Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

What’s the new coach situation in college station?   Is Vic going to retire here?

Blair made comments today in his final postgame about the importance of elevating assistants who worked hard and not hiring flashy win the press conference types.  A direct endorsement of his top assistant, Kelly Bond White. Speculation he only came back this year to really groom her to take over 

Vic seems to like it here. And GB retiring was not a big surprise - he had to have had that talk with Gary before he took the Texas job 

Edited by Js1

If KU wins on Sat versus OU, we are the 3 seed. If OU wins, we are the 4 seed (tied at 13-5 but OU has the tiebreaker based on their 2 wins versus Baylor)

Looks like we will face either KU in a 4-5 matchup or KSU in a 3-6 matchup in the conf tournament 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Even with a minute of intentional fouls, they still shot 3 more fts than Texas did. 

so many fouls called. 

Texas shot 20 free throws in the 4th Q. 16 of our 25 points in the quarter were from the line.  We didn’t shoot any in the 3rd quarter and only 4 in the first half. Just the weirdest fucking box score 

KU scored 24/60 points from inside the arc and 21/60 at the line.  The refs kept them in this game. 

Edited by Js1

Allen-Taylor, Ebo lead No. 9 Texas women past Kansas, 70-60

By AVERY OSEN, Associated Press  43 mins ago

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — Joanne Allen-Taylor scored 20 points, Lauren Ebo had 12 and No. 9 Texas outlasted Kansas 70-60 on Wednesday night.

Texas (22-6, 12-5 Big 12) has won seven straight games and hasn’t lost in nearly a month.

After trailing 27-25 at halftime, the Longhorns scored 14 of the first 16 points in the third quarter and never lost the lead again.

“This is a team that will play their guts out and play really hard,” Texas coach Vic Schaefer said. “They had great fight today to beat a good Kansas team.”

Holly Kersgieter led the Jayhawks (19-8, 10-7) with 18 points and Zakiyah Franklin added 16. Kansas has lost three straight and could fall as low as fifth in the Big 12 after being one game out of first place two games ago.

“I was disappointed with some of our body language during the game,” Kansas coach Brandon Schneider said. “We’ve got to come back tomorrow and be ready to play well at Oklahoma.”

Ebo scored eight of her 12 points in the third quarter and Texas led by as many as nine in the period. Deyona Gaston added 10 points for the Longhorns.

“These kids are great kids and playing at a really high level,” Schaefer said. “Today is a great example of their toughness, resilience and competitive spirit. Wasn’t a great shooting day for us, but we did other things very well. I couldn’t be more proud of this group.”

The Jayhawks had 22 turnovers and the Longhorns scored 29 points off those mistakes.

“I thought we had too many compound mistakes in the fourth quarter,” Schneider said. “It’s a game of small margin and we gave them too many extra possessions.”

Texas shot 24 of 59 (41%) while Kansas shot 17 of 46 (37%).

BIG PICTURE

Texas: It wasn’t the prettiest win, but the Longhorns are playing well at the right time. They avoided being swept by Kansas in the season series for the first time since 2012.

Kansas: The Jayhawks had too many turnovers to beat a top-10 team.

UP NEXT

Texas: Hosts Oklahoma State on Saturday.

Kansas: At No. 19 Oklahoma on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Allen-Taylor, Ebo lead No. 9 Texas women past Kansas, 70-60

By AVERY OSEN, Associated Press  43 mins ago

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — Joanne Allen-Taylor scored 20 points, Lauren Ebo had 12 and No. 9 Texas outlasted Kansas 70-60 on Wednesday night.

Texas (22-6, 12-5 Big 12) has won seven straight games and hasn’t lost in nearly a month.

After trailing 27-25 at halftime, the Longhorns scored 14 of the first 16 points in the third quarter and never lost the lead again.

“This is a team that will play their guts out and play really hard,” Texas coach Vic Schaefer said. “They had great fight today to beat a good Kansas team.”

Holly Kersgieter led the Jayhawks (19-8, 10-7) with 18 points and Zakiyah Franklin added 16. Kansas has lost three straight and could fall as low as fifth in the Big 12 after being one game out of first place two games ago.

“I was disappointed with some of our body language during the game,” Kansas coach Brandon Schneider said. “We’ve got to come back tomorrow and be ready to play well at Oklahoma.”

Ebo scored eight of her 12 points in the third quarter and Texas led by as many as nine in the period. Deyona Gaston added 10 points for the Longhorns.

“These kids are great kids and playing at a really high level,” Schaefer said. “Today is a great example of their toughness, resilience and competitive spirit. Wasn’t a great shooting day for us, but we did other things very well. I couldn’t be more proud of this group.”

The Jayhawks had 22 turnovers and the Longhorns scored 29 points off those mistakes.

“I thought we had too many compound mistakes in the fourth quarter,” Schneider said. “It’s a game of small margin and we gave them too many extra possessions.”

Texas shot 24 of 59 (41%) while Kansas shot 17 of 46 (37%).

BIG PICTURE

Texas: It wasn’t the prettiest win, but the Longhorns are playing well at the right time. They avoided being swept by Kansas in the season series for the first time since 2012.

Kansas: The Jayhawks had too many turnovers to beat a top-10 team.

UP NEXT

Texas: Hosts Oklahoma State on Saturday.

Kansas: At No. 19 Oklahoma on Saturday.

Heard on the radio broadcast tonight from Craig Way, that today was Vic's birthday.....Happy B'day Vic!

• Hook 'Em 1

Great win.

Michael Huff has agreed to match the $10k announced by Vic.

The WBB team is also having end of the FEC festivities as the men had.  The 10k fans thing is getting real momentum and advertising. I’d drive over but I’m reffing my own game at the exact same time on Saturday.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I'm really interested how this roster plays out because I think one and maybe even two of Allen-Taylor, Ebo, and Warren might run this back next year. 

No clue how the scholarships are going to work though. 

Texas is currently at 12 scholarship players with Chevalier's departure and 3 seniors (Ebo, JAT, Warren).  We are bringing in 3 freshman (Codio, Jak and Muhammad).  

If all 3 came back (they all won't), Texas would be at the max (15) assuming no other transfers out and no open 'ships for anyone to come in via the portal. 

If Texas is going to land Rickea Jackson (good possibility), 2 of the 3 seniors could come back to put us at 15.  We cannot exceed the 15 scholarship limit after this season, as it was a one season exception for 2021-22. 

Personally, I'd bring back Ebo if she expresses a desire, but JAT and Warren will likely move on.  Warren for her health and JAT because she has a legit career coming up in engineering.  

Bring back Ebo + land Rickea Jackson + find a grad transfer PG looking for Texas to pay for her master's degree for a year (Texas is at the max pending no current players transfer out)
No seniors come back + land Rickea Jackson + find a grad transfer PG + 1 open ship for whatever Vic wants to do with it

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I wouldn’t count out WVU upsetting ISU this weekend in Morgantown. WVU is gaining confidence after beating KSU in Manhattan yesterday, and ISU is slipping a bit

A WV win might put them into bubble territory. So they’ll be ready 

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I wouldn’t count out WVU upsetting ISU this weekend in Morgantown. WVU is gaining confidence after beating KSU in Manhattan yesterday, and ISU is slipping a bit

The best scenario - 

Texas wins
Kansas wins
WV wins

Baylor #1 seed at 15-3 (or 14-4 if they lose to Tech)
Texas #2 seed at 13-5
ISU #3 seed at 13-5
OU #4 seed at 12-6

Texas faces winner of 7 vs 10 (WV vs OSU or WV vs TCU depending on what happens with the TCU-KSU game)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1