Wordle [spoilers inevitable but discouraged]

Prepuce of Doom

1 hour ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Click Word Players, what is your strategy?  Clear the board asap? Go for combos? Just make words?

I'm probably not the best person to ask, but I consistently score in the 20%-ish range. Bernorange, however, has to be one of the best out there, as he's in the top 1% on the reg.

A couple of things I try to do is maximize the bonus point tiles and not use them all at once too early. I also never try to build a word without having a crossword to take on more points (remember you can later add an S at the end of the word if your hand is forced so that you can always later build a crossing word at the tail end of it if you know one with the letter S). Also, I freely use their dictionary in the upper right hand of the puzzle, because so many of the eligible words are just fucking weird. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm probably not the best person to ask, but I consistently score in the 20%-ish range. Bernorange, however, has to be one of the best out there, as he's in the top 1% on the reg.

A couple of things I try to do is maximize the bonus point tiles and not use them all at once too early. I also never try to build a word without having a crossword to take on more points (remember you can later add an S at the end of the word if your hand is forced so that you can always later build a crossing word at the tail end of it if you know one with the letter S). Also, I freely use their dictionary in the upper right hand of the puzzle, because so many of the eligible words are just fucking weird. 

I am either in the 20% range or in the 'potato' range.  Thanks!  I do use that little dictionary and there are some definite 'wtf' words in there.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BonzoMontreaux said:

Click Word Players, what is your strategy?  Clear the board asap? Go for combos? Just make words?

On 12/28/2023 at 9:00 AM, bernorange said:

It took me a while, but I finally figured out how to best maximize scoring while managing tile usage/anticipation.  My plans don't always work out and sometimes I have to adapt on the fly, but as long as I pay attention to the tile count I generally do pretty well lately.  I had a game a while back similar to what you had today - waited until way too long for a usually very common N to appear and everything fell to shit.

My strategery:

1. Identify rows/columns with multiple 2x tiles and try to think of valid 6 letter words that would fit.  If multiple 6 letter words are possible, choose one with the most common letters.  Set up a 3 letter crossword on the most common letter in the word to complete the cross (so you can wait to complete until everything is set).

2. Same as 1 except using any remaining rows/columns with just one 2x tile.

3. Try to use any free 3x3 square or "L" area to make simple 3 letter word crosses for letters not needed for 1 & 2.

Special tips:

The letter U seems to be rare - only coming once or twice a game.  Don't depend on it for the 6 letter words.  Plan for it if you have a 2x Q tile.

There always seems to be a few K tiles and one Z tile.  If you can use them as the letter that completes a cross, you score bigly.  Learn 3 letter words that begin and end with those letters.

There is a button at the top right that lets you test words to see if they are in the game's dictionary.  Use it!  There are a lot of WTF words that are valid (but hell if I know what they mean!).

~~~

For the lurkers (ie. folks who have not yet tried this game), this game ( ClickWord.org ) is becoming my favorite word game of the lot played here.  There is some luck involved with the tile drops, but not as much as you'd think when you first start out.  After playing a bit, you get a feel for what to expect with the tiles and anticipation gets easier.  There is a lot more strategy in this game than the others.  It also doesn't take that long (compared to Blossom for sure!).

YMMV ...

Another "special" tip - keep an eye on the tile count.  Once it nears 20, consider whether or not you need to change strategy on any big words you are trying to build/complete.

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, bernorange said:

YMMV ...

Another "special" tip - keep an eye on the tile count.  Once it nears 20, consider whether or not you need to change strategy on any big words you are trying to build/complete.

Hehehe, I just go into panic mode! Seriously though, thanks for chiming in!