Media/$9.95-er postgame analysis articles (Week 5)

satyanash

Card may have the arm, but in the pig game he threw 3 straight long ball passes without making any correction for ball spin.   Even the announcers were like WFT, does he not know the ball is spinning and you have to adjust it?   Multiple throws floating off to the right with absolutely no adjustment.  Anyone talking about Card ready for anything other than clipboard duty is regarded. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I hate QBR in this situation, because it misses a lot of factors. Card in Fayettenam with no running attack is a horrific situation for a young QB, especially with Ark moving the ball up and down the field. Casey had the lead and Bijan was carrying the offense. The level of difficulty is not close. That said Card spit the bit and panicked, that is the one thing you cant do. You really cant say Casey was worse, even if TCU LBs didnt drop those passes. Another thing that QBR doesnt include, poor decisions that luckily end up with the ball rolling on the ground. 

or using your feet to get some very needed first downs to extend drives. Casey had a bad game and his teammates picked him up. I don't disagree that Card drew a worse hand but as you said Sark probably saw the panic at fayettenam and it affected the team.  not necessarily Card's fault either.  Coaches have that responsibility.

I think Card will be a very good QB if we can keep him.  Its a battle. Card may or may not want to battle. Casey needs to improve or Card could be coming in if Casey isn't hitting open receivers with clean pockets.

If I'm Card I stay as long as I feel my coach is making it a fair fight.  I see no reason it isn't a fair fight at this point.

16 minutes ago, chase25 said:

2007 Nebraska in Austin. 

Colt was 12-28, 181 yards and an INT

Jamaal ran for 290 yards on 33 carries and 3 TDs

That Nebraska team went on to finish 5-7 and Texas needed a heroic effort from Jamaal Charles at home to win 28-25. Bad games happen to the best of them, even Colt but people forget them because of how many good ones he went on to have.

That game is seared into my memory. It must have been the emotion of it all. Very similar ending to our Okie lite game that same year.

3 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Card may have the arm, but in the pig game he threw 3 straight long ball passes without making any correction for ball spin.   Even the announcers were like WFT, does he not know the ball is spinning and you have to adjust it?   Multiple throws floating off to the right with absolutely no adjustment.  Anyone talking about Card ready for anything other than clipboard duty is regarded. 

i dont know what that announcer was talking about but its wrong. the ball spinning does not make the ball go to the right. this isnt golf and every pass isnt a fade or a slice.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

If I recall. Off to the right to Whitt in the endzone. Whitt could have made a better play of the ball, but not a good throw. Terrible pass over the middle to Whitt (?).. The pass to Worthy down the sideline was more on a suspect route, than ball placement. That was the announcer doubling down on his spin comment. 

Edited by Codaxx

7 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i dont know what that announcer was talking about but its wrong. the ball spinning does not make the ball go to the right. this isnt golf and every pass isnt a fade or a slice.

This.  If you're running to the right as you throw the ball it will also fade right because physics and shit.  But the spin rate on an oblong spheroid thrown in a spiral is not going to cause any appreciable lateral movement.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jinx said:

This is the play I'm talking about. He caught it and immediately fell down. It looked to be just a touch out front, and maybe it was Keilan's fault instead of Casey, but when I saw this view I was thinking TD.

image.png.c89da86d3da6127b0a589eb87f5e6e36.png

Here is the moment he caught the pass:

image.thumb.png.09a8c6aeb37612b3d0639a001031f3f9.png

The ball hit him squarely in the hands with a little bit of forward momentum and room to run. He just stutter stepped a bit and tripped on his own feet. That one isn't on Casey. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Here is the moment he caught the pass:

image.thumb.png.09a8c6aeb37612b3d0639a001031f3f9.png

The ball hit him squarely in the hands with a little bit of forward momentum and room to run. He just stutter stepped a bit and tripped on his own feet. That one isn't on Casey. 

That pass was about as perfect as you can get, you want to hit them in stride.  If X catches a few of those 4 drops it's a totally different stat line.

38 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I will let the physics majors discuss the particulars but this article disagrees:

"Due to the gyroscopic effects of a spinning football, the way the ball behaves in the air actually varies based on whether the quarterback is right or left-handed. A ball thrown by a right-handed quarterback will curve slightly to the right, and one thrown by a left-handed quarterback would do just the opposite. Understanding this is essential to throwing an accurate pass."

https://interestingengineering.com/the-math-behind-throwing-the-perfect-football-spiral

Regardless, he had 3 straight long ball attempts all floating right and made no adjustment.  He is not ready for prime time.

Edited by Horn Dog

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

I will let the physics majors discuss the particulars but this article disagrees:

"Due to the gyroscopic effects of a spinning football, the way the ball behaves in the air actually varies based on whether the quarterback is right or left-handed. A ball thrown by a right-handed quarterback will curve slightly to the right, and one thrown by a left-handed quarterback would do just the opposite. Understanding this is essential to throwing an accurate pass."

https://interestingengineering.com/the-math-behind-throwing-the-perfect-football-spiral

Regardless, he three 3 straight long balls all floating right and made no adjustment.  He is not ready for prime time.

he isnt ready because he panicked. He is the more talented passer and that is pretty obvious.  I would have argued for Card during TCU game if Ark was a disaster and he threw 3 picks, which Casey tried to do vs TCU.  Instead he essentially froze. From my experience it is easier to get an aggressive player to hold a punch, than to get a passive player to throw a punch. 

21 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

Regardless, he had 3 straight long ball attempts all floating right and made no adjustment.  He is not ready for prime time.

It says slightly, but I doubt it's more than a few inches (not a physics major so someone correct me). Regardless, the spin rate and resultant curve is the same for every of the other 10,000 deep balls a QB has thrown in his life.  There really shouldn't be the need for a conscious correction by a QB.  If he misses then his aim was just bad, it's not that he didn't account for spin.

Now, when I've really seen it drift is when the QB is moving side to side but most QBs already subconsciously adjust for that.  It's not like they haven't made every throw you see on gameday hundreds of times in practice.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

Sark is repeatedly scheming guys wide ass open deep and we just can't execute, whether it be because of the OL or QB. It's severely hampering the offense and we still put up 32 points against a Patterson D. If Sark can get a QB in place that can distribute the ball accurately to all areas of the field and an OL that can protect him then watch out.

I think it's absolutely both on the OL and the QBs. The QBs have little seasoning dealing with it. While the OL is improving, I doubt it will quickly enough. Casey will have to improve dealing with it and I think he will. How much and how fast he improves we shall see. But I'm encouraged by Sark's comments on how he preps for games. I think he will certainly apply himself in watching film and mentally repping those situations. He is certainly motivated to keep the starting job, so it won't be for lack of effort on his part if he continues to struggle.

22 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

It says slightly, but I doubt it's more than a few inches (not a physics major so someone correct me). Regardless, the spin rate and resultant curve is the same for every of the other 10,000 deep balls a QB has thrown in his life.  There really shouldn't be the need for a conscious correction by a QB.  If he misses then his aim was just bad, it's not that he didn't account for spin.

Now, when I've really seen it drift is when the QB is moving side to side but most QBs already subconsciously adjust for that.  It's not like they haven't made every throw you see on gameday hundreds of times in practice.

I honestly have no idea, but the announcers included Greg Mcelroy (Bama and Giants QB) who either made the comment or did not correct it.  The article clearly states you need to adjust for it "to throw an accurate pass" so I don't think it's inconsequential.  I agree with your last statement, which was why it was so perplexing that he made no adjustment over several throws and watched the balls sail right over and over.  

Regardless, I don't think any of us are disagreeing about anything of substance.  Yes Card is probably the  better long term QB, and also wasn't ready this season for whatever reason, but probably mental immaturity.  We all hope that he gets over that quickly cause otherwise he will end up being another Gilbert.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Horn Dog said:

the announcer was/is an idiot.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

he isnt ready because he panicked. He is the more talented passer and that is pretty obvious.  I would have argued for Card during TCU game if Ark was a disaster and he threw 3 picks, which Casey tried to do vs TCU.  Instead he essentially froze. From my experience it is easier to get an aggressive player to hold a punch, than to get a passive player to throw a punch. 

To be fair, i dont think Card panicked or froze. He didnt throw several picks or make several questionable decisions. He just tried to be too perfect, too careful. Instead of playing the game and using his talents and instincts, instead of taking over the game and just playing, he tried to execute every play too perfectly. he tried to execute the offense to a fault, and ended up being mechanical, overly-careful and overly-cautious. the kid is a grinder and will be fine. when he gets his chance again, he just needs to go play ball.

until then, i think we are in good hands with Casey. 

Casey had an awful game and his receivers didn't help, with the exception of Whitt. That said, I don't remember seeing any signs of panic. He stayed calm and ran the offense, just not very well.

I'll be curious to see how the team plays on the road the rest of the season. The two best teams we've played were both on the road. (TCU isn't all the much better than Tech, but they fired up for Texas so played much tougher.) Most teams play better at home, but there seems to be a significant difference between the offense and the defense. The defense seems fairly consistent from game to game with stretches of good play mixed with poor drives/plays. The offense is completely different at home and on the road. I can't tell yet if that is the competition, the atmosphere, or both.