Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Texas wins 65-50 in front of 12,000 fans and finishes 13-5 in the Big 12. Two games better than last year.  8 in a row - longest conf streak since 2005

Eyes to Norman and Morgantown to see if Texas will be the 2 seed or 3 seed next week. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

OKST actually outscored us in both the 3rd and 4th quarters.....

Zone defense befuddled us a bit. Means Vic has something to work on in practice. He’d probably prefer that 

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Oh boy

if we stay a 3, I do not want to see Kentucky as the 6 

They’ve moved up to a 7 seed. Still think Texas has a chance to steal a 2 seed if they beat KSU on Friday and knock off ISU for a third time 

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The disadvantage of the 3 seed is we play the late game on Friday (7:30) and then turn around and play at 2:30 on Saturday. 

Texas needs to beat KSU, beat ISU and reach the championship to have a realistic shot at stealing the 2 seed from ISU.  Also ideal if OU can keep KU at bay and then knock off Baylor for us in the semifinals.  Both Texas and OU would be trying to do 3-0 season sweeps of ISU and Baylor to secure top 16 seeds (OU is still a 4 in projections, but a third win over Baylor would solidify that)

I don't understand why this stupid fucking conference is a week late in starting their conference tournament - SEC (Kentucky), ACC (NC State), Pac 12 (Stanford) and B1G (Iowa) all finished yesterday.  The Big 12 will finish their conference tournament on March 13 - same day as the Selection Show.  Other teams will be resting and rehabbing for almost 2 full weeks before the first weekend (March 18-21) while the Big 12 is playing all the way up to Selection Sunday. 

Edited by Js1
  • Rage+1 1

Also we should get All Big 12 awards.  If I had to guess:

POY - NaLyssa Smith
Defensive POY - Ayoka Lee
FOY - Harmon
Newcomer - Jordan Lewis
Sixth Woman of the Year - Matharu
COY - Collen or Jenny B (I can make the case for either one - Collen started 0-2 and won the Big 12 in year 1; Jenny B flipped a 12-12 (9-8) team to 23-7 (12-6) and 4th place in year 1 and took 3/4 from OU and Texas) 

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

FOY - Harmon

Sixth Woman of the Year - Matharu

I think Harmon will get FOY but it's much closer than I'd hoped between her and Sundell.

Rori played 29 games to Serena's 30 with Rori averaging 28.6 minutes per game and Serena at 32.3

Serena better at the line and far more of a 3 point threat, 23 blocks to 1 for Rori, also quite a few more assists.

Rori surprisingly with quite a few more boards at a much shorter height, less turnovers with more steals.

IDK who will get FOW for last week but Rori still with one more than Serena. Like @Js1 says the other K state girls may split the vote in our favor.

Seems like Harmon is getting more national love but that may be due to the other good freshman at KState and my biased view from Austin.

God I hope she gets it.

No clue about Matharu, don't really know who else is in the running, Aliyah started a bunch of games don't know if that will have an effect.

rh_ss.jpg

Rori - better shooting % overall, better rebounder, similar in scoring, leads the league in steals, and led the team to a 3rd place finish. 

Matharu only started 11/28 games.  She came off the bench more than she started, especially by the time we hit conference play. 

Pre-tournament AP poll

Stanford #2 (win)
Baylor #4 (two losses)
Texas #7
Iowa State #10 (two wins)
Tennessee #19 (loss)
OU #21 (one win, one loss)
Princeton #24 (win)
KU RV (one win, one loss)

Texas goes 6-5 against the final top 25/receiving votes prior to the postseason. 

2 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I think Harmon will get FOY but it's much closer than I'd hoped between her and Sundell.

Rori played 29 games to Serena's 30 with Rori averaging 28.6 minutes per game and Serena at 32.3

Serena better at the line and far more of a 3 point threat, 23 blocks to 1 for Rori, also quite a few more assists.

Rori surprisingly with quite a few more boards at a much shorter height, less turnovers with more steals.

IDK who will get FOW for last week but Rori still with one more than Serena. Like @Js1 says the other K state girls may split the vote in our favor.

Seems like Harmon is getting more national love but that may be due to the other good freshman at KState and my biased view from Austin.

God I hope she gets it.

No clue about Matharu, don't really know who else is in the running, Aliyah started a bunch of games don't know if that will have an effect.

rh_ss.jpg

I really want Rori and/or Matharu to win something because it's been a while since we won an All-Conference award.  The last time was 2016-2017 - Texas cleaned up with COY (Aston), POY (Brooke McCarty), DPOY (Brianna Taylor) and FOY (Joyner Holmes).  We haven't won a single All Conference of the Year award since that season. 

Edited by Js1

Would be some bullshit if the biggest difference in the Texas and isu seasons are the Baylor games and they get the higher seed based on that despite the 2-0 head to head metric. 
I guess it’s set up for a third matchup in the conference tourney but I’m not sure that 2-1 makes a huge difference in my statement, if that were to happen. 

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would be some bullshit if the biggest difference in the Texas and isu seasons are the Baylor games and they get the higher seed based on that despite the 2-0 head to head metric. 

ISU is also 0-2 versus Baylor and neither game was even close.  Lost 62-87 in Ames and 61-87 in Waco.  To go along with losing 48-66 to Texas in Ames and 48-73 to Texas in Austin. 

# of Q1 wins: Texas (8-4 versus 6-5)
H2H: Texas (2 wins)
Non-conf win: Texas (at #3 Stanford vs. #13 Iowa at home)
NET: Texas (8 vs 10)
Massey: Texas (7 v 8 )
AP Poll: Texas (7 vs 10)
# of Q1 + Q2 wins: ISU (16-5 vs 14-5)
No bad losses: ISU (Texas has a Q2 and a Q3 loss)
Big 12 finish: ISU (2nd vs. 3rd)
SOS: ISU (Texas #42 with 451-323; ISU #19 with 497-315)
Competitiveness in losses: Texas (ISU has 4 of 5 losses by double digits and an average loss of 20.6 ppg; Texas has 2 of 6 losses by double digits and an average loss of 7.2 ppg) 

Texas opens with #37 KSU, which is a Q1 game at a neutral site.  ISU gets either WV (NET #62 - Q2 game) or TCU (#155 - Q3 game).   With a win in our conference opener, Texas would add a 9th Q1 win to its record. Beat ISU and it's 10 Q1 wins and a 3-0 H2H.  Hard to think the committee would ignore that. 

6 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don't understand why this stupid fucking conference is a week late in starting their conference tournament - SEC (Kentucky), ACC (NC State), Pac 12 (Stanford) and B1G (Iowa) all finished yesterday.  The Big 12 will finish their conference tournament on March 13 - same day as the Selection Show.  Other teams will be resting and rehabbing for almost 2 full weeks before the first weekend (March 18-21) while the Big 12 is playing all the way up to Selection Sunday. 

And I don’t think they’ve ever come out with a good, justifiable reason for it being a week late unless the coaches like it (which I find is a reason most things happen in college basketball.)

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

They want it aligned with the mens tournament for some reason, even though other conferences prefer the women play the week before  

Besides basically giving up a week of rest, the Big 12 women's tournament also will only have the first 2 games on Friday morning and the championship game on Sunday on TV.  All other games will be on ESPN+ as the Big 12 stupidly tries to compete with almost every conference‘s men’s tournament getting first priority on TV over them 

Goodbye to this stupidly managed conference. Also the women’s tournament should be in Dallas. The men’s tournament in KC prioritizing the biggest brand (KU) but Dallas would be better for OU, Baylor and Texas on the women’s side