Liverpool 2018-19 ALLEZ ALLEZ ALLEZ!!!

Firemans4Horn

Just an observation, not unique.  At the beginning of the season we talked a TON about Alisson.  His saves, his distribution,  and his ball skills.  There have been a couple of odd moments in the last few weeks/~month but he's been pretty quiet which isn't a bad thing for a keeper.  Can't think of many issues or goals he should have saved (outside the Fulham weird deal with VVD) at all.  Overall the defense is just that much better I guess.

I don't think pied would disagree with your last line. I took his point more that Alisson is so stable that he's almost never a worry now outside of a few weird plays or miscues. It really says a lot about VvD that he can pair with whomever is there and likely come away with a clean sheet at Anfield. It's everything we needed last year from the keeper and CB position. 

Ali's had a couple of mistakes. At Leicester early in the season was the worst one. At Spurs was a bad one early in the year too. Neither cost us points and I can't think of any cheap goals he's allowed that have cost us points. I suppose you could argue he should've saved Aguero's goal against City, but that's picking nits. I can think of several times that he's either contributed directly to a goal or saved a goal which ultimately saved or won us points.  There's no comparison between him and Migs.

Having said that, there's an article in the Echo about how professional Migs has been this entire season. He's started 2 cup matches for us and that's it. For a 31 year old keeper, that's suboptimal, but he's put on a good face, not made any waves and supported the team through this entire season. He should be applauded for that.

Yea Ali has had a couple mistakes but most have been issues of overconfidence. What I think makes him different than Migz or Waffles (other than being just better at every aspect of the position) is that his head never drops. Waffles and Migz are both confidence guys. When one thing went bad it all went bad and stayed bad. Ali is the same guy every play, every week. He’s always going to have confidence in his game and even just that I think makes a huge difference. Especially when VvD seems very similar. The miscommunication between them yesterday is a good example. No yelling at each other or blaming each other. Just ho hum back to work. It’s quite refreshing to be honest.

7 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Yea Ali has had a couple mistakes but most have been issues of overconfidence. What I think makes him different than Migz or Waffles (other than being just better at every aspect of the position) is that his head never drops. Waffles and Migz are both confidence guys. When one thing went bad it all went bad and stayed bad. Ali is the same guy every play, every week. He’s always going to have confidence in his game and even just that I think makes a huge difference. Especially when VvD seems very similar. The miscommunication between them yesterday is a good example. No yelling at each other or blaming each other. Just ho hum back to work. It’s quite refreshing to be honest.

I'm confused. Waffles is Mignolet (he's our keeper, our Belgian keeper), so who's Migz? 

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

It's going to be oddly cool on Sunday. Hopefully the rain is done by Saturday. Excited to see some soccer in the Cotton Bowl. A sports regret was never watching a World Cup match there. I was in Austin at the time. First summer at UT. 

I graduated that summer. Saw South Korea - West Germany and the Brazil - Netherlands QF. Great games. 

Also was an original Dallas Burn season ticket holder. Some crap soccer but soooo good at the same time. 

Edited by pied

9 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Very dumb of me lol. Meant Karius. Not sure why I typed waffles and Migz lol.

Ha. I wasn't trying to be a dick, I honestly forgot Karius existed. And then I couldn't for the life of me think of who our 3rd-string keeper was and got very confused.