How I Met Your Father - Hulu

billfromlaketravis

I’m a one episode in, and it’s off to a very rough start. Needlessly modern, woke, and a cheesy laugh track. 

I get why they cast Hillary Duff. Hulu figured they had a built in audience from the Younger crowd, but she sucks in everything. Not to mention she’s 34 with 3 kids, and it shows. It’s also painfully obvious who the father is, so there’s goes some of the fun. 

Other than Younger fans, I don’t know who this is for. People my age want to watch HIMYM. People younger than me want to watch Euphoria. 

One plus, Valentina is thicc. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

We watched episode one last night. It was wobbly for sure. Will give it a chance for a couple of weeks to see if it develops.

The Kim Catrell part isn’t great. Especially the part where she just randomly video calls her son and starts to tell the story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m a one episode in, and it’s off to a very rough start. Needlessly modern, woke, and a cheesy laugh track. 

I get why they cast Hillary Duff. Hulu figured they had a built in audience from the Younger crowd, but she sucks in everything. Not to mention she’s 34 with 3 kids, and it shows. It’s also painfully obvious who the father is, so there’s goes some of the fun. 

Other than Younger fans, I don’t know who this is for. People my age want to watch HIMYM. People younger than me want to watch Euphoria. 

One plus, Valentina is thicc. 

The Ted-style character seems too obvious. My guess is the Indian guy.

The British guy straight up sucks. I guess he’s man candy for female viewers. I don’t see how they can redeem him. 

I guess the nicest thing I can say is that the Brooklyn Bridge scene looked pretty good. Not exactly The Volume, but pretty good. 

I think the only thing that can save this show is the return of Barney. 

we watched both last night.  like someone else said, the original dragged, and i completely skipped the last 2 seasons and have never regretted it.

rough is exactly the way i would describe this so far.  i think it's interesting that 20th went to hulu with this, since you'd assume a sitcom modeled for 2005 would've been right at home at cbs, but that didn't happen.  if cbs is more forward-looking with their comedies than you are, you are the one with the problem.

i only know duff from younger and her character bothered me in that.  she plays the exact same character in this, and according to the wife, this is the only character she's ever played.  she's 34, but let's say she plays 28-32 in the show.  there are better ways to set her up than a string of tinder dates then one that she really connected with, who moves far away.  i don't buy it.

agreed about cattrall, i don't remember ever seeing sagat in the old one, rest in power.  i don't need her popping up every episode, but i'm sure she will.

it also seems like they're trying to carry 7 leads in a multicam sitcom.  that's not easy, and it will suffer for it.  it will also make it very tough if/when she invariably starts dating people, since that's what the entire premise of the show is. 

shows can turn around, but i'm not hopeful.  sucks because there's a real shortage of quality 30 minute offerings.

36 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

we watched both last night.  like someone else said, the original dragged, and i completely skipped the last 2 seasons and have never regretted it.

rough is exactly the way i would describe this so far.  i think it's interesting that 20th went to hulu with this, since you'd assume a sitcom modeled for 2005 would've been right at home at cbs, but that didn't happen.  if cbs is more forward-looking with their comedies than you are, you are the one with the problem.

i only know duff from younger and her character bothered me in that.  she plays the exact same character in this, and according to the wife, this is the only character she's ever played.  she's 34, but let's say she plays 28-32 in the show.  there are better ways to set her up than a string of tinder dates then one that she really connected with, who moves far away.  i don't buy it.

agreed about cattrall, i don't remember ever seeing sagat in the old one, rest in power.  i don't need her popping up every episode, but i'm sure she will.

it also seems like they're trying to carry 7 leads in a multicam sitcom.  that's not easy, and it will suffer for it.  it will also make it very tough if/when she invariably starts dating people, since that's what the entire premise of the show is. 

shows can turn around, but i'm not hopeful.  sucks because there's a real shortage of quality 30 minute offerings.

Methinks Cattrall said no to narration only especially after she got backstabbed by the Sex in the City folks. On camera role or GTFO. 

Yeah, 7 leads is going to be tough. By Cattrall's own admission, Hilary Duff's character is going to run through dudes. I'm guessing they'll do a boyfriend of the week ala Ted Mosby's girlfriend of week. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It doesn’t get better in episode 3. I think Hulu wasted a lot of money on this POS. I don’t think  it’s fixable. They’d have to recast Duff and the English guy and that’s not going to happen. 

it's like you just venmo'd me 30 minutes.  thank you good sir.

• Haha 2

I feel like this thread tells me all I need to know.

I never liked Ted that much in the original, but stuck around to figure out how they were going to do to the obvious and make it seem not obvious.  Barney was of course hilarious, and I always found Marshall likeable.

Show should have been 4-5 seasons, tops.