gun threats at crockett high school

hayden_horn

22 minutes ago, Cap33 said:

One was specific to O. Henry. Still prob just dumb TikTok stunt, but hits a little differently when it's your kid's school versus generalized threats.

Yep. It’s tough having your 6th grader work out his exit strategies depending on tine of day a shooting would start. My kid is pretty anxious about it. He was up early this morning (like 5:10am) and I know it’s due to this fucking thing. 
This stupid social media world we are living in is getting old. 

17 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Welp so O.Henry had 6 kids take drug laced gummies today bringing a rash of cops to school, a fight in the hallway and now a tiktok thread about shooting the school up.

I am not sure I will be keeping my 6th grader there for the long haul. My older son made it all the way through there and it seems like post Covid the place has just come off the fucking rails.

My friends that went private schools took waaaaay more drugs than I ever saw in public schools. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, royiv said:

My friends that went private schools took waaaaay more drugs than I ever saw in public schools. 

Drugs are expensive. 

But you know what almost never happens in private schools?  Shootings.  I don't have a clue why, but 96% of school shootings in this country are in public schools.  I'd rather my kid get high than dead, all else being equal.

18 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Welp so O.Henry had 6 kids take drug laced gummies today bringing a rash of cops to school, a fight in the hallway and now a tiktok thread about shooting the school up.

I am not sure I will be keeping my 6th grader there for the long haul. My older son made it all the way through there and it seems like post Covid the place has just come off the fucking rails.

Well crap! My grandson is a 6th grader there

10 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Drugs are expensive. 

But you know what almost never happens in private schools?  Shootings.  I don't have a clue why, but 96% of school shootings in this country are in public schools.  I'd rather my kid get high than dead, all else being equal.

No doubt. I was just responding to the pearl clutching about kids with gummies at O. Henry and there being a fight in the hallways. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, royiv said:

No doubt. I was just responding to the pearl clutching about kids with gummies at O. Henry and there being a fight in the hallways. 

You can call it pearl clutching but I would rather all things being equal not have open drug use and fights around my kids. I know it happens of course but it doesn't mean I need to be happy about it. Add in the shooting threat directed at the school for today and it has made it a stressful/annoying couple of days.

Especially as Ehlinger died from being given a fentanyl laced pill, the notion that drug laced gummies are being handed out makes me a little nervous. This isn't the old days of being able to fairly easily know what you were being offered/taking. It's a bunch of bullshit now.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

You can call it pearl clutching but I would rather all things being equal not have open drug use and fights around my kids. I know it happens of course but it doesn't mean I need to be happy about it. Add in the shooting threat directed at the school for today and it has made it a stressful/annoying couple of days.

Especially as Ehlinger died from being given a fentanyl laced pill, the notion that drug laced gummies are being handed out makes me a little nervous. This isn't the old days of being able to fairly easily know what you were being offered/taking. It's a bunch of bullshit now.

Pubescent boys are going to fight. Drugs are at every school. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. It's your job as a parent to parent. Even then, kids make dumb decisions. We all did. If you pull your kids out of a school because there's a fight in the hallway and there are drugs in the school, you live in a fantasy world. There are other valid reasons to send your kids to another school,  but those two reasons are dumb, IMO.

Not that my opinion matters in the least!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Pubescent boys are going to fight. Drugs are at every school. You're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. It's your job as a parent to parent. Even then, kids make dumb decisions. We all did. If you pull your kids out of a school because there's a fight in the hallway and there are drugs in the school, you live in a fantasy world. There are other valid reasons to send your kids to another school,  but those two reasons are dumb, IMO.

Not that my opinion matters in the least!

It is just tip of iceberg. Add in the fact that the Superintendent basically won't allow teachers to do any discipline and it is turning into inmates running the asylum.

I am not naive, and I do parent my kids, as a parent I want my kids to be able to go somewhere and learn not have fights nearly daily/weekly happening. AISD is just a mess right now. i had a 9th grader go through OHMS and it wasn't anywhere close to being what it is now. It is like post Covid it has just gone nuts.

Perhaps this will work itself out and normalize, it is just currently on the wrong side of the ledger now.

14 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

It is just tip of iceberg. Add in the fact that the Superintendent basically won't allow teachers to do any discipline and it is turning into inmates running the asylum.

I am not naive, and I do parent my kids, as a parent I want my kids to be able to go somewhere and learn not have fights nearly daily/weekly happening. AISD is just a mess right now. i had a 9th grader go through OHMS and it wasn't anywhere close to being what it is now. It is like post Covid it has just gone nuts.

Perhaps this will work itself out and normalize, it is just currently on the wrong side of the ledger now.

When kids see their parents and their friend’s parents acting like deranged lunatics they think it’s normal and ok.

• Hook 'Em 2

My kid went to school today. She didn't know anything about the TikTok posts or people planning to be disruptive (or worse) today, and we certainly didn't tell her. Most parents keep their concerns about stuff like that away from their kids for obvious reasons. But then about half of her friends went home at lunch because of all the shooter rumors spreading among the kids throughout the morning.

Like BrazilHorn, my older kid went through O. Henry, and there were fights, vaping, gummies (though not actually at school, that we knew of anyway), bullying, etc. I still thought it was a really good experience overall because the staff handled everything pretty well.  Things have changed a lot post Covid for whatever reason, and all of these previously one-offs are now weekly issues with very little effort to deter more bullshit from happening. It sucks.