Is there good BBQ in Ft. Worth?

Gil Bang

On 7/9/2021 at 10:28 AM, DeepEastTexas said:

I also want to try Hurtado BBQ in Arlington.  Been wanting to try it for a while now, just can't seem to make the schedule work to go over there.  Anyone had that yet?

I've been to Hurtados twice.  The first time was when they first opened their brick and mortar restaurant and were getting a lot of hype on the BBQ group I'm in on facebook (they have quite a cult following on NTBA).  They were super busy and I thought their food was just ok and was worth at least another trip later down the road.  I went again a few months later and had the same feeling about their food.  Not terrible for Arlington BBQ as their aren't a lot of options around that area.  But if I was recommending BBQ joints for people to check out in DFW, I would recommend Catteack, Terry Blacks, Panther City, Dayne's, Vaqueros and some other places before recommending Hurtados.

I will also say that I probably won't ever go back to Hurtados after I witnessed what we considered a health code violation right in front of us.  We did not eat the Mac and Cheese that we ordered on our second trip there.

1 minute ago, speed817 said:

I've been to Hurtados twice.  The first time was when they first opened their brick and mortar restaurant and were getting a lot of hype on the BBQ group I'm in on facebook (they have quite a cult following on NTBA).  They were super busy and I thought their food was just ok and was worth at least another trip later down the road.  I went again a few months later and had the same feeling about their food.  Not terrible for Arlington BBQ as their aren't a lot of options around that area.  But if I was recommending BBQ joints for people to check out in DFW, I would recommend Catteack, Terry Blacks, Panther City, Dayne's, Vaqueros and some other places before recommending Hurtados.

I will also say that I probably won't ever go back to Hurtados after I witnessed what we considered a health code violation right in front of us.  We did not eat the Mac and Cheese that we ordered on our second trip there.

Cattleack is the gold standard in DFW right now. It's a shame they're only open on Thursdays and Fridays. Maybe one Saturday a month. I'd be there more often if they were open every weekend. 

3 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Cattleack is the gold standard in DFW right now. It's a shame they're only open on Thursdays and Fridays. Maybe one Saturday a month. I'd be there more often if they were open every weekend. 

Yea I miss working down the street from there.  They are very consistent with their food and their pastrami beef rib is one of the best things I've ever eaten.  I also miss their cheesy grits that they took off the menu.  I keep begging Andrew to talk Todd and Misty to bring it back lol

Cattleack is great. Terry Black’s is just as good IMO and much less of a hassle to get at this point. Panther City in Funky Town is amazeballs.

On 7/12/2021 at 1:14 PM, pch said:

We frequent Steagall's nursery on Dick Price Rd. and have driven past Goldee's on several occasions due to the fact they are only open Fri-Sun.  Will be taking home some of the offerings if the initial trial impresses.

Goldee's.jpg

Edited by pch
Well, Goldee's just went to the top three list for barbecue in Cowtown. Brisket had a great smoke ring/bark and the fat had rendered perfectly to make it as moist and tender as any I have had lately. Ribs & sausage were one hundo as well.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The cheese grits were fantastic.  I was a little apprehensive when watching them being spooned into the container as they seemed a little thin, but they firmed up by the time we got to the table and kicked ass.  Potato salad was good as well. 

33 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Those pork ribs look mean. Need to try. 

They were just perfect-fall off the bone, sweet pepper flavor, and took home  a couple left over from lunch.  I agree with others that Goldee's will probably be in the Texas Monthly top 50 in the next round.  Hopefully they will expand their hours of operation to handle the word of mouth popularity that will be forthcoming.

And shout out to dmtx who was seen today during our visit examining the huge smokers used by Goldee's

Edited by pch
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pch said:

They were just perfect-fall off the bone, sweet pepper flavor, and took home  a couple left over from lunch.  I agree with others that Goldee's will probably be in the Texas Monthly top 50 in the next round.  Hopefully they will expand their hours of operation to handle the word of mouth popularity that will be forthcoming.

And shout out to dmtx who was seen today during our visit examining the huge smokers used by Goldee's

Glad you liked it.  I'm going tomorrow.  I've been telling anyone who will listen that Goldee's is legit.  It's the best in FW for my money.  It's going to suck when the Top 50 list comes out and they start getting really crowded.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Glad you liked it.  I'm going tomorrow.  I've been telling anyone who will listen that Goldee's is legit.  It's the best in FW for my money.  It's going to suck when the Top 50 list comes out and they start getting really crowded.  

If I roll in on a Sunday at 11:00 am I looking at much of a wait?