Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

The committee's second reveal of the top 16 is tonight.  Gonna guess we have dropped to a 3 seed.  We are #10 in NET.  Baylor is def up to a #2 seed at 6 in NET.  Oh what could have been. 

Texas has another crack at a Q1 win with #27 OU coming to town on Saturday.  The rest of the schedule shapes up as:

@ #66
@ #30
@ #34

Minimum, we need 5-2 in that span to keep our top 16 hopes alive.  6-1 would be great for keeping us in a 3 seed with the potential to move up a seed line if we get wins over OU and ISU. 

5-2 gives us a 11-7 finish, which matches last year.  6-1 gives us a 12-6 finish.  Regardless, I think we are not guaranteed, but very on track for finishing for the #4 seed in the conference tournament with 11-7 or 12-6.  

Thanks for putting that together for us.

11 hours ago, Iguana said:
BENCH MIN FG 3PT FT OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF PTS

L. LattimoreF -- 4-5 0-0 0-0 3 6 9 0 0 3 3 2 8

Latasha with the third most minutes at 30, a great game by her, loved the quick baseline drive for two. She's gonna be a good one.

The other unexpected hero from last night was the free throw shooting - 12 for 13 at 92%. Would have been a very different game if we shot our usual 64%

I don't know what Matharu needs to do to quit fouling but that needs to get fixed. As poorly as we shoot she has to stay on the court.

Get back on D, keep Aliyah on the court and somehow drag that shooting % up to the mid 40's and we should make it to the second weekend no problem.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Latasha with the third most minutes at 30, a great game by her, loved the quick baseline drive for two. She's gonna be a good one.

The other unexpected hero from last night was the free throw shooting - 12 for 13 at 92%. Would have been a very different game if we shot our usual 64%

I don't know what Matharu needs to do to quit fouling but that needs to get fixed. As poorly as we shoot she has to stay on the court.

Get back on D, keep Aliyah on the court and somehow drag that shooting % up to the mid 40's and we should make it to the second weekend no problem.

She gambles too much on defense.  Doesn't play defense with her feet either.  I'm guessing the dumb fouls + gambling on defense leading to easy buckets by the opponent is driving Vic insane.  Ariel Atkins' first 2 years were the same - she used to sit 75% of games because of foul trouble; she finally learned to play defense with her feet and it got her drafted.   The dumb fouls also seem to be frustration fouls when her shot does not fall, which I think Atkins used to do too.  But really - you can't come into the game and commit 2 fouls in 52 seconds.

Lattimore is so important to this team where the opponent's inside length gives us fits - she's so long and lean, she can do a lot.  She just needs to put on a lot of muscle, she's a beanpole.  She was a great pickup though. 

Texas actually made some noticeable adjustments between the game in Austin and this one, despite scoring 61 in both games (one win, one loss) - we dribbled less and stopped trying to go inside to get our shit blocked - didn't hate the jumpers.  We got blocked 9 times in Austin, which likely contributed to us shooting 29.2% overall.  Only 1 block by Tech last night and shot 37% (not great, but way better). 

It really was just a miserable shooting night - JAT 4-14, Harmon 2-10, Warren 5-13. Just ugly. Which boggles my mind - Matharu has foul trouble and Hunter plays 0 minutes, even after Vic praised her following the second Baylor game? 

Tech probably wins if Vivan Gray takes a few less shots (10-22) because everyone else shot decently for Tech. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Thanks for posting that @Iguana Great video.
What a great guy, lot’s of love for his team, for the tech players and for Coach Krista.   Concerning the dustup:  “Coach do you chalk that up to competitive nature?”    “No.”   aaaand Latasha with the – we done here.

nol2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Is she implying Vic is a poor role model?

I really do not like Kim Mulkey Lite

Agree... seems like she might wear a Mulkey t-shirt underneath here tech gear.

Better image of the quote.... that's some passive aggressive bullshit !!!

FLQIUHNWUAc9xzo?format=png&name=900x900

Edited by LTtxfan

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Is she implying Vic is a poor role model?

I really do not like Kim Mulkey Lite

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree... seems like she might wear a Mulkey t-shirt underneath here tech gear.

Better image of the quote.... that's some passive aggressive bullshit !!!

Yeah, there's a new witch in town.

She's trying to play the gender card there. If you stand up for your team against a female coach it's because you don't treat women right.

That would be an incorrect assumption Ms Gerlich. An asshole is an asshole, male or female, and deserves to be confronted.

• Hook 'Em 4

Man idk if y'all seen this, but twitter is UP IN ARMS because A&M staffer Sydney Carter wore this on Sunday's breast cancer awareness game against Kentucky:

Twitter Defends Female Basketball Coach After Trolls Criticize Her Fly Game Day Outfit (yahoo.com)

Apparently this is "unprofessional" for a WBB staffer.  I ask where tf the outrage is for some of the godawful things Kim Mulkey wore/wears, including leather pants. Not everyone has to dress in a discount rack looking pantsuit like Pat Summit used to wear. 

texas am womans basketball coach

A&M WBB's twitter person ain't having it:

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Man idk if y'all seen this, but twitter is UP IN ARMS because A&M staffer Sydney Carter wore this on Sunday's breast cancer awareness game against Kentucky:

No, didn't see that. Irritating. Sydney Carter can wear whatever she wants to, fully support her raising breast cancer awareness.
Interwebs always losing their shite over nothing, just don't beat us on the court Sidney.
Women always dealing with sex/dress related issues along with normal job stress wherever they work.
Skinny white woman wears that and we wouldn't be talking about this today. Vic can probably get away with only owning one suit....

Semirelated issue Gerlich wore those spikey red shoes on Wednesday,(hating on her for other reasons not the shoes) but I wondered
if those couldn't damage the court? Used to be a thing, maybe a 1970s problem though. Karen did...

Also I laughed in the last longhorns postgame interview when Vic patted Lattimore and Warren's legs during the interview while complimenting them.
I do that and I'm spending some quality time with HR the next day. He is such a father figure and obviously means nothing by it so it's not an issue at all.
He gets a zero rating on the lech vibe-O-meter. By contrast I'm a 7 that goes up to a solid 8 on Fridays.
Most of the time it looks like the ladies are affectionatly trying to keep Father Vic from getting himself in trouble with the refs, press, etc.

vic7.jpg

Game 23: #16/17 Texas (16-6, 6-5 Big 12) vs #12/15 Oklahoma (20-3, 9-2 Big 12)

Saturday, Feb. 12, 2022 – 7:00 p.m. Central
Frank Erwin Center (16,540) – Austin, Texas

GameDay Quick Facts:
• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally on Longhorn Network. Alex Loeb (pxp) and Andrea Lloyd (analyst) will call the action.
• RADIO: 105.3 The Bat broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network. Craig Way (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.
• SERIES: Texas leads, 36-27. Last meeting: Oklahoma 65-63 (Jan.29 , 2022; Norman).

LEADING IN: The No. 16/13 Texas Women's Basketball team will look to build off of some momentum Saturday evening as they play host to No. 12/15 Oklahoma in round two of the Red River Rivalry inside the Frank Erwin Center . The Longhorns are coming off a hard-fought 61-56 victory at Texas Tech on Wednesday which snapped a three-game losing streak. The Sooners are coming off a 101-99 double overtime shootout win over West Virginia in their last outing.  

THE SERIES: Texas and Oklahoma will meet for the 64th  time overall on Saturday evening. The Longhorns own a 36-27 advantage over the Sooners in the all-time series and have won seven of their last 10 meetings. Oklahoma edged Texas 65-63 in their first meeting of the season on Jan.29 in Norman.

UPDATED TOP 16 SEEDS RELEASED: The NCAA Division I Women's Basketball selection committee released its updated projections for the top 16 seeds for 2022 NCAA Championships with Texas being projected as the No. 15 overall seed in the tournament.  

The Longhorns were paired in the Bridgeport Region as the No. 4 seed along with No. 1 N.C. State, No. 2 Michigan and No.3 UCONN. South Carolina earned the top overall seed with Stanford, N.C. State and Louisville holding the other regional No.1 seed spots.

THE SCHAEFER FORMULA: Longhorn head coach Vic Schaefer makes no secret in the way his teams have found success over the years. Relentless full court defensive pressure, attention to detail, and limiting turnovers and mistakes have been built in to the identity of his programs. The 2021-22 Longhorns are no different ranking among the best in the country in several defensive categories.  UT currently ranks No. 1 in the Big 12 and No. 39 in the NCAA holding opponents to just 56.6 points per game. They also lead the league and rank No. 10 nationally in turnovers forced at 22.4 per contest.

SCOUTING THE SOONERS:  Oklahoma has turned heads throughout the 2021-22 campaign establishing themselves as a legitimate Big 12 title contender under first-year head coach Jennie Baranczyk. The Sooners currently sit in a first-place tie in the Big 12 standing with a 9-2 mark in league competition.

The Sooners possess one of the most explosive offenses in the country as they lead the league and rank No. 2 in the NCAA in scoring at 86.2 points per game. They rank No.2 in the conference and No. 8 nationally in three-point shooting averaging 9.5 triples per contest.

OU is led offensively by seniors Madi Williams and Taylor Robertson, who are averaging 18.6 and 18.0 points per game, respectively. Williams ranks No. 4 in the Big 12 in scoring while Robertson is No.5.Robertson leads the NCAA in made three-pointers (94), three-pointers per game (4.09) and ranks No.3 in three-points field goal percentage (46.8).

Taylah Thomas is the teams' second leading scorer at 9.8 points per game and leads the team on the glass averaging 8.6 rebounds per game. Anna Llanusa (17.3) and Skylar Vann (11.7) are the other Sooners averaging double figures offensively. Williams leads the team on the glass averaging 8.0 boards per game  

NEXT: Following Saturday's matchup, Texas will return to the floor on Wednesday, Feb.16 (7 p.m., LHN) as they entertain No. 9/9 Iowa State inside the Frank Erwin Center. The Longhorns hit the road on Feb. 20 as they head to Morgantown to take on West Virginia (11 a.m., ESPN 2)

oksched.jpg

okroster.jpg

On 2/10/2022 at 8:25 PM, TommysTinyTowels said:

Yeah, there's a new witch in town.  She's trying to play the gender card there. If you stand up for your team against a female coach it's because you don't treat women right.  That would be an incorrect assumption Ms Gerlich. An asshole is an asshole, male or female, and deserves to be confronted.

Yeah Gerlich playing "the poor me and poor women card" is a joke.  

Best for Vic to just ignore her bullshit and make sure Texas WBB just kicks Tech's ass from now on...

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Twitter Defends Female Basketball Coach After Trolls Criticize Her Fly Game Day Outfit (yahoo.com)

Apparently this is "unprofessional" for a WBB staffer.  I ask where tf the outrage is for some of the godawful things Kim Mulkey wore/wears, including leather pants. Not everyone has to dress in a discount rack looking pantsuit like Pat Summit used to wear. 

Season 6 Flirt GIF by Friends

• Haha 2

On 2/11/2022 at 10:09 AM, Js1 said:

Outfit was fierce 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Vic is a stubborn fool. We have consistently been beaten deep on the inbounds and we haven’t adjusted. Stop pressuring and get 4 players back on a made bucket. 

Easy easy easy. Massive coaching fail after Baylor killed us doing that 

Edited by Js1

I don’t want to hear shit about that call. Jennie B has been bitching like crazy to get calls. Shut the fuck up lady. 

I’ll say it - I’d rather deal with Mulkey than B and Gerlich. Really sick of these new female coaches in this league deciding to suck up the attention whore oxygen 

Edited by Js1

Not a fan of the screaming coaching style, to players or to officials.  At least not often.  Beard and Vic both do it.  This lady does it. You can coach tough and you can lobby the officiating without screaming at them from 6” away.  I wish more referees would call Ts in basketball and unsportsmanlike in football to calm it down. Baseball seems to have it about right, if not a little too strong from some sensitive umpires. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not a fan of the screaming coaching style, to players or to officials.  At least not often.  Beard and Vic both do it.  This lady does it. You can coach tough and you can lobby the officiating without screaming at them from 6” away.  I wish more referees would call Ts in basketball and unsportsmanlike in football to calm it down. Baseball seems to have it about right, if not a little too strong from some sensitive umpires. 

Chasing an official down the sideline screaming like an unhinged lunatic is not a good look by Jennie B

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

What happened?

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

What happened?

Jennie is just unhappy and she was following the official down the sideline screaming at him as unhinged as she could look. She did earn a T in this game 

Edited by Js1