Fat People

Hanrahan

4 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

tldr -  is there some additive/ingredient introduced in the last half century that is contributing to America's obesity problem?

One has to wonder... look at it this way... why do we have so many people with gluten intolerance and allergies these days?  

I know multiple people who are gluten intolerant and have issues with the usual culprits but they find when they go to Italy and eat local food, they don't have the same issues.  So, is it something here in our food supply?  

Portion size for sure is an issue these days.  

https://firstwefeast.com/drink/2015/09/mcdonalds-portion-size-change-1955-to-now

I mean, WTF, Starbucks has a Trenta size.  30 ounces.  Meanwhile in Italy... 

Premium Photo | Man holding afresh tasty espresso cup of hot coffee in a  cafe

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

One has to wonder... look at it this way... why do we have so many people with gluten intolerance and allergies these days?  

I know multiple people who are gluten intolerant and have issues with the usual culprits but they find when they go to Italy and eat local food, they don't have the same issues.  So, is it something here in our food supply?  

https://firstwefeast.com/drink/2015/09/mcdonalds-portion-size-change-1955-to-now

so just google ingredients for bread.  it's some variation on flour, salt, sugar, yeast, water and something like egg or oil.  lipids soften up the bread and not really essential.  So even this gets into 'what oil to use?' 

now the ingredients for a loaf of Natures Own bread

Whole Wheat Flour, Water, Yeast, Brown Sugar, Wheat Gluten, Contains 2% or Less of Each of the Following: Salt, Monoglycerides [shelf life], Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid [ aka Vit C helps dough rise], Soybean Oil [lipid of choice], Vinegar, Cultured Wheat Flour, Monocalcium Phosphate [baking powder], Soy Lecithin [emulsifier]

so nothing too crazy in there.  maybe you would consider soybean oil bad.  again i am not sure what is considered good/bad.  the few ing. lists i googled seem to use soybean oil.

found this as well RE: gluten (source: the interwebz)

The majority of American wheat grown is hard red wheat, which is high in protein and thus gluten. In Europe, the majority of wheat grown in Europe is soft wheat, which is lower in gluten. so that could explain the gluten difference across the pond.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/27/2023 at 4:50 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Ya'll think this is harsh.  When my wife got out of grad school, her dad had a "fat intervention" on her.  This was long before we met but she was prolly pushing 2 bills from what I would guess.  (5'6").  Might have been more.

Dad told her she was fat, getting fatter, and that's the reason she wasn't dating.  (He's a harsh but good man.)  Offered to pay for gym memberships, trainers, etc.  He figured she wasn't making much money on that point so he'd help her out.

She would eventually lose around 30-40 lbs and then we would later get married.  We then each gained 40 lbs again.

She would later run the Marine Corps marathon in 3:45.

Her dad was right.

B8F7581A-530E-4E23-815C-3817ADBC5BAB.jpeg.92e53245dbfad12eeee8145a86fd3518.jpeg

So even your extended family are assholes.  We are making progress here. 

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

so along the lines of 'why are people fatter now' is there any credence to all these different additives causing negative changes to the human body?  I see a ton of stuff decrying seed oils as 'toxic' to our body and i don't know if it's crazy talk or if there is a kernel of truth in there.  Lots of grifters demonize a segment of our diet and then sell 'cleansers/de-toxifiers' and then their own brand of 'healthy' foods.  internet/twitter is rife with these things pointing to some rando study and laying blame to big agribusiness.

I am guessing but back in the day, stuff probably did not contain all these basically industrial by-products when a fat or oil was needed for production of packaged foods.   Was cottonseed, grapeseed etc.. oil used?  It's pretty easy to start with the facts

- 80 years ago people were not this fat

- ***something happened***

- people are now land orcas 

Then try and sell your own version of what happened and how your product can 'fix' that.  But something probably did happen to food that goes into our bodies other than we are probably eating too much and working desk jobs more.

tldr -  is there some additive/ingredient introduced in the last half century that is contributing to America's obesity problem?

I read the links Sawbonz posted about the different wiring of the gut and brain.  My theory was that decades of shit diet re wires people’s bodies.  Fat people generally have fat kids so a 40 year old could easily have 4 decades of shit food so their body truly thinks it needs 3X the normal calories.

It explains the increase over time and the regionality.  SEC, it just weighs…..more

It’a still the diet over time, though.  This didn’t happen in a vacuum.

23 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I have never been as fat as you and your fat wife. I mean, when you were fat.

Good for you for avoiding the problem in the first place.  We got fat, had the self awareness to know we were fat, and then got un fat.  We still look at the fat pictures sometimes as motivation.

After we lost a good chunk of weight, people would always ask how we did it.  They were wanting us to have a magic diet.  We’d just say exercise and a cleaned up diet.

They’d always be absolutely crestfallen.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

This is what I’m talking about.  Some of us are trying to offer solutions and tips and then we’re ridiculed.

If you want to honestly talk about weight management, great.  If not, why are you posting?

You're not really offering solutions, though.  You might think you are, but you're not.

22 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I read the links Sawbonz posted about the different wiring of the gut and brain.  My theory was that decades of shit diet re wires people’s bodies.  Fat people generally have fat kids so a 40 year old could easily have 4 decades of shit food so their body truly thinks it needs 3X the normal calories.

It explains the increase over time and the regionality.  SEC, it just weighs…..more

It’a still the diet over time, though.  This didn’t happen in a vacuum.

Well, shit.  If you've got a theory, then by all means preach on!

• Hook 'Em 2

On 3/27/2023 at 12:38 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

I'm the one who posted most of that info outside of Sawbonz's links.  I know more about Big Food than probably anyone on here unless there's an actual dietician and there may be.  That's me trying to "empower" people into understanding the root cause is really diet.  You can dive into the science about what drives diet and cravings but at the end of the day, it's about diet.

Also, I'm continually suggested all types.  That's me "empowering" people to try to get moving.  I'd then hear the reason why people can't do specific exercises despite that I never said that.  If you have various ailments, work with a personal trainer and they'll put together a plan.  I'm actually a big fan of walking.  By that I mean somewhat fast, power walking.  Step it out.  Much easier on the knees if that's a problem.  Easy to walk for 30-60 minutes and listen to a podcast.  Treadmills, too.

But overeating has an emotional component to it.  It should be classified an eating disorder like anorexia and bulimia.  We just have to acknowledge it like anything else.  One of the frequent excuses is that eating is different than booze because it's needed to live.  Yes, eating is but overeating isn't.  (No one binge eats fruits and vegetables.)

I've also never suggested some quack diet like Tom Brady or Gwyneth Paltrow are on.  Sam with fitness programs.  Only a very small number of people can work out obsessively.  

Just not sure why saying diet and exercise and anything is possible is so controversial.  

I think your heart is in the right place but the delivery is just off and the anecdotes are great,  but for every person who is successful with doing such, there are many more that fail to achieve their goal*.   Those anecdotes then lead them to a dark place "why can't I stop? why am I a failure?"   

The suggestion of treadmills/walks is not a bad idea, but chances are, Wulaw and others have already done that (or thought of it).   A more helpful suggestion would be to consult a dietician or to share things that worked.  For example, "I find that a tablespoon of almond butter and an apple are a more ideal breakfast for me and they really help curb my appetite, it turned out my dietician said the reason for such was due to the increase in fiber."   Would you agree that is a more helpful, more encouraging statement?  Even if the person has a dietary limitation, they may be able to still incorporate the information (fats + fiber have a longer satisfying impact) and or try it out or modify it for their needs.   

*Imagine trying to invest your money based on anecdotes.  I might tell you I earned nearly a 400% return on Weatherford Stock and it wasn't some one-off event.  Some ghoul stock investing returned nearly 180%.    Then some others hop on how they rode the Tesla spike to nearly 10x return.   And another shorted the shit out of SVB and made a killing.  This is entirely unhelpful to share with others who are struggling or are new to investing without also pointing out the absolute turds we invested in and lost.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, I can't believe there are people who don't believe the body will hoard fat cells. For fuck's sake, the process of getting fat is...your body hoarding extra calories. Your body went to a lot of work to create that rainy day fund, you think you don't have to trick it to let it go? 

There was a time in my life where I ran 7 miles a day, 5 days a week, and I could do it in about 45-50 minutes. Nothing earth shattering there, but considering I started from not being about to jog a quarter mile without stopping, I was pretty proud of myself. I'm 6'3, I went from about 230 lbs to 170 pounds...and guess what, my body still had fucking fat on it. Looking back, I looked like the fucking slenderman. I've never had a flat stomach, EVEN AT 6'3" AND 170 LBS.

I did crossfit for 3-4 years, was in incredible shape that way, was throwing up 10 combine reps multiple times in a high intensity workout. Looked good, felt great, and you know what, I still had fucking fat on me. I think I did a water test and the lowest I got was 14% body fat. Didn't matter I could knock out 20 pullups with a 25 lb weight chained to me and then go run 3 miles no problem. Still had plenty of fat. 

I got as high as 240 after my wife had our son, and 530 am workouts weren't in the cards at the time. I started working out again, tracked my calories, was operating at about a 500-1200 calorie deficit per day, depending on the day. Lost 15 lbs, then despite no change in routine, body just refused to lose any more weight. I stalled at 220-225 for 6 fucking months. I was furious. Switched my diet to keto after a friend had success, and after about a month the weight started fucking rolling off me...because I'm now in my 40's, and I needed to do something drastically different to shake my body out of it's routine and trick it into burning fat. 

Genetics of each individual obviously play a HUGE part in people's ability to put on, retain, and lose weight. So does age, which is depressing for all of us. And everyone is different. But for my experience and many other folks I've come across, if you've been  heavy for awhile your body will fight tooth and nail to keep that fat. It's basically like an aggy, but instead of cognitive dissonance it's fat retention. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 7

16 hours ago, texasdago said:

Wheat Belly (book) discusses the changes in wheat that are produced today and how it is not like the wheat people had in the 1940s.   

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

I think your heart is in the right place but the delivery is just off and the anecdotes are great,  but for every person who is successful with doing such, there are many more that fail to achieve their goal*.   Those anecdotes then lead them to a dark place "why can't I stop? why am I a failure?"   

The suggestion of treadmills/walks is not a bad idea, but chances are, Wulaw and others have already done that (or thought of it).   A more helpful suggestion would be to consult a dietician or to share things that worked.  For example, "I find that a tablespoon of almond butter and an apple are a more ideal breakfast for me and they really help curb my appetite, it turned out my dietician said the reason for such was due to the increase in fiber."   Would you agree that is a more helpful, more encouraging statement?  Even if the person has a dietary limitation, they may be able to still incorporate the information (fats + fiber have a longer satisfying impact) and or try it out or modify it for their needs.   

*Imagine trying to invest your money based on anecdotes.  I might tell you I earned nearly a 400% return on Weatherford Stock and it wasn't some one-off event.  Some ghoul stock investing returned nearly 180%.    Then some others hop on how they rode the Tesla spike to nearly 10x return.   And another shorted the shit out of SVB and made a killing.  This is entirely unhelpful to share with others who are struggling or are new to investing without also pointing out the absolute turds we invested in and lost.  

I've said to consult a dietician and/or a personal trainer.  If you have physical problem preventing some exercising, they can help put something together.

Let's look at your investing example, though.  That's a good parallel.  If we had someone who was 40 years old, made good money and had very little retirement savings, what would you tell them?  What if they kept looking for the quick fix (Bitcoin, meme stocks, shit like that) but multiple people kept telling them to not spend everything they make, max out your retirement accounts, and dollar cost average index funds for everything?  What if they kept saying that might be easy for you but not them?  Then when you examine their situation, you learn they have three cars and a boat.  Money and food have a lot of parallels now that I think about it.  While you need both, your emotions surrounding both drive a lot of the decisions.

Your analogy is a good one but me and some of others are arguing the long term solution.  You have it backwards.

Several years ago, I went from 250 to 180 over the course of about 6 months. I logged the calories in everything I ate, holding myself to 1500 per day, and running for an hour every other day. It takes a couple of really hard weeks to get used to 1500 calories. The trick for me was logging all of my meals at the beginning of the day and then putting away the leftovers before I started eating. Also drinking nothing but water, unsweetened tea, and black coffee. I still drank about 3 beers 1 day per week, but the food intake was very low that day to compensate.

For the running, I was able to get around 10 miles per week starting out, and that was absolutely brutal. I was logging closer to 30 miles per week by the time I was down to 180 and could run a half marathon without needing to start walking, not even feeling like I might die. It was truly an amazing experience. Going to keep running as long as my knees will let me, because it absolutely puts me in a better state of mind.

Not saying that everyone can do it, because some can't. And there's no shame in weighing too much. It's only natural in the culture we live in. But most people never really try to lose weight. I would have said that I had tried before I actually went out and did it, but I would have been lying to myself. Everyone owes it to themselves to really, honest to God, give it a try, because if you can do it without hurting yourself, you will get results, and those results are life changing.

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/28/2023 at 3:21 PM, HouTex said:

I don’t disagree that it’s different strokes for different folks.  That’s cool.  But it’s not weird for me, and I would say billions, to say that fat people are not sexually attractive.  

The proliferation of fat kids in this country belies your point.

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Man, I can't believe there are people who don't believe the body will hoard fat cells. For fuck's sake, the process of getting fat is...your body hoarding extra calories. Your body went to a lot of work to create that rainy day fund, you think you don't have to trick it to let it go? 

There was a time in my life where I ran 7 miles a day, 5 days a week, and I could do it in about 45-50 minutes. Nothing earth shattering there, but considering I started from not being about to jog a quarter mile without stopping, I was pretty proud of myself. I'm 6'3, I went from about 230 lbs to 170 pounds...and guess what, my body still had fucking fat on it. Looking back, I looked like the fucking slenderman. I've never had a flat stomach, EVEN AT 6'3" AND 170 LBS.

I did crossfit for 3-4 years, was in incredible shape that way, was throwing up 10 combine reps multiple times in a high intensity workout. Looked good, felt great, and you know what, I still had fucking fat on me. I think I did a water test and the lowest I got was 14% body fat. Didn't matter I could knock out 20 pullups with a 25 lb weight chained to me and then go run 3 miles no problem. Still had plenty of fat. 

I got as high as 240 after my wife had our son, and 530 am workouts weren't in the cards at the time. I started working out again, tracked my calories, was operating at about a 500-1200 calorie deficit per day, depending on the day. Lost 15 lbs, then despite no change in routine, body just refused to lose any more weight. I stalled at 220-225 for 6 fucking months. I was furious. Switched my diet to keto after a friend had success, and after about a month the weight started fucking rolling off me...because I'm now in my 40's, and I needed to do something drastically different to shake my body out of it's routine and trick it into burning fat. 

Genetics of each individual obviously play a HUGE part in people's ability to put on, retain, and lose weight. So does age, which is depressing for all of us. And everyone is different. But for my experience and many other folks I've come across, if you've been  heavy for awhile your body will fight tooth and nail to keep that fat. It's basically like an aggy, but instead of cognitive dissonance it's fat retention. 

You forgot to tell us how much you bench, bruh.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Aren’t you like a giant Viking? I’m calling bullshit. Sandbagger.

I’m tall, but I’m not naturally dense or muscled, didn’t play any sports in HS, etc. I think the time or two we may have met was probably during the time I was at my best shape and dieting for strength and muscle growth. I don’t look that way now.  

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m tall, but I’m not naturally dense or muscled, didn’t play any sports in HS, etc. I think the time or two we may have met was probably during the time I was at my best shape and dieting for strength and muscle growth. I don’t look that way now.  

I am not sure if we have met.  My memory is all fucked up.  But maybe at Pluckers?  Anyways, I ain't at my fighting weight right now either.

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It would have been a McNelly/Lucas/Buchanon drink, at pluckers a Woodrow’s situation. 

I don't think I was there.  I believe I only met Mcnelly once or twice and one of those was at Pinkerton's.  Hahaha, all those dudes were loyal to Buchanon and didn't want him to find out they had tried Pinkerton's.

From the head of Ozympic.  It's basically a lifetime drug.  (Of course it is.)

She said available data suggests most individuals will recover most of their weight within five years of stopping Wegovy, and roughly 50% of their weight after two to three years. Some individuals may actually gain more weight after stopping the drug than they initially lost, Conde-Knape added. Studies have similarly shown weight rebound in people who stop taking Ozempic. Novo Nordisk makes both prescription drugs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/29/people-taking-obesity-drugs-ozempic-and-wegovy-gain-weight-once-they-stop-medication.html

15 hours ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Several years ago, I went from 250 to 180 over the course of about 6 months. I logged the calories in everything I ate, holding myself to 1500 per day, and running for an hour every other day. It takes a couple of really hard weeks to get used to 1500 calories. The trick for me was logging all of my meals at the beginning of the day and then putting away the leftovers before I started eating. Also drinking nothing but water, unsweetened tea, and black coffee. I still drank about 3 beers 1 day per week, but the food intake was very low that day to compensate.

For the running, I was able to get around 10 miles per week starting out, and that was absolutely brutal. I was logging closer to 30 miles per week by the time I was down to 180 and could run a half marathon without needing to start walking, not even feeling like I might die. It was truly an amazing experience. Going to keep running as long as my knees will let me, because it absolutely puts me in a better state of mind.

Not saying that everyone can do it, because some can't. And there's no shame in weighing too much. It's only natural in the culture we live in. But most people never really try to lose weight. I would have said that I had tried before I actually went out and did it, but I would have been lying to myself. Everyone owes it to themselves to really, honest to God, give it a try, because if you can do it without hurting yourself, you will get results, and those results are life changing.

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

User name does not check out, though.

I don't know enough about weight loss surgery and its efficacy.  But I have to think taking an approach like Wulaw is probably wise given how heavy he was and his mortality risk.  He seems to be serious about changing his lifestyle.

I think most people who are just overweight or obese (but not morbidly obese) could get there by making permanent lifestyle changes.  Eating less.  Do not drink any calories.  Walking.  Maybe when you go to Whataburger only do so occasionally and get the grilled chicken sandwich with mustard or Whataburger junior and forego french fries. Small but consistent changes.  Trying radical starvation diets is setting yourself up for failure.

I'd always been in shape until my brother died.  I ran 4 miles about 5 times a week and did a lot of body weight exercises. Then I started drinking too much beer too often.  I quit all alcohol and began walking daily and rowing several times per week.  Weight just fell off of me. I don't think people realize how many empty calories they are drinking.  Whether it be booze, Starbucks, juice, or sodas.  Just drink water and black coffee.

For me, when I want a drink, I just have a couple Delta 8 CBD seltzers. No alcohol. No calories.  A nice mellow feeling.  When I first stopped, I was crushing those things to the tune of 3-4 per day.  Now I maybe have two a week.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I don't know enough about weight loss surgery and its efficacy.  But I have to think taking an approach like Wulaw is probably wise given how heavy he was and his mortality risk.  He seems to be serious about changing his lifestyle.

I think most people who are just overweight or obese (but not morbidly obese) could get there by making permanent lifestyle changes.  Eating less.  Do not drink any calories.  Walking.  Maybe when you go to Whataburger only do so occasionally and get the grilled chicken sandwich with mustard or Whataburger junior and forego french fries. Small but consistent changes.  Trying radical starvation diets is setting yourself up for failure.

I'd always been in shape until my brother died.  I ran 4 miles about 5 times a week and did a lot of body weight exercises. Then I started drinking too much beer too often.  I quit all alcohol and began walking daily and rowing several times per week.  Weight just fell off of me. I don't think people realize how many empty calories they are drinking.  Whether it be booze, Starbucks, juice, or sodas.  Just drink water and black coffee.

For me, when I want a drink, I just have a couple Delta 8 CBD seltzers. No alcohol. No calories.  A nice mellow feeling.  When I first stopped, I was crushing those things to the tune of 3-4 per day.  Now I maybe have two a week.  

I like how you put that.  I read the word "drinking" and thought you were talking about booze but you extended it.  Booze is my problem but if you look at what people drink, it's awful.  People love the Starbucks PSL's but those are 500 calories.  Most everything at Starbucks that doesn't involve straight black coffee is bad.  Same with sodas.  You can rack up 1,000 calories a day just in drinking.

These are the conversations this thread should be about.  It's about diet management and tips from people and that, while hard, it's possible.  The tips from people that have done it should help people who are trying.  What I didn't like was people who were saying it's impossible.  That tells people who are struggling that it's futile.  It's not.  It's about managing your life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I like how you put that.  I read the word "drinking" and thought you were talking about booze but you extended it.  Booze is my problem but if you look at what people drink, it's awful.  People love the Starbucks PSL's but those are 500 calories.  Most everything at Starbucks that doesn't involve straight black coffee is bad.  Same with sodas.  You can rack up 1,000 calories a day just in drinking.

These are the conversations this thread should be about.  It's about diet management and tips from people and that, while hard, it's possible.  The tips from people that have done it should help people who are trying.  What I didn't like was people who were saying it's impossible.  That tells people who are struggling that it's futile.  It's not.  It's about managing your life.

It's possible.  It takes small changes.  But consistent.  You cannot look at it like a diet.  It is a change in lifestyle. For me, it was mainly cutting out booze.  I'd rarely get drunk.  But I'd drink a six pack of beer probably five nights a week (I was never a liquor drinker).

Doing that makes it easy to exercise.  Without drinking booze, I am up at 5 am naturally.  Might as well go walk the dog a few miles and listen to some podcasts.  Doing that begat slightly better food choices (though my food diet was never really the problem).

Slow and steady wins the race. Small changes.  But over time they add up. Just like over time a six pack of beer adds up.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Good post as well. And yes, it's about lifestyle changes. I get frustrated with my wife, because she always wants to buy exercise equipment or exercise, but she refuses to make any changes...like ANY changes...to her lifestyle. Like, I'm sorry, you don't want to work out in the evening because it keeps you up late, or you sacrifice time with our son, or you're tired? Guess what, you have go wake up in the morning. That's just math, no way around that, but she refuses to make that connection and make changes accordingly. Me? I've been progressively getting up earlier and earlier for workouts, when I had more corporate jobs with a commute, it was up at 530. These days, I'm waking up at 430. It gets easier, you just have to suffer through the breaking in period, like all things.

But yes, it is a lifestyle, and you have to view it that way. I mostly stick to keto, because it got results for me, but at the end of the day while I'm ok where I'm at currently, I came to realize that sugar is the motherfucking devil. So I mostly adhere to low carb because at the end of the day, why the fuck do I want to put more sugar in my body? It doesn't make me feel particularly good, like booze does. It doesn't wake me up or make me alert, like caffeine. I just don't see a point, and I am happy to live with occasional indulgences. Side benefit, keto made me less hungry and consume less calories as well, and it taught me how to find foods that I can eat a lot of and make me full, and do it on 3-400 calories a meal. But yes, people drink soooo much fucking sugar and calories, even in healthy shit. Orange Juice. Any kind of fruit juice, really. Like Sack said, Water/Coffee/Unsweetened Tea, and diet soft drinks if I'm using it as a mixer for vodka. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Good post as well. And yes, it's about lifestyle changes. I get frustrated with my wife, because she always wants to buy exercise equipment or exercise, but she refuses to make any changes...like ANY changes...to her lifestyle. Like, I'm sorry, you don't want to work out in the evening because it keeps you up late, or you sacrifice time with our son, or you're tired? Guess what, you have go wake up in the morning. That's just math, no way around that, but she refuses to make that connection and make changes accordingly. Me? I've been progressively getting up earlier and earlier for workouts, when I had more corporate jobs with a commute, it was up at 530. These days, I'm waking up at 430. It gets easier, you just have to suffer through the breaking in period, like all things.

But yes, it is a lifestyle, and you have to view it that way. I mostly stick to keto, because it got results for me, but at the end of the day while I'm ok where I'm at currently, I came to realize that sugar is the motherfucking devil. So I mostly adhere to low carb because at the end of the day, why the fuck do I want to put more sugar in my body? It doesn't make me feel particularly good, like booze does. It doesn't wake me up or make me alert, like caffeine. I just don't see a point, and I am happy to live with occasional indulgences. Side benefit, keto made me less hungry and consume less calories as well, and it taught me how to find foods that I can eat a lot of and make me full, and do it on 3-400 calories a meal. But yes, people drink soooo much fucking sugar and calories, even in healthy shit. Orange Juice. Any kind of fruit juice, really. Like Sack said, Water/Coffee/Unsweetened Tea, and diet soft drinks if I'm using it as a mixer for vodka. 

4:30 is so fucking early man.  You are talking about literally something I don't know- less than 10% of the population (probably smaller than that) has the wherewithal to do for any solid amount of time. That requires sooooo much discipline.  Probably go easy a bit on the wife. Amazing job by you. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

4:30 is so fucking early man.  You are talking about literally something I don't know- less than 10% of the population (probably smaller than that) has the wherewithal to do for any solid amount of time. That requires sooooo much discipline.  Probably go easy a bit on the wife. Amazing job by you. 

I realize I'm an outlier, but I'm not depriving myself of sleep. Granted, I roll into bed at 9 and am asleep usually well before 10, but I'm trying to get 7 hours. People in the military get up early. It's just training your body on a schedule, which is what I was referencing by the adjustment period. 430 gives me time for a shit, a 45 minute workout, and plenty of time to shower, get ready, and do some chores before the kiddo wakes up at 630. It's the time window where I can get shit done, so that's when I do it. 

The human body can get used to anything. Lots of folks just don't want to make changes or sacrifice. You clearly don't have that problem in some facets of your life, don't be so quick to assume that there are others that you just can't change. 

And to be clear, I'm not telling my wife she needs to wake up at 430. I'm just pointing out that to make time to exercise, she's going to have to give up SOMETHING she doesn't want to do to make the time necessary to exercise. That's just a mathematical reality. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I realize I'm an outlier, but I'm not depriving myself of sleep. Granted, I roll into bed at 9 and am asleep usually well before 10, but I'm trying to get 7 hours. People in the military get up early. It's just training your body on a schedule, which is what I was referencing by the adjustment period. 430 gives me time for a shit, a 45 minute workout, and plenty of time to shower, get ready, and do some chores before the kiddo wakes up at 630. It's the time window where I can get shit done, so that's when I do it. 

The human body can get used to anything. Lots of folks just don't want to make changes or sacrifice. You clearly don't have that problem in some facets of your life, don't be so quick to assume that there are others that you just can't change. 

And to be clear, I'm not telling my wife she needs to wake up at 430. I'm just pointing out that to make time to exercise, she's going to have to give up SOMETHING she doesn't want to do to make the time necessary to exercise. That's just a mathematical reality. 

We all have the same 24 hours per day.  Some people are busier than other.  But plenty of very busy people make time to exercise.

Most people, if they are honest, can squeeze in a workout.  It might mean giving up tv programs, going out, or scrolling through  mindless crap on their phone.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh I'm not disputing that people can make changes at all. Or get used to something difficult. I know getting up at 4:30 would suck the joy out of my life and therefore there would have to be a really really really good reason for it and it would have to be for a short duration of time. I did it for a couple months and hated every minute of it. 

RE- wife- whenever I look at something exceptional I want someone else to do I try to figure out if that's reasonable as an ask. Asking her to get up at 4:30 probably goes to "not a reasonable ask" if it's b/c of something that's not mission critical to the family. I see here that she has other options beyond that so asking her to workout at 7:00 while you put the kid down probably falls under "reasonable ask" if that's yall's thing (being fit and in shape). I temper my irritation with my spouse and kids to the reasonableness and importance of what I want done from them.  Or at least I try to.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

The bold is a big part of it for me. I just got a 2 meat plate from Stiles Switch. Lean Brisket and turkey and a double side of tomato cucumber salad. I could barely eat half of it. Like 4oz of protein and not even a full side order of the cucumbers and tomato. My calorie tracker says it's a little over 400 calories and I'm stuffed. I've got enough for another meal...probably lunch tomorrow. I used to eat a Jersey Mike's philly, bag of chips and cookie for lunch...easy 1,500 calories... and I'd be starving by 5:00. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The bold is a big part of it for me. I just got a 2 meat plate from Stiles Switch. Lean Brisket and turkey and a double side of tomato cucumber salad. I could barely eat half of it. Like 4oz of protein and not even a full side order of the cucumbers and tomato. My calorie tracker says it's a little over 400 calories and I'm stuffed. I've got enough for another meal...probably lunch tomorrow. I used to eat a Jersey Mike's philly, bag of chips and cookie for lunch...easy 1,500 calories... and I'd be starving by 5:00. 

Mine is the same experience. Jersey Mike’s Italian, maybe a double meat, finish and still want to eat more, ravenous again in 5 hours. Even being hungry feels different. Used to be 5 hours and I was ravenous to the point I couldn’t do anything else until I ate food. Now I just have a dull pang that feels more like a suggestion I should eat food soon. It’s really weird. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Mine is the same experience. Jersey Mike’s Italian, maybe a double meat, finish and still want to eat more, ravenous again in 5 hours. Even being hungry feels different. Used to be 5 hours and I was ravenous to the point I couldn’t do anything else until I ate food. Now I just have a dull pang that feels more like a suggestion I should eat food soon. It’s really weird. 

For me, that was an amazing benefit. I’m just not hungry. It’s fantastic!
  • Hook 'Em 2

I keep pears at home and in office.  If I feel hungry, I eat a pear.  I probably eat 10 a week.  Much better than eating the junk food we keep in kitchen.

I make big pots of venison/axis/elk with cauliflower rice, steamed mushrooms, and Rao's.  Probably 70-30 veggie to protein.  Then freeze in individual containers.  That or venison chili is my lunch every day.  Oatmeal with a little honey is breakfast. 

• Hook 'Em 2

As someone who was a fat kid, lost a lot of weight in college and slowly gained it all back to being 3 bills, I see both sides here.  Can I blame society/government for allowing there to be so many hidden calories and downright poison in our food?  Sure.  Can I blame my parents for ingraining that I HAVE to eat everything on my plate when I was a kid?  Maybe.  Can I lament that I used to walk and have time to play sports so much more than I do now with my wfh job?  Yes.  

But ultimately, as a grown man the buck stops with me.  If I want to get back down to a good weight (I probably won't ever be sub 200 but I'd be over the moon with 225) I am going to have to stop eating so much and start moving around a lot more.  I've already cleaned up my diet considerably with the help of my wife (she is 120 lbs and very health conscious) but I just eat too much.  I'm sure my brain has been wired to not feel satiated, but I can just get used to it.  I have before.  Ultimately my weight is my responsibility.

But I also would never belittle anyone for getting surgery or using medications (though the latter seems like way too much of a gray area to do willy nilly), and I don't think anybody has really done that in this thread.  I will deride people who don't even give an effort and say they can't do anything about it, which is the majority of fat people in the US.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That’s my schedule, but one half hour earlier. Unless I’m in trial, on vacation, or sick, that’s pretty much been my schedule for the past eight years when I decided to get my ass into shape. Yeah, I’m an outlier, too, and I know very few people who do this. But I’ve never been much of a night owl, and I don’t like late afternoon or evening workouts when the gyms are packed and have a high bro factor. And both as a single dad and during my marriage I was the one who had morning duty with the kids. So early morning workouts became a necessity, then a habit.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gurt said:

As someone who was a fat kid, lost a lot of weight in college and slowly gained it all back to being 3 bills, I see both sides here.  Can I blame society/government for allowing there to be so many hidden calories and downright poison in our food?  Sure.  Can I blame my parents for ingraining that I HAVE to eat everything on my plate when I was a kid?  Maybe.  Can I lament that I used to walk and have time to play sports so much more than I do now with my wfh job?  Yes.  

But ultimately, as a grown man the buck stops with me.  If I want to get back down to a good weight (I probably won't ever be sub 200 but I'd be over the moon with 225) I am going to have to stop eating so much and start moving around a lot more.  I've already cleaned up my diet considerably with the help of my wife (she is 120 lbs and very health conscious) but I just eat too much.  I'm sure my brain has been wired to not feel satiated, but I can just get used to it.  I have before.  Ultimately my weight is my responsibility.

But I also would never belittle anyone for getting surgery or using medications (though the latter seems like way too much of a gray area to do willy nilly), and I don't think anybody has really done that in this thread.  I will deride people who don't even give an effort and say they can't do anything about it, which is the majority of fat people in the US.

Need to feel satiated? Try keto man. 

Legal question: I have lots of largites visit the office. The office chairs are only rated to 350-400lbs. Do I need a disclaimer of some sort that if you weigh over 3.5 bills, please stand in the waiting room? What's the best way to handle the problem?

During my travels through the SEC all of their issues from being fatasses to their stupidity becomes readily apparent.

Every gas station has a buffet of fried goodies that would make a Golden Corral veteran jizz gravy out of their tear ducts. The churches are in 1000x better shape than the schools. 

I looked like an Adonis compared to all the tubs of goo waddling around jerking it to jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

Maxim’s sexiest woman alive checks in at 5’9” 201 pounds. Why does a magazine that’s supposed to be for men to objectify women and indulge in their basest instincts actively hate their subscriber base?  Maxim used to be dedicated to finding the hottest women in the world and photographing them in as little as possible. Now this?  
Does she qualify as a fat person surly?  

• Fuck You 1