, no matter how they choose to do it or how much of a dickhead they are about it afterwards. 

4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I don't believe a body hordes fat cells.  I think calories in and calories out is basically immutable. People who argue otherwise are likely not keeping an accurate count of the calories they consume when they claim it does not work.

Now whether people have mental or head space issues with food is different.  Like alcohol.  But anyone who is morbidly obese, if someone else could control all their access to food and put them in a calorie deficit, would lose weight. 

Cool. Argue with the doctor @Sawbonzabout it and all the scientific shit he’s posted on here about it. 

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Now we have a standard.  The Auschwitz diet.  

Also, the imprisonment diet, generally.  It’s not a surprise that most people would not or could not submit to these approaches.  Or joining the marines.  The list of silly ideas is at least amusing.  

User name checks out. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Now we have a standard.  The Auschwitz diet.  

Also, the imprisonment diet, generally.  It’s not a surprise that most people would not or could not submit to these approaches.  Or joining the marines.  The list of silly ideas is at least amusing.  

User name checks out. 

So you do not believe in calories in, calories out?  Is that your position?

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Had no idea Surly was sponsoring an event. It's an American thing, but also a Texas thing.  We have less fats out here in California. 

Yep.  I feel fatter in CO than I do in TX.  In TX I'm borderline skinny.  And I'm not skinny.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

But, 100%.  Except for those that wash out, I.e. the whole goddam thing didn’t work.

Wulaw, whatever else, you have patience. 

Yes, for those that stayed in, 100% of them lost weight.  Recruits can straight up quit boot camp.  At least they could back then.

This is an extreme example, though.  It's impossible to cheat.  All they do is sleep in the barracks, eat a very strict diet, and PT during the day.  

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I specialize in mortgages. I don’t lie or make up foreclosure figures. But sure, that doc is just lying. And the other doc on here telling you what happens who isn’t financially motivated at all is just making up a story too. 
By the way- feel free to tell me to fuck off. I’ve done that a million times myself over this every time I’ve tried and failed, just like every other morbidly obese person has done, but please be intellectually honest enough to answer the question with real and honest weights so we can know if you are an outlier or arguing in bad faith and I promise I will drop the matter altogether with you and never respond again. 
And/ you can even come into my thread like certain other duck heads and heckle me and call me a pussy for getting surgery because that’s not how real manly men handle it.  I don’t even care!  I just have this weird tick where I like to know whether someone is lying to me or just too stupid to know that their irrelevant argument is irrelevant to the situation. Or, maybe you are the unusual one who can tough it out and make jt happen without medial intervention. 
which cool- as I said in all sincerely good for you. I know all the terribleness that comes from being morbidly obese and I am happy for anyone who licks that monster, no matter how they choose to do it or how much of a dickhead they are about it afterwards. 

Simple... I'm not going to answer your question because you are clearly prejudging my weight loss based on a number that is acceptable to you or not.  I already stated I was not morbidly obese.  However, you are focusing on a number on a scale and ignoring things like height and body composition.  In my case, I did zero working out and was not active at all so as I went through my process, my body composition was low on solid muscle mass and tended more towards fat whereas today I am much leaner and more muscular.  The number does not tell the tale unless we want to look at body fat %.   220 may be a fat ass on some people but lean and mean on Bijan Robinson.

Previously, I would get winded easily with basic activities.  I was out of shape, did not have good measurables on strength to where I should be for my height/weight.  Throughout the process, I had to replace 100% of my wardrobe.  Everything was too big.  Suits, shirts, pants, t-shirts, coats, ski wear, underwear... all of it had to be given away.. I lost four inches in my waist size and two sizes in my T-shirt size... I stay on top of healthy eating habits, activity and working out to the point that my weight fluctuates maybe 2% at any given time (save for the holidays and then its a bit more but I can course correct).  None of this was true before.  

So, not giving you the weight because the answer won't be good enough for you and I'm not here for your validation.  People who know me today and didn't know me before the weight loss don't recognize me in pictures.  That's good enough for me.  

Oh... and you don't need my validation but there's nothing wrong about getting surgery to get started.

I got fat. Technically obese but not morbidly so. Lost weight with lifestyle changes.  Kept it off.  It sucked, but it worked.  I was also relatively young and had the underlying physical health to make it happen.  I also quit smoking after 20+ years.  That was more difficult psychologically than losing weight was, but overall it was easier because it ultimately involved just putting down the cigarettes. Losing weight is a much more nuanced path than quitting booze or tobacco, and I find it hilarious how many from those camps try to apply the linear thinking of tackling those addictions to something that just doesn't work that way.   I don't think my experience necessarily applies to others, especially those who let themselves go too far before doing something about it.  Age, obesity level, etc. all play a role in whether lifestyle changes alone will work or not.  Just like quitting smoking or alcohol after too long a time, losing weight at a certain point will not correct the permanent damage you've already done.

A handful of Bob Newharts on this thread.   Not surprised to learn one of them is a cyclist.  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

So you do not believe in calories in, calories out?  Is that your position?

Frank

I used to.  Never morbidly obese, I maxed at 220 for a person who should be 165 or 170.  Was on weight loss efforts 6 or 8 times.  The older I got, the less the prior calorie counting coefficient held.  At about late 50’s I started into biking, 100 mile events, etc.  At peak training I was  burning 2000+ calories just on the bike daily.  And then it took 10 times as many calories to lose a pound as the last time.   Yes, I recorded everything, as I was serious about the bike and the weight was one component.  So, the data was good.

So I learned, personally, that how hard it is to lose weight, how many calories out versus in, varies with time, varies with exercise regimen, and surely varies among people.  So I became, as a consequence, more aware of this other, broadly held and scientifically informed viewpoint.  Even my biking coaches said the 1 calorie in = 1 out was b.s. 

I  was surprised to see my view change, I have to admit.  As a former engineer, the energy balance idea just HAD to be right.  Note to self, when something HAS to be right, then that just means it seems obvious, and only merits superficial examination.  And superficial examination yields high error rates.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

If your situation was not > 100 lbs over ideal body weight then it is nothing like Wulaw’s. Go back and read my posts to understand why. He’s doing great btw. Go check out his journal thread. Adding exercise as his doctor allows. Adding back healthy foods as his doc allows. Looks like he is committed to a lifestyle change as part of his medically validated weight loss plan. He is to be commended. 

As are you. It’s wonderful you found what worked for you. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Sawbonz said:

If your situation was not > 100 lbs over ideal body weight then it is nothing like Wulaw’s. Go back and read my posts to understand why. He’s doing great btw. Go check out his journal thread. Adding exercise as his doctor allows. Adding back healthy foods as his doc allows. Looks like he is committed to a lifestyle change as part of his medically validated weight loss plan. He is to be commended. 

As are you. It’s wonderful you found what worked for you. 

When did I compare my situation to Wulaw's?  Where in my original story did I say, this is what I did and what you should do because I was pretty much recounting my story and my situation and then it was judged.  Also, and look carefully, where did I discount his getting a medical procedure?  My comment was about the doctor that basically said it was 0% success rate without the procedure, not his specifically getting one because I do understand many people have to start with that.  

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

When did I compare my situation to Wulaw's?  Where in my original story did I say, this is what I did and what you should do because I was pretty much recounting my story and my situation and then it was judged.  Also, and look carefully, where did I discount his getting a medical procedure?  My comment was about the doctor that basically said it was 0% success rate without the procedure, not his specifically getting one because I do understand many people have to start with that.  

14 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I'm not going to answer your question because you are clearly prejudging my weight loss based on a number that is acceptable to you or not.  I already stated I was not morbidly obese.  However, you are focusing on a number on a scale and ignoring things like height and body composition.  In my case, I did zero working out and was not active at all so as I went through my process, my body composition was low on solid muscle mass and tended more towards fat whereas today I am much leaner and more muscular.  The number does not tell the tale unless we want to look at body fat %.   220 may be a fat ass on some people but lean and mean on Bijan Robinson.

Previously, I would get winded easily with basic activities.  I was out of shape, did not have good measurables on strength to where I should be for my height/weight.  Throughout the process, I had to replace 100% of my wardrobe.  Everything was too big.  Suits, shirts, pants, t-shirts, coats, ski wear, underwear... all of it had to be given away.. I lost four inches in my waist size and two sizes in my T-shirt size... I stay on top of healthy eating habits, activity and working out to the point that my weight fluctuates maybe 2% at any given time (save for the holidays and then its a bit more but I can course correct).  None of this was true before.  

So, not giving you the weight because the answer won't be good enough for you and I'm not here for your validation.  People who know me today and didn't know me before the weight loss don't recognize me in pictures.  That's good enough for me.  

That’s a pretty detailed description of your situation in a response to Wulaw. But not a comparison to his I guess? My mistake carry on

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2