Val (Val Kilmer) documentary-Amazon prime

Bogeywon

Guest Lobo

They probably do by now, this was a few years ago.  One of the guys went on to say, that the perfunctory "financial literacy" deal the NFL puts on for rookies each year is a joke.  It's both incredibly condescending and also antiquated at the same time...sucks with regard from everything from taxes to investments. 

The misperception that many fans have about these guys blowing money on clubs and jets and cars.  It's a little bit true but what really hurts the players is poor treasury management.  Making a few big paychecks over a few months turn into many smaller paychecks over a few years.  But the real killer was the friend/family member getting them to invest in a "business idea."  they at least get advised that you just can't give $100k to your cousin, but you can certainly become an LP in your cousin's distillery for $100k.  And a few of those investments go south (and they usually do)...and that's how they're outta money in 3.8 years or whatever it is.  

To tie that back to Val Kilmer.  It doesn't happen as often with actors.  I mean, lots of actors go belly-up because they only got 4 paying gigs to begin with.  But the ones that have staying power and make a few million or more, they seem to fare better on average than the NFL player that made a few million over a decent career.  They both have agents that want them to be financially stable.  They both have employers and 'handlers' that want to keep them out of trouble, not party too hard, not get pinned down by a psycho significant other, etc.  But invariably some of them make really bad investment decisions.  

Anyway, I'd like to see this ranch.  

• 1 year later...

So with nothing better to do on Tuesday, I watched this. Save for Real Genius, one of my favorite movies from the 80s (Chris Knight being one of my favorite characters), I’ve never been much of a Val Kilmer fan.

But something about this intrigued me. Apparently, Val basically lived with a video recorder by his side for most of his waking life since childhood, and he saved most of his film. There’s typical life’s joy and heartache in there, and some of it tugs at the heartstrings. There’s also glimpses of the Val we all read about, who could be an intolerable asshole to work with, and I’m not sure if he included that stuff as a confession or a justification. But the footage from his various film sets and some of his iconic costars was pretty cool. And overall he seems like he had a good relationship with his parents and his own kids (again, who knows how much of that is filtered through selective footage, but what’s there seems very genuine). And, of course, there’s the weird Val, seemingly living on a different plane than most of us.

And regardless of what you thought of him, it’s rough seeing a once blockbuster film star a shell of his former self recovering from throat cancer, and having to plug his feeding tube just to speak. 

I’d give this a shot if you haven’t. It might surprise you.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 2