Liverpool 2018-19 ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!!!

Firemans4Horn

2 minutes ago, Jograves said:

No way. Players let him down. Our heads were never in this. 

the players were never in any positions that led me to believe Klopp wanted to win this match. he left the forward line isolated the entire match. we were outnumbered in every important part of the pitch at every moment's turn and that's a tactical failure. he also had exactly one player on the bench that fit the profile of someone who might be able to connect the dots between midfield and attack and he chose not to sub him. he made a defensive sub in Fabinho and then subbed on Sturridge when it was too late to matter.

• Like 2

Just now, Bodowned said:

the players were never in any positions that led me to believe Klopp wanted to win this match. he left the forward line isolated the entire match. we were outnumbered in every important part of the pitch at every moment's turn and that's a tactical failure. he also had exactly one player on the bench that fit the profile of someone who might be able to connect the dots between midfield and attack and he chose not to sub him. he made a defensive sub in Fabinho and then subbed on Sturridge when it was too late to matter.

Bingo. This was a Mou tactic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jograves said:

What would you have done differently? Personnel or timing?

Shaqiri should have replaced Milner at halftime. Sturridge on sometime after depending on how the game went. He fucked up pretty bad this game and I’m one who rarely criticizes his use of subs

At some point you have to give the other team credit too. I thought Napoli played great. 

I know we all like to think our team should win every game 10-0 but we played poorly. Napoli were good and we got beat. Nitpicking this sub or that sub when he had to make a change 15 minutes into the match is bellyaching. 

Just now, Jograves said:

At some point you have to give the other team credit too. I thought Napoli played great. 

I know we all like to think our team should win every game 10-0 but we played poorly. Napoli were good and we got beat. Nitpicking this sub or that sub when he had to make a change 15 minutes into the match is bellyaching. 

Napoli didn’t even play that well. That’s the problem. We sat back and allowed them to kick the ball around their own half. We also didn’t do anything to get the ball to our forwards. We looked like we were parking the bus and hoping Mo and Sadio could catch them on a counter. It was awful

Just now, Jograves said:

we spent how much this summer and didn't even manage a shot on target? the final scoreline is what it is, but it's about the process that earned the scoreline. we played like we were Burnley against Man City today. We have the talent to take it to anyone, and we made no effort to for 90+ minutes. 

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Napoli didn’t even play that well. That’s the problem. We sat back and allowed them to kick the ball around their own half. We also didn’t do anything to get the ball to our forwards. We looked like we were parking the bus and hoping Mo and Sadio could catch them on a counter. It was awful

They had all the possession, all the shots and they were all over us. I don't know how you can say they didn't play well. We were bad but some of that is due to them too. 

They had all the possession, all the shots and they were all over us. I don't know how you can say they didn't play well. We were bad but some of that is due to them too. 

Because we sat back and invited pressure. Have you never seen a team park the bus before? That’s what we did.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bodowned said:

we spent how much this summer and didn't even manage a shot on target? the final scoreline is what it is, but it's about the process that earned the scoreline. we played like we were Burnley against Man City today. We have the talent to take it to anyone, and we made no effort to for 90+ minutes. 

1/2 of what we spent this summer was alisson, our best player today. 1/4 of what we spent this summer went out in the 18th minute with a back injury. The last 1/4 of that money came in and didn’t do anything because he’s not up to speed yet. 

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

Because we sat back and invited pressure. Have you never seen a team park the bus before? That’s what we did.

What? Our passing was terrible and every player on the pitch aside from Gomez couldn't get a ball to stick. We had no choice but to be on the back foot. How many passes did Milner, Salah, and TAA have just bounce off them? 

Dude, this is a silly debate to have but I don't know how you can watch that game and say Napoli didn't play well. 

Just now, Firemans4Horn said:

1/2 of what we spent this summer was alisson, our best player today. 1/4 of what we spent this summer went out in the 18th minute with a back injury. The last 1/4 of that money came in and didn’t do anything because he’s not up to speed yet. 

i just don't buy the "not up to speed" talking point anymore, tbh. I know Klopp loves to use it as an excuse to not play Fabinho and Shaqiri, but Milner/Henderson/Gini is completely redundant and haven't offered anything in weeks offensively. Even with Shaqiri's whiff on goal last week, he still showed me a lot more than any of those 3 have recently in putting himself in favorable spaces and actually making runs forward to pull the defense out of position.

I have to wonder how much that Keita early injury played into the bus parking today. I didn't see a lot of the 1st half after that since I was fucking around with the stupid B/R app. Reminds me, I need to get a refund from those stupid fucks. What a turd of a day this was. 

1 minute ago, Jograves said:

What? Our passing was terrible and every player on the pitch aside from Gomez couldn't get a ball to stick. We had no choice but to be on the back foot. How many passes did Milner, Salah, and TAA have just bounce off them? 

Dude, this is a silly debate to have but I don't know how you can watch that game and say Napoli didn't play well. 

And Klopp did what to fix those problems? He parked the bus and lost because of it. Napoli played better than Liverpool did. They certainly didn’t play their best game or anything close to it. Liverpool were not at their best and our tactics made things even worse. 

Just now, Bodowned said:

i just don't buy the "not up to speed" talking point anymore, tbh. I know Klopp loves to use it as an excuse to not play Fabinho and Shaqiri, but Milner/Henderson/Gini is completely redundant and haven't offered anything in weeks offensively. Even with Shaqiri's whiff on goal last week, he still showed me a lot more than any of those 3 have recently in putting himself in favorable spaces and actually making runs forward to pull the defense out of position.

Lest we forget, it took a Moreno injury to get us TAA. It took a Lovren injury to get us Gomez. Klopp is pretty resistant to change. Fabinho, I'm just scratching my head over. Shaqiri not getting more is maddening. The guy is a spark every time he comes in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

And Klopp did what to fix those problems? He parked the bus and lost because of it. Napoli played better than Liverpool did. They certainly didn’t play their best game or anything close to it. Liverpool were not at their best and our tactics made things even worse. 

Jurgen is supposed to wander onto the pitch and fix their touch and passing. You're right. 

That game was crying out for one of the MFers to charge at their defense more. Keita going down hurt. Would've been nice to have Chamberlain for this one. 

Jurgen is supposed to wander onto the pitch and fix their touch and passing. You're right. 

That game was crying out for one of the MFers to charge at their defense more. Keita going down hurt. Would've been nice to have Chamberlain for this one. 

Or you know... Shaqiri

• Like 1

In the 18th minute? He brings on Hendo. I don't think bringing on everyone's new hero is the answer that early in the match. Hendo, Milner and Gini played great in a MF three just last weekend. 

In the 65th or whatever it was, he brings on Fabs hoping to solidify a MF that is getting overrun. Are you counting on XS to solve that issue?

In the 88th, he brings on Daniel because he's in great form and is hoping for another late goal. 

I don't see the personnel argument. If you want to say he waited too long to bring on Daniel, I hear that, but I don't think he got the personnel wrong. Sometimes it doesn't work out. 

12 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Lest we forget, it took a Moreno injury to get us TAA. It took a Lovren injury to get us Gomez. Klopp is pretty resistant to change. Fabinho, I'm just scratching my head over. Shaqiri not getting more is maddening. The guy is a spark every time he comes in. 

Come one man. At least speak facts. Moreno is a left back, Robbo took his spot (partly due to injury and partly due to Robbo getting up to speed). TAA played 12 games as an 18 year old on 16-17 but Clynebot played damn near every game. Clyne was a significantly better option at the time. TAA was thrust into action when clyne got hurt before the start of last season and did great  

Gomez was not very good last year (shit look on this thread a week before this season started and look at how anxious everyone was about him or Matip having to start) and Lovren was really solid down the stretch (our MOTM in the CL final, played great for Croatia in the World Cup). 

Some players like salah and mane have hit the ground running but other players like Robbo, Ox and fabinho have to brought up to the level he wants. 

As far as Shaqiri he isn’t better than any of our front 3 and we play a 4-3-3. He’s a sub/Cup game player. Great depth to have on the roster. 

Okay. I misspoke with TAA instead of Andy but the point still stands. If Moreno never got hurt, Andy isn't out there. If Lovren hadn't gotten hurt, Klopp would have trudged him out there because he has a strange deference to him too even though Lovren is, was and will be a liability, even with VvD paired with him. 

Edited by mdmost

I'm going to operate under the assumption K8A will not start on Sunday. That said here's what I'd like to see Klopp do acknowledging there is 0% chance of it happening.

Allison

Clyne Joe VvD Robbo

Fabs Gini

Shaq Bob Mane

Dan

Here's what I expect Klopp to trot out.

Allison

Clyne Joe VvD Robbo

Fabs

Hendo Gini

Mo Bob Mane