Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Something about ISU brings out our best basketball. One day I hope we can translate that to a Baylor game

It’s the style. Vic can shut down a team that just wants to shoot 3s. I’ll wait until Baylor gets rid of these elite post players that Kim left 

• Hook 'Em 1

This team reminds me a lot of the Tennessee team in men's basketball.

When those athletic guards (JAT, Harmon and Holle) disrupt the point of attack Texas is really difficult to beat. Similar to what Tennessee does with their guards and hedging everything on the perimeter. 

Iowa State essentially said fuck it in the 2nd half and let Joens bring the ball up the court because our guards were so disruptive. 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

Ebo, Warren, Holle and Rori have had great games 

Holle in the starting 5 has solved our biggest problem. Texas was getting off to terrible starts because Warren, Gaston and Ebo together is way too slow of a starting 5 to run a full court press. Schaefer kept trying to press with that group and it doesn't work with those 3 together. 

Texas should never play Warren with 2 bigs. Either play 1 big with Warren at the 4 or 2 bigs with Holle. Warren is a good half court defender but she's not very athletic so if you play her with 2 bigs it makes it nearly impossible to run Schaefer's full court press. 

Holle, JAT, Harmon is a very disruptive backcourt defensively and all 3 are athletic which fits perfectly with the full court press. Holle's insertion into the starting 5 allows Schaefer to actually run his system. 

The Harmon/Holle/JAT/Ebo/Warren combo has been SO GOOD lately - Vic is definitely in "ain't broke, don't fix it" mode with this rotation.  It doesn't start the game (Gaston for Warren) because it keeps Warren out of foul trouble - she had 3 fouls but played 24 minutes off the bench. 

Moore got minutes, but also had 2 fouls in 3 minutes.  She struggled with Joens (most do) and didn't see Joens in Ames, so not surprised.  Matharu played 22 minutes and didn't commit a foul, but ISU was not letting her get off any shots (5 shots taken) - she did chip in 5 boards.  Hunter and Lattimore got time, but not much. 

The freshman (Lattimore, Moore, Hunter) and Matharu need to know the minutes are there *next year* - Ebo, Warren and JAT are likely gone.  Vic is probably expecting a similar Holle-type offseason buy-in from those 3, as am I. 

Out of all of the freshman, Harmon was just the most ready to play day 1.  She's had her struggles, but last night was *chef's kiss* - 20 points, 2 three pointers, 6 boards, 9 assists, 6 steals

Texas shot 50% from the floor, 50% from three and 80% from the line (4-5), won the boards by 8 (had 12 offensive boards) and only turned it over 10 times.  They limited one of the best offenses to 40.5% shooting, 33.3% from three (only 4 of 12), 19 turnovers and only 4 offensive boards.   Texas had 64 shots compared to 42 for ISU. 

Even though ISU shot 50% in the third and 40% in the fourth - Texas shot 64% in the third and 69% in the fourth.  That's how you come out of the half. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

And my other scattershots - 

Texas has 6 ranked (at the time) wins this year, which LHN said was the most since 2016-2017.  Stanford, A&M, ISU x2, KSU, OU.  Oh how close this team was to having 2 more (Tennessee 4th Q collapse and OU last second loss). 

Texas' resume:
18-6 overall, 8-5 in conference
Road win at #3 Stanford, a sweep of #12 ISU, road win at #30 Princeton, a split with #31 OU, a win over #33 KSU, a road win at #42 A&M
7-5 versus the top 50 NET with 2 more games left versus the top 50 (both on the road) 

Left to play:
@ #70 WV (quad 1 game)
@ #33 KSU (quad 1 game)
#148 TCU
@ #35 KU (quad 1 game)
#80 OSU

Can we go 5-0? Yes.  4-1 would be fantastic and we finish 12-6 in conference, which is a game better than last year. 

If ISU wins out (means winning at home against Baylor), they win the Big 12 by a game (15-3 to 14-4).  Texas can finish as high as #3 in a couple different scenarios (sweep the rest of our games; drop a game at KU but KSU beats OU; drop the game at KSU but Kansas beats OU) or #4 (most likely due to tiebreakers).   Texas has tiebreakers over OU due to 2-0 record against ISU. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

The freshman (Lattimore, Moore, Hunter) and Matharu need to know the minutes are there *next year* - Ebo, Warren and JAT are likely gone.  Vic is probably expecting a similar Holle-type offseason buy-in from those 3, as am I. 

I thought by now it would be the Gaston and Moore show down low but the senior Ebo is still dominating the post minutes. Moore and Hunter have been way slower to develop than I thought they would, both were injured early but should have had plenty of time to get going, but that doesn't appear to be happening. You can see Vic try to work them in, but the games right now are so important he goes back to the experienced players quickly.

I originally thought Shay Holle was a “nice” player but now she looks to be a very important piece going forward, far more skilled than I thought. You can see her confidence growing each game and moving into the starting lineup and getting on the Vic weekly show can only help.

I honestly thought we'd be lucky to have Warren 60% of the games but she has been in every contest. She seems to be playing a bit less reckless and maybe the collar is helping as well.

We are starting to peak at the right time, some players are getting better and it looks like Vic has this team figured out now. Love us getting back on D, that was a real problem and good for 4 to 8 points a game.  We have 5 very doable games to get rolling leading into the post season. If we keep above the #16 mark that should get us into the second weekend which would be my goal for this squad.

As long as we are not playing f’ing Baylor I feel really good about this team.

minutes2.jpg