Val (Val Kilmer) documentary-Amazon prime

Bogeywon

Guest Lobo

VKK5H at UNM?  

Poor Lobos.  

(for the record, Kilmer's "Spartan" may be Mamet's best film and that's saying something.  He was absolutely brilliant in it)

20 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He is crazy, and is a piece of shit. Ask basically anyone in New Mexico. 

He's definitely crazy.  Met him through a client.  But it's the same crazy as anyone who's been told for three decades that they're wonderful in every way and all their ideas, works, and thoughts are brilliant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This is the type of crazy where he fired 6 law firms in the process of selling his ranch, and before selling, would routinely go to town and walk restaurant bills. Locals hated him. I’ve heard so many stories on the guy that it’s more than a creative genius nuts. He really is scum.  

Yes, that's exactly the type of crazy I mean.  A superiorty complex to the point that you can't even conceive of a person being better at anything than you are, regardless of relative training and experience.  All people are beneath you.  Any wild-ass whim that comes into your head is a conception of symphonic beauty.  Any highly-researched or deeply-rooted belief of the very experienced expert is subject to being dismissed by your most flippant thought.  Because you're you and they're, well, something less.

Been around a few people in my life who spent some time being worshipped by the masses (and constantly sucked up to by people whose livelihoods depended on them).  That's just how they are.  

Edited by Liquor and Poker

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Years ago, two of my son’s bank colleagues went out to his ranch “compound” along the Pecos (I believe) to negotiate the repossession of his ranch.

Kilmer was a bit inebriated, and demanded that the bank not sell his place to that “fucking cunt neighbor”*  across the river.

*Jane Fonda

😂

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This had to have been 6-7 years ago. He sold to a friend of mine. Friend of mine hates Kilmer. He’s as conservative as they come - absolutely loves Fonda. She will talk for hours about him - never about her. Kilmer needs to die. 

I will pass that on to my son. He just missed going out there himself. Lol

They described Kilmer as swilling beer, belching, and letting his potbelly hang out.

49 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Years ago, two of my son’s bank colleagues went out to his ranch “compound” along the Pecos (I believe) to negotiate the repossession of his ranch.

Kilmer was a bit inebriated, and demanded that the bank not sell his place to that “fucking cunt neighbor”*  across the river.

*Jane Fonda

😂

Well she kind of is a cunt.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

He's definitely crazy.  Met him through a client.  But it's the same crazy as anyone who's been told for three decades that they're wonderful in every way and all their ideas, works, and thoughts are brilliant.

He's a real genius 

This had to have been 6-7 years ago. He sold to a friend of mine. Friend of mine hates Kilmer. He’s as conservative as they come - absolutely loves Fonda. She will talk for hours about him - never about her. Kilmer needs to die. 
Tell us more about the wealthy people you know!

You're from Highland Park, aren't you?
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This is the type of crazy where he fired 6 law firms in the process of selling his ranch, and before selling, would routinely go to town and walk restaurant bills. Locals hated him. I’ve heard so many stories on the guy that it’s more than a creative genius nuts. He really is scum.  

5 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This kinda sounds like a one sided stories from your friend who admits to hating him and bought the ranch….   I’m sure he probably is a prick but how much is maybe a bit less then the stuff you get from them. 

Edited by Hook1997

8 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Is Jane Fonda's ranch the same as the Ted Turner ranch? It use to be fairly easy to fish on Ted Turner's property. 

9 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Don’t know how she acquired it but Turner owns a shitload of land. At one point we was the largest private landowner in the US. His big ranch is in Montana. 

I didn't know that. My dad and my son fished on his property in New Mexico and a friend of mine fished there through some sort of corporate deal if I remember correctly.

23 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

You unbelievable bastard.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Armybrat said:

*Jane Fonda

😂

Was his ranch in Hanoi?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Actually I think his ranch in NM is the largest (edit: individually-owned) privately owned contiguous ranch in the US, and his ranch in Montana is the largest in that state.  I don’t know - he’s loaded. Anyway, I doubt Jane carved her ranch out of his. More than likely it was a part of their settlement- the guy has multiple ranches in multiple states. 

Thought the Waggoner was the largest ranch under 1 fence in the US

The old English were right when they considered actors on par with hookers. Amazing how much value our culture places on individuals who do nothing more than entertain us. I mean by that analogy my dog should be a billionaire. Acting might be the most over-value profession in the history of the world.

Edited by Harrison Bergeron
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

How did Kilmer come to own those two massive ranches in New Mexico and Montana?  I know he's done well for himself but he never had a big show with syndication or any massive residuals.  google search says $30mm.  Very nice, but not multiple 7 or 8 figure ranches nice.  Jane Fonda has family money, workout tapes money, plus some of Ted Turner's money.  I get where her ranch proceeds come from.  

Anyway, Kilmer's career has been such a jekyll and hide thing. Comes out hilarious in Top Secret and Real Genius, then goes and plays typical 80's asshole in Top Gun.  Off the grid for 5 years but comes back as a great Jim Morrison (as much as you can make that flat character interesting).  Goes away again, badass in "Heat."  Then I dunno again.  Then starts a great trend of a really deep and rich role (with some great comedy back in the mix) about every two years for a long time.  The Saint, The Salton Sea, Spartan, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, up the way through Kill the Irishman.  And then I have no fucking idea what he's been up to the last decade except drunkenly shouting profanities at Jane Fonda.  

He's led an interesting life.  

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

How did Kilmer come to own those two massive ranches in New Mexico and Montana?  I know he's done well for himself but he never had a big show with syndication or any massive residuals.  google search says $30mm.  Very nice, but not multiple 7 or 8 figure ranches nice.  Jane Fonda has family money, workout tapes money, plus some of Ted Turner's money.  I get where her ranch proceeds come from.  

From 1995 to 2000, he made $7 million for Batman, $7 million for The Saint, $6 million for Moreau, $9 million for At First Sight, $10 million Red Planet.  This doesn't include what he made for Heat, Ghost and Darkness, Prince of Egypt and others.  This was the time frame where he bought the ranch.

Guest Lobo

I guess, but wouldn't the values of the ranches still on his personal net worth sheet?  

That's $40mm in earnings and I assume he lived in California at the time so take off $5mm for agent, manager, PR, and legal/accounting.  Another $15mm to the U.S. and California tax man.  $20mm for 5 years=$4mm/year.  Assuming he lived a decently lavish lifestyle, nothing overboard.  Hard to see how he buys multiple ranches in New Mexico and Montana valued that high.  We know he owns them,  I just found it curious is all.  Maybe it was Batman merch or some shit.  

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He doesn’t own any ranch since his 2011 sale aside from the 15-acre carveout from that sale. Ted Turner owns the bug ranches in NM and Montana (as well as several others). 

Got it.  Didn't go through all the ranch stories.  That would explain that time in 2011 when he sorta fell off the decent acting grid.  I think he also had some health/personal family issues.  Which would explain the documentary they made that I'm guessing none of us will watch.  Ah well, he'll always have "Top Secret" 

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, mr. sunshine said:

Forgot about this one. They should have given Vincent D’Onofrio an Oscar for best actor ever 

I don't think he had the nose for good roles like that though, you know?  

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I guess, but wouldn't the values of the ranches still on his personal net worth sheet?  

That's $40mm in earnings and I assume he lived in California at the time so take off $5mm for agent, manager, PR, and legal/accounting.  Another $15mm to the U.S. and California tax man.  $20mm for 5 years=$4mm/year.  Assuming he lived a decently lavish lifestyle, nothing overboard.  Hard to see how he buys multiple ranches in New Mexico and Montana valued that high.  We know he owns them,  I just found it curious is all.  Maybe it was Batman merch or some shit.  

I don't think it matters where he lived when he earned that cash, it matters where he worked.  For example, I live in Texas and pay no income tax cause I work and live here (thank God) but if I went to California (which no normal person would do) for 6 months and earned an income there I would pay a state income tax on it, cause they suck.  Even though my permanent residence is in Texas.  Also, people who make a good living can afford people who get them out of paying taxes (see every wealthy person in America).  Therefore, Val gets his ranch.

Oh And Jane Fonda is still a fucking cunt.  Fuck baylor while we are at it.  

Oh and I have had a couple of adult beverages so if I am wrong, go fuck yourself.  Of course with all due respect.

Edited by Moby Ric
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Guest Lobo

I think if you live in a state where there is state income taxes, you have to pay them sometimes.  California for instance, where many movie stars live much of the year, can have a high cost of living in terms of taxation.  

But to your point---it only matters where he worked.  And I think when Val was big in movies, I think they still made most of the movies in California.  Hollywood is funny like that.  So if you live and work most of the year in California as a movie star, chances are---you're gonna pay a lot in taxes.  

To open another thread derailment (but fuck it, we went from him as Jim Morrison to ranch rumors), I've heard folks in the NFL describe their tax nightmares because you can live in one state, play 8 games in another state, and play another 8 games in as many as 8 other states (hypotheticaly).  Apparently it's a state income tax shitshow that there's only like 10 people qualified to handle in the whole country.  But on that note---how do they tax actors or directors or even Key Grips who go on location to 3 states, plus principal filming in California or NYC, plus are technically employed by a studio back in California, who may be owned by a parent company in NY or Japan?  Like the NFL where your check comes from one organization in one state, the studio I think pays you at the end of the day, but you physically generated that income in 8 different stadiums or 8 different locations in a bunch of different places.  I guess that's why I never became a famous actor, I hate maths.  

I think if you live in a state where there is state income taxes, you have to pay them sometimes.  California for instance, where many movie stars live much of the year, can have a high cost of living in terms of taxation.  
But to your point---it only matters where he worked.  And I think when Val was big in movies, I think they still made most of the movies in California.  Hollywood is funny like that.  So if you live and work most of the year in California as a movie star, chances are---you're gonna pay a lot in taxes.  
To open another thread derailment (but fuck it, we went from him as Jim Morrison to ranch rumors), I've heard folks in the NFL describe their tax nightmares because you can live in one state, play 8 games in another state, and play another 8 games in as many as 8 other states (hypotheticaly).  Apparently it's a state income tax shitshow that there's only like 10 people qualified to handle in the whole country.  But on that note---how do they tax actors or directors or even Key Grips who go on location to 3 states, plus principal filming in California or NYC, plus are technically employed by a studio back in California, who may be owned by a parent company in NY or Japan?  Like the NFL where your check comes from one organization in one state, the studio I think pays you at the end of the day, but you physically generated that income in 8 different stadiums or 8 different locations in a bunch of different places.  I guess that's why I never became a famous actor, I hate maths.  

It’s surprising that the NFL doesn’t provide tax services for that reason. I know Accenture gives all road warrior employees free tax services so they don’t have to figure it out on their own.