S10e won't quit with the "moisture in the charging port" bullshit

7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I've done the needful and tried the things the interwebs instructed but so far no dice. For some reason doing a factory reset doesn't seem like it will solve the problem. Anyone dealt with this? It's been several days. It should have dried out by now 

The sensor may be faulty.  DId the needful include a quick spritz of WD40?  Do it with the phone off and maybe blow it out with some canned air after a few minutes.  WD40's actual designed use is water dispersal/displacement.

It is conceivable that it is a software glitch after being triggered by actual water, so a reset may help.

Also, fair warning, an S10 is probably nearing the end of its useful life.  Glitches and gremlins are probably going to start appearing with regularity, especially if you do the "security updates."

• Hook 'Em 1

I had this issue on my S9. It's the charging port getting worn out and unreliable. Contacts and connections getting rickety, etc. 

Don't blast it with air or WD40, and don't do the factory reset if you haven't already. It'll just piss you off when you can't reconfigure your settings just the way you had them, and it won't solve your problem. 

Go to your nearest ubreakifix and they'll know exactly what to do. It'll cost you about $100, and is a pretty easy repair - length of time will basically depend on whether they have the part in stock (common enough that they likely will) and how busy they are. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I had this issue on my S9. It's the charging port getting worn out and unreliable. Contacts and connections getting rickety, etc. 

Don't blast it with air or WD40, and don't do the factory reset if you haven't already. It'll just piss you off when you can't reconfigure your settings just the way you had them, and it won't solve your problem. 

Go to your nearest ubreakifix and they'll know exactly what to do. It'll cost you about $100, and is a pretty easy repair - length of time will basically depend on whether they have the part in stock (common enough that they likely will) and how busy they are. 

eh, if I'm gonna spend $100 it's going to be toward a new phone. this one is 2+ years old. I usually try to ride them out till they quit. This may be the case here (especially coupled with the battery starting to go downhill).

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2

I've had this issue with my S9 and have found it to be more of a cord issue than a phone issue. Going from my car charger to the one I have at home always lets me get a good charge.

Always start with the cord/charger for any of these issues. They are cheap and wear out quickly, and even if it isn't the issue then you're only out 10 bucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

For an inexcusably long time, the charging port was integral with the motherboard on phones.  Samsung started making it a separate, more easily and cheaply replaced part starting with the S5, I believe.  So yeah, it probably is going out.

That said, I have yet to have a USB-C flake out and have had several last many multiples of times longer than the garbage that was microUSB.  I have found that the WD40 and air blasting can keep those pieces of shit going an extra month or two.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That said, I have yet to have a USB-C flake out and have had several last many multiples of times longer than the garbage that was microUSB.  I have found that the WD40 and air blasting can keep those pieces of shit going an extra month or two.

If that's working it usually means there is some crap in the port that is really... really stuck. Use a sewing "pin" or something very similar to scratch it clean basically (turn off phone first).  There will probably be a little bit of hard as rock lint that eventually comes out.  Also can tell if cable doesn't fully seat or has any wobble to it then this is likely the problem too.

• Hook 'Em 1