iGen / Gen Z

Neonmoon

The iGeneration or Generation Z, Born from 1995 - 2012 

So our company is recruiting this generation now. They are just out of college. I just saw this sentence in a recruitment strategy letter and eye rolled so hard I started time travelling. 

I will rewrite the sentence in case of some copyright shit I don't know about. 

"We need to engage people's feelings and communicate with stories - and maybe don't rely on rigid data points or factual information as in previous recruitment periods"

I can't even. 

/old man yells at clouds. 

Every generation bitches about the generations below, and how the world is destined to end because the young folks don't think like the old folks.  We'll all be fine.  All you can do is this:

You fathers and you mothers 
Be good to one another
Please try to raise your children right

I got my info from https://www.careerplanner.com/Career-Articles/Generations.cfm

Defintely not accurate. Just a guestimation. 

Generation Name Births
Start
Births
End
Youngest
Age Today*
Oldest Age
Today*
The Lost Generation -
The Generation of 1914
1890 1915 103 128
The Interbellum Generation 1901 1913 105 117
The Greatest Generation 1910 1924 94 108
The Silent Generation 1925 1945 73 93
Baby Boomer Generation 1946 1964 54 72
Generation X (Baby Bust) 1965 1979 39 53
Xennials -  1975 1985 33 43
Generation Y - 
The Millennials - 
Gen Next
1980 1994 24 38
iGen / Gen Z 1995 2012 6 23
Gen Alpha 2013 2025 1

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/03/here-is-when-each-generation-begins-and-ends-according-to-facts/359589/

But this link shows that the dates overlap. 

30ebe0c8d.png

So our company is recruiting this generation now. They are just out of college. I just saw this sentence in a recruitment strategy letter and eye rolled so hard I started time travelling. 
"We need to engage people's feelings and communicate with stories - and maybe don't rely on rigid data points or factual information as in previous recruitment periods"
I can't even. 

Bring on the new and improved Soylent Green. This generation may make it happen. ;-)

As a Gen-X'er I always referred to that era as Generation PerpleXed.

No /CR here but one thing I've noticed is that every generation up to and including Baby Boomers tended to become more conservative as they aged and ascended into power (government office, bureaucracy, etc.) - my observations of Gen X, however, seem to be less migration towards conservationism.

It would be an interesting study to measure the political/social views of each generation and how they changed/migrated over time.

1 hour ago, Grippe said:

As a Gen-X'er I always referred to that era as Generation PerpleXed.

No /CR here but one thing I've noticed is that every generation up to and including Baby Boomers tended to become more conservative as they aged and ascended into power (government office, bureaucracy, etc.) - my observations of Gen X, however, seem to be less migration towards conservationism.

It would be an interesting study to measure the political/social views of each generation and how they changed/migrated over time.

Get X'ers have were always cynical from the beginning and that's migrated itself towards political pragmatism that's neither liberal nor conservative, it's just pragmatic.  You see that in consumer shopping habits with them as well.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:19 AM, Neonmoon said:

I can't even. 

Why is this bad?  Most companies fall in love with data but have no idea what they're wanting to do with it.  Meanwhile, people like stories and the Gen Z crowd is no different.  If you can't build a story from the data then the date is useless.

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Why is this bad?  Most companies fall in love with data but have no idea what they're wanting to do with it.  Meanwhile, people like stories and the Gen Z crowd is no different.  If you can't build a story from the data then the date is useless.

I am not oblivious to you’re sentiment. I agree that companies need to do a better job connecting to everyday people. I’m just reading the tea leaves here. The narrative is shifting from executing a good job to making sure everyone feels like we did a good job. The product could be shit but as long as everyone believes in themselves, it’s all great. 

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I am not oblivious to you’re sentiment. I agree that companies need to do a better job connecting to everyday people. I’m just reading the tea leaves here. The narrative is shifting from executing a good job to making sure everyone feels like we did a good job. The product could be shit but as long as everyone believes in themselves, it’s all great. 

That’s been Apple’s philosophy for at least the last two iPhones and they’re one of the largest companies in the world...

I'd like to add some more about this age group.  (They're the next "millennials" that everyone will be focusing on in 5 years.  They're just as large the millennials.)

If it makes sense at all, they're both extremely shelter but very practical.  You won't see them borrowing $100K to major in lesbian studies.  Even now, expensive liberal arts schools in small towns are having major problems.  Don't discount the importance of who their parents are, either.  While the boomers sucked the asses of their kids (millennials), the Gen Xers parented the Gen Z crowd and imparted some of their cynicism.  These kids are very smart and internet savvy.  You seen those Parkland kids?  They're also a tad bit cynical like their parents.  For their entire lives, we've been at war and been cutting school funding.

However, they're sheltered.  They've spent years taking tests without much critical thought and when they get to college and are exposed to something foreign, they freak.  My personal theory is that their Gen X parents know the struggle it is to make it to the upper middle class and stay so they brow beat their kids into making good grades without leaving room for anything else.  Also, being that America is very economical segregated at this point, these kids don't know anyone not like them which makes them sheltered.  

No generation is better or worse than any other.  (Except for the Boomers.  Fuck them.)  The rest are just different.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mole said:

Keep in mind that this memo is based on what some olds think the kids want, which isn't necessarily reality.

This is a very good point I overlooked. It ties in with my general belief that HR makes up new programs and initiatives every year to justify their jobs