Name your top 5 regional/national cuisines

Patricio Swayze

2 hours ago, hornbri said:

Tex-Mex (Street Tacos and Mole)

Mole is most certainly not tex mex. Street tacos maybe sort of. 

But also I fucking love both and they are both - when done right - some of my absolute favorite food so no judgement. Just say Mexican and get away with the entire phenomenal umbrella. 

Edited by ztejas

16 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Nope, not at all. 

This sounds like it's going to be a really stupid debate that I'm not interested in engaging in so sure, whatever you say. I guess I forgot to put "New York food" on my list. 

@We’reTexas you know what... I'm being a dick. I get what you mean. I just think there's too much diversity when it comes to what you can get down there that it's a tough concept to define. Like if someone asked you what your favorite food is and you said "New Orleans" food they'd probably ask you to expound. Also - Cajun and Creole are a bit different I suppose but those two together cover most of it so I'd just say Cajun/Creole or New Orleans Creole or some such. Just the name of a city doesn't make any sense. 

I promise I'm fun at parties. Sometimes. 

Edited by ztejas

Indian

Chinese

Mexican

Italian

Tex BBQ

these are really broad categories and leaves out some other broad groups like French, Thai, Vietnamese, Med, Japanese etc. all of which could just as easily be on the list.  Generally not on the list is Southern comfort foods which are bland, greasy American fare and the reason most Americans are obese.  The spice blends of all the Asian groups set them apart IMO. 

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

This sounds like it's going to be a really stupid debate that I'm not interested in engaging in so sure, whatever you say. I guess I forgot to put "New York food" on my list. 

@We’reTexas you know what... I'm being a dick. I get what you mean. I just think there's too much diversity when it comes to what you can get down there that it's a tough concept to define. Like if someone asked you what your favorite food is and you said "New Orleans" food they'd probably ask you to expound. Also - Cajun and Creole are a bit different I suppose but those two together cover most of it so I'd just say Cajun/Creole or New Orleans Creole or some such. Just the name of a city doesn't make any sense. 

I promise I'm fun at parties. Sometimes. 

Oh yeah, I get what you mean. I was just pointing out that Cajun country is west and south of New Orleans, and New Orleans Creole is the product of the port city’s confluence of French, Spanish, Afro-Caribbean, Italian and Irish immigration. It’s a common misconception to conflate the two because they are from south Louisiana, but they have distinctly different roots. It’s all in the gumbo. I would argue there is definitely a “New Orleans restaurant”, but that’s for a different thread. 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Mole is most certainly not tex mex. Street tacos maybe sort of. 

But also I fucking love both and they are both - when done right - some of my absolute favorite food so no judgement. Just say Mexican and get away with the entire phenomenal umbrella. 

I know. I actually went back and forth on what to call it. But decided their were enough Tex mex places with mole on the menu to get away with it.