Homebuilding interior options, help!

On 6/7/2018 at 5:37 PM, Stunns38 said:

What’s up!

What are your opinions on Thermador appliances? The builder offered us that brand as an alternative to GE.

Never heard of it.

http://www.thermador.com/

Thanks

Thermador is a premier brand - worth the extra money.

Also, when installing bathroom towel racks and toilet paper holders, do not let them use drywall anchors/molly bolts. Put in cross braces or whatever so things can be screwed directly into 2x4s.

• Like 2

Thermador is a premier brand - worth the extra money.

Also, when installing bathroom towel racks and toilet paper holders, do not let them use drywall anchors/molly bolts. Put in cross braces or whatever so things can be screwed directly into 2x4s.

Thanks, good rec on the bathroom racks. Construction start will be in 3 weeks so we’re getting close to finalizing.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I’m researching third party inspectors for the pre-drywall inspection and here is what one said.

“Weekley’s reputation has grown tarnished over the years as they have opted into a value engineering technique referred to as “advanced framing”. Burgess has always had a bad reputation in my profession, and with good reason.”

I wonder if there is any truth to that...especially about Burgess(the builder’s third-party inspector) based out of DFW. I asked him to elaborate on Burgess.

So, I’m researching third party inspectors for the pre-drywall inspection and here is what one said.

“Weekley’s reputation has grown tarnished over the years as they have opted into a value engineering technique referred to as “advanced framing”. Burgess has always had a bad reputation in my profession, and with good reason.”

I wonder if there is any truth to that...especially about Burgess(the builder’s third-party inspector) based out of DFW. I asked him to elaborate on Burgess.

Just because one uses advanced framing doesn’t mean it’s an inferior product. It is used to reduce the amount of lumber used and also increases the insulation performance of the house.

The idea behind this is to reduce the amount of lumber needed to construct a home and at the same time increase the insulation performance of the home.  For example most homes have 2x4 studs on 16" centers.  Advanced framing uses 2x6 studs on 24" centers.  This increases the amount of insulation and decreases the amount of thermal bridging.

12 minutes ago, milkman said:

The idea behind this is to reduce the amount of lumber needed to construct a home and at the same time increase the insulation performance of the home.  For example most homes have 2x4 studs on 16" centers.  Advanced framing uses 2x6 studs on 24" centers.  This increases the amount of insulation and decreases the amount of thermal bridging.

Gotcha, I like the reduced framing aspect and the increased thermal mass.  I'm a little skeptical on the thermal bridging aspect.  Studs are covered by sheathing and a vapor barrier now.  How much heat/cool is transferred thru a stud into the house ?  Not saying it's not a thing, just wondering how much of a thing it is.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Gotcha, I like the reduced framing aspect and the increased thermal mass.  I'm a little skeptical on the thermal bridging aspect.  Studs are covered by sheathing and a vapor barrier now.  How much heat/cool is transferred thru a stud into the house ?  Not saying it's not a thing, just wondering how much of a thing it is.

There is quite a bit of heat/cool transferred through thermal bridging.  Huber has a really good product, r-sheathing, that eliminates thermal bridging.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Slab prep is underway.

Upgrades:

Engineered maple grey Hardwoods on first floor(have kids), 16X16 tile in kitchen, upgraded padding and carpet upstairs. Also upgraded stair railing with horizontal modern design. That was damn expensive.

Upgraded counter with quartz and wife wanted mosaic backsplash.

Added kitchen cabinet stacks since we have 10.5 ft ceilings.

Upgraded dishwasher, oven, and fridge.(paid difference over builders credit)

Kitchen island wrap

Added additional cabinets and sink to utility room.

Upgraded master shower, sinks, everything to my wife’s desire.

Upgraded front door.

Added 16 can lights in various areas.

Added 8 outlets. The House was well covered but needed more. The builder laughed at me when I asked to add one to the commode room, lol.

Added 4 conduits for TVs. House comes with cat 5e but hope to get Cat 6. Still waiting for low voltage company quote.

Got gas stub out and electrical outlets on patio. Extended patio as well.

Added ceiling fans to kids’ bedrooms. Only $125 each, why not get it now. Also added fans to patio and balcony outside of master.

Got free dog small room under stairs.

Shelves in garage (super will hook it up).

Spray insulation (not the expensive foam).

Major things that we didn’t upgrade.

Kitchen cabinets were nice enough

Bathroom floors and cabinets.

Wall paint

Most fixtures

Microwave and cooktop.

2nd bath and powder room.

Will get my own inspector at pre-drywall stage. Builder/super is younger and he seems solid but probably not the most experienced.

Upgrades are about 10% additional over base price but with credits, we’ll end up paying 6% or so...and yes, we know that builders inflate some pricing but David Weekley is fair on most upgardes besides fixtures and stairs.

We’re on our way.

44 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

Any recs on standard halogen can lights vs. LED can lights? The builder’s price for LEDs is $20 more per can. Is it worth it?

Thanks

LED:

Saves dollars on your monthly cooling/electric bills (in theory at least)

The bulbs last for years.

You can load more fixtures on one circuit because of the reduced wattage I believe.

The color rendition isn't as good with LED's

At some point it'll all be LED, and Halogen and incandescent will go the way of the buggy whip.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Any recs on standard halogen can lights vs. LED can lights? The builder’s price for LEDs is $20 more per can. Is it worth it?

Thanks

Costco LED Retrofit for the win. (or any other place you can get them on the cheap) 

$20 more for LED???? That's a fucking rip off. 

Ask your GC if the electrician will install if you buy. And also ask about discount since they won't be charging you for the light-bulbs or the trim since they are retrofit. They just look so much cleaner. 

I can't remember the exact number but Costco had them on sale and I bought every can light in our house about a year and a half ago. 

imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=8

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 6:42 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I've always found the GE stuff to be good. W'eve had a monogram ref. for 25 years now and had one single thermostat issue that's broken twice  ($200 total costs to repair). But its rolling strong today. Their cooking units look and work well.  Some people will like the Thermador more because it has some cache.

We like our Monogram stuff quite a bit.  Thermador used to be a premium US brand, particularly for gas appliances.  It's now Bosch's fancypants line.  It's not as well made as it once was (ha), and gets quite a few complaints (both according to online, and to our builder, who used to spec it but now recommends against it).  I'm not sure there's much actual difference between Monogram and Profile (the feature sets are or were almost identical), but Monogram does have a higher-end appearance (more steel on the faces, which may serve some enhanced function as well).

• Like 1

LED:
Saves dollars on your monthly cooling/electric bills (in theory at least)
The bulbs last for years.
You can load more fixtures on one circuit because of the reduced wattage I believe.
The color rendition isn't as good with LED's
At some point it'll all be LED, and Halogen and incandescent will go the way of the buggy whip.

Thanks

Check out flush mount LEDs. No can assembly and simpler installation should save money. We ordered our flush mount LEDs for something like 13 bucks online.

I was looking into that as well, the builder said they offered those flush mount LEDs then they said they won’t. I think I’ll ultimately get these with a little pressure on the builder.

Costco LED Retrofit for the win. (or any other place you can get them on the cheap) 
$20 more for LED???? That's a fucking rip off. 
Ask your GC if the electrician will install if you buy. And also ask about discount since they won't be charging you for the light-bulbs or the trim since they are retrofit. They just look so much cleaner. 
I can't remember the exact number but Costco had them on sale and I bought every can light in our house about a year and a half ago. 
imageService?profileId=12026540&itemId=887745-847&recipeName=680

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello y’all.

House is in framing now and is moving along. Got the LED cans because they were standard anyway.

Question, I’ve done research and still can’t decide on Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet wiring. Besides future proofing the house for 100 GB speeds(lol), is it worth an additional $400 to have Cat 6 installed instead of the standard 5e?

Thanks

Hello y’all.

House is in framing now and is moving along. Got the LED cans because they were standard anyway.

Question, I’ve done research and still can’t decide on Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet wiring. Besides future proofing the house for 100 GB speeds(lol), is it worth an additional $400 to have Cat 6 installed instead of the standard 5e?

Thanks

Do me a favor and punch your installer in the dick. His cost is about $10 more for Cat6.

Do me a favor and punch your installer in the dick. His cost is about $10 more for Cat6.

It’s a tract builder so they always gouge you and don’t let you install your own shit. I really don’t have a choice since it’s being framed now.

I will punch them in their cunts for not being flexible.