5A division 1 - Katy Paetow v. College Station

Hagbard Celine

Thinking about it now, I noticed that during the state championship games there have been several schools that are relatively new and making state appearances.  Some are making multiple appearances in a row.  It's a tall order to make the title game, making it regularly makes ya' go hmmm....

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’m sure no shady shit will go down amongst the Katy ISD.  Everything will be 100% legit and above board.

If KISD has the power and corruption to rig Paetow to be championship level, why have they allowed Taylor, Cinco, and Morton to be shitty or mediocre every year? It’s not like having two great 6A teams in district hurts one or the other’s chances because they will both make the playoffs, maybe even different divisions so they could both win state. 

24 minutes ago, slorch said:

Projections aren't fair either.  What if the growth stops?  I feel like measuring "what is" is the best way to go.

It's not fair to go off of "what might be."

TBH, I kind of giggle at 5A and 6A schools griping about attendance disparity when they generally  have 1000- 1500 boys to choose from

This is just for the first four years of the new school history.   If a new school today or as of October 2021  has 2100 students and is 5A, but knows and is preparing for 500 additional students next academic year on the projections done by demographic studies which would put them at 2600 and 6A, that’s where they should go.   These students are not all move ins from elsewhere when they open up schools in ISDs that are growing fast.   Some of them are rezoned and they will phase them in.   Or the schools start off with only Freshmen and Sophomores and then the third and forth year become a full four year campus.  

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

It's funny cuz it's true. The district athletic department is run for the benefit of Katy High football. Somebody somewhere is getting fired for allowing this to happen. 

i think they have 6 hs south of i10 and Katy high is north of i10 (along with paetow now). When they built the new hs stadium, they built it right next to the old one, by Katy hs stadium 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If KISD has the power and corruption to rig Paetow to be championship level, why have they allowed Taylor, Cinco, and Morton to be shitty or mediocre every year? It’s not like having two great 6A teams in district hurts one or the other’s chances because they will both make the playoffs, maybe even different divisions so they could both win state. 

hmmmmmmmm no racist comment …..

there are no black people south of I10 in Katy but a ton of Asians and Indians 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

when i was out there (only 3 high schools back then) if you were good at football you were going to katy.

This was the point I was trying to make earlier. Paetow slipped through the cracks because it’s a new school and kids moved in. They drew the attendance lines in the wrong place. 

The reason all the other schools aren’t perennially good is because Katy High recruits the junior highs on the down low and parents of good players just happen to find new homes and apartments in the attendance zone when those kids start high high school. Same thing will eventually happen to Paetow. Some of it is explicit recruiting, but most of it is informally driven by the reputation. 

Similarly, they opened a new secondary school complex in my kids’ district this year and because the population in that area is so low they allowed families to apply to attend the new school to help prop up the numbers. All of the good underclassman athletes from the other schools ended up there and they ran the table in subvarsity football and just killed everyone else from JV down to 7th grade. Some accusations of recruiting by the coaches and some really upset parents but if people choose to send there kids there on their own based on the reputation there’s not a lot that can be done about it.