Texas Women's Tennis 2022

Js1

Kylie lost, but Peyton won her match and will be in the quarterfinals tomorrow.

also of note, #1 Emma Navarro lost today, so Peyton is now the favorite to win.

The USTA awards the winner of this tournament a wildcard in the US Open as long as the player is American. Peyton is American 🇺🇸  and thus has a lot to play for still

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Hook 'Em 4

55 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Stearns plays for the national championship tomorrow against Connie Ma. Stearns lost to Ma earlier this season in a tough 3 setter. Should be a fun one!

Hell of a week for her! 

https://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/2022/05/champaign-dreams-become-reality-for.html

Stearns, who won the team title last year playing No. 1 as a freshman, said she will make her decision about returning to Texas or turning pro in the next week or two, long before she'll be playing in the US Open as a wild card recipient.

I'm 99.99% certain Stearns will go pro. Along with the US Open main draw wildcard, USTA will probably give her many wildcards to the warm up WTA events (San Jose or Washington DC, Cincinnati, Cleveland). Also likely to get a wildcard into the doubles draw too. Can easily get $100,000 in prize money. Too many opportunities to pass up. 

1 hour ago, Aleemay said:

https://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/2022/05/champaign-dreams-become-reality-for.html

Stearns, who won the team title last year playing No. 1 as a freshman, said she will make her decision about returning to Texas or turning pro in the next week or two, long before she'll be playing in the US Open as a wild card recipient.

I'm 99.99% certain Stearns will go pro. Along with the US Open main draw wildcard, USTA will probably give her many wildcards to the warm up WTA events (San Jose or Washington DC, Cincinnati, Cleveland). Also likely to get a wildcard into the doubles draw too. Can easily get $100,000 in prize money. Too many opportunities to pass up. 

Yeah... hard to argue with coming back if she has the goal to go Pro.

Awesome Stearns winning both team and singles title in the same year at Texas !!!  🤘

Interested to see what Joffe does with Peyton's scholarship- get a transfer, sign an international recruit, or convince someone to graduate early (which I think is least likely)

Should balance  out the scholarship distribution which was looking odd at 0-0-4-4 this year

Best wishes Peyton!

23 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Interested to see what Joffe does with Peyton's scholarship- get a transfer, sign an international recruit, or convince someone to graduate early (which I think is least likely)

Should balance  out the scholarship distribution which was looking odd at 0-0-4-4 this year

Best wishes Peyton!

If there’s a legit line 1 player in the portal, we are a great choice. 

6 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Joffe will be looking for a new assistant coach.

Can't hate when they leave for head coaching jobs.  Means Joffe is doing something right (besides the 2 national titles) 

On 6/6/2022 at 6:49 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

This gave me a good laugh. The best coaching staff in Texas after the Longhorns just won their 2nd straight national title. 

They also apparently have the best player in the state of Texas, after Stearns won the national championship.

Kylie and Peyton beat the Zamarripa twins in the final of a 25k.

Lulu Sun is in the qualies of Wimbledon and will play her first match tomorrow. Can't recall the last time a Longhorn was in a grand slam women's singles draw (either qualy or main).

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Kylie and Peyton beat the Zamarripa twins in the final of a 25k.

Lulu Sun is in the qualies of Wimbledon and will play her first match tomorrow. Can't recall the last time a Longhorn was in a grand slam women's singles draw (either qualy or main).

Well Stearns was in the US Open quailes last year. As I mentioned in post #272, the most recent Longhorn in a slam main draw womens singles I can think of was Jill Craybas