Austin Telco

Bevo

Any of you schmucks bank at Austin Telco besides me? I have a business account and generally I like them, but I cannot use my bank card. Every fucking time I try to use it for an out of state purchase it gets declined. So this past Friday I let know whoever answered the phone my displeasure with their card protection system and the lady said she understood my frustration and that she would authorize out of area charges for three months (I've done this probably 40 times in the past and I still regularly have problems). Today, I tried to book a flight on Icelandair and the charge was declined. Of course, no one at the bank can answer calls on the weekend and the fraud number on the back of the card only deals with fraud - they can't fix banking issues. So, I have to hope the same rates are available tomorrow or I'll have a half paid trip to Iceland (maybe I can swim home). They have screwed me similarly on a trip to Costa Rica where I had to use another card to check out after a week stay at probably $400 per night. Usually I have an issue once a week where I try to purchase out of state, it gets declined, I call the bank, it gets declined again, I call the bank again, and it finally works. That shit isn't fun. Is there actually a way to fix the problem or do I need to change banks? Do I need to speak with a banking VP? Shit is old AF.

45 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Get a rewards card

Pay with rewards card

Get points

Pay rewards card with bank card

???

Profit!

Yeah, that is obviously the way to go. I don't like having credit card balances but my wife pays all the bills (she is an accountant) - for some reason if I charge it we end up with large balances but we never have an issue if I use a debit card. So, I try not to use reward cards. It is dumb in that I can debit $5K no problem but if I use credit it stays on the card. It isn't worth fighting over, though because I will lose and end up paying the bills. I would rather be on Surly.

• Hook 'Em 1

Been with them for a long time, but never with a card.  Recently had a ton of problems with their Brodie Lane staff.  They were incredibly uneducated in what I needed.  They were arrogant as hell at the start, then had to call Shoal Creek office every step on the way.  

I'm really thinking of moving elsewhere, but the location is convenient.

I think taking care of it myself on their website is the way to go. I called and was told that they removed restrictions on out of state charges but forgot to remove them for international charges. They said online that you can do exceptions for a year whereas a representative can at maximum do it for 3 months.

3 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

Been with them for a long time, but never with a card.  Recently had a ton of problems with their Brodie Lane staff.  They were incredibly uneducated in what I needed.  They were arrogant as hell at the start, then had to call Shoal Creek office every step on the way.  

I'm really thinking of moving elsewhere, but the location is convenient.

They must have some recent staffing issues there, because last year (and previous to Covid) I had them do a ton of stuff - everything from wiring  a substantial amount money overseas to my niece, to car financing to notarizing stuff in the drive-thru.  There were a couple of guys there that seemed really good - probably quit or got transferred.

there is so much wrong with the OP. 

You have never heard of a credit card? use your fucking credit card, that's what they are for. I would never book travel anything without a CC, let alone do almost anything that isn't just billpay with a debit card. You don't use debit cards for shit they have almost no protection at all and the reason they are declining every purchase is to keep you from getting your account jacked, because it's that common.

• Like 1

I use my Telco Visa as a "burner" card - it purposely has a low $2500 limit, so I use it for PayPal and other possibly "sketchy" payments so I know if there's a fuckup I will only be out $2500 max.  I use my rewards card for all other shit and only use the debit card at ATMs, never for anything else.

Regardless of the card limit, you are only out a max of $50 if you report it to the bank. Most banks won’t even charge you that $50.