Bogie or the Duke...who ya got?

GhostOfTomJoad

5 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I totally love it when an A or B post brings out a "but what about C?" response.

Start your own fucking thread.

Well, the original premise of comparing John Wayne and Humphrey Bogart was pretty fucking stupid in the first place. That’s a very apples and oranges subject.

I’ve considered starting a thread about Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, and Gregory Peck. I think those three are more in the same class. You think no one would bring up other actors in that thread? Please. Get off my back. 

On 3/17/2022 at 6:55 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I discussed it in another thread on movies, but I pondered if Casablanca was too sacrosanct in film to ever be given a prequel of sorts because if anyone had a backstory, it was Rick Blaine. Merely hinted at by Victor Lazlo among other characters, it is one of the reasons the movie endures. Just enough of a glimpse of a character for us to think we know him, and yet vague (but not due to lazy writing) enough to show us (as the plot develops) that maybe we don't.

There are those who look at To Have and Have Not as close to a Casablanca prequel.    Treasure of Sierra Madre should be mentioned too.

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Spencer Tracy was better than Bogie too. 

Each actor seems to carve out their own type of character.   Bogart and Tracy were equally good, but I can't see Bogey playing the priest in the orphanage, nor can I see Tracy pulling off Sam Spade.   

As far as Wayne trying to enlist Ford's help in getting into the war, it seems pretty unlikely Ford would have denied him, considering Ford's own commitment to the effort. 

With the onset of World War II, Ford went into service for his country the best way he knew how: with a camera. Ford served as head of the photographic unit for the Office of Strategic Services (a precursor to the CIA) and shot documentaries for the Navy Department. Ford was also commissioned as a commander in the U.S. Navy Reserve.

The Battle of Midway, Ford's 1942 documentary, won the Academy Award for Best Documentary. Ford's propaganda film December 7th: The Movie also won an Oscar for Best Documentary Short Subject. 

Ford was actually wounded while filming the Battle of Midway and he put himself in serious danger again while filming the American landings at Omaha Beach on D-Day, though Ford's harrowing, up-close footage of that vicious battle was never shown to the public. In 2000, TIME reported that World War II aviator Melvyn R. Paisley unearthed a portion of the missing film. Along with more raw footage from the war, Ford's film is featured in the documentary Shooting War, narrated by Tom Hanks.

Ford was ultimately promoted to Rear Admiral in the U.S. Navy Reserve. The final war film directed by John Ford, They Were Expendable, was a Philippines- set drama about the Japanese invasion of the islands in 1940.

After the war, Ford got back into civilian film life. Though the film director was mostly known for westerns that teamed him with John Wayne such as The Searchers, Rio Grande, Fort Apache, Cheyenne Autumn, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (starring both John Wayne and James Stewart) and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, Ford also teamed up with other stars of the era to make both westerns, such as My Darling Clementine with Henry Fonda, and non-western hits like Mister Roberts and the Ireland-set motion picture The Quiet Man, which saw Ford celebrate some of his Irish roots. He also made waves with his political film The Last Hurrah, starring James Cagney. The Quiet Man would earn him his last Best Director Academy Award, along with How Green Was My Valley and The Informer.

Presidential Medal of Freedom

From the 1960s on, Ford's health began to decline. Years of heavy drinking and smoking, along with the wounds he suffered at Midway, made working difficult. In 1970, he broke his hip and was confined to a wheelchair. Sensing that the legendary director may not have long, Hollywood lined up to honor him. The Screen Director's Guild staged a tribute to Ford in 1972 and the American Film Institute gave him a lifetime achievement award in 1973. The ceremony was telecast nationwide and culminated in then-President Richard Nixon presenting Ford with the Presidential Medal of Freedom and promoting Ford to full admiral. 

https://www.wideopencountry.com/john-ford-legendary-western-movie-director-led-a-film-crew-during-world-war-ii/

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

As far as Wayne trying to enlist Ford's help in getting into the war, it seems pretty unlikely Ford would have denied him, considering Ford's own commitment to the effort. 

You've got that part backwards. Wayne never asked for Ford's help. Ford belittled Wayne constantly about it until Robert Montgomery (who took over for Ford as uncredited Director of They Were Expendable and had served as a Lt. Commander in WWII) asked Ford to back off. Wayne was a chickenhawk.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RPM said:

You've got that part backwards. Wayne never asked for Ford's help. Ford belittled Wayne constantly about it until Robert Montgomery (who took over for Ford as uncredited Director of They Were Expendable and had served as a Lt. Commander in WWII) asked Ford to back off. Wayne was a chickenhawk.

I was referring to the Wiki citation that rage used:

America's entry into World War II resulted in a deluge of support for the war effort from all sectors of society, and Hollywood was no exception. Wayne was exempted from service due to his age (34 at the time of Pearl Harbor) and family status (classified as 3-A – family deferment). Wayne repeatedly wrote to John Ford saying he wanted to enlist, on one occasion inquiring whether he could get into Ford's military unit.[39] Wayne did not attempt to prevent his reclassification as 1-A (draft eligible), but Republic Studios was emphatically resistant to losing him, since he was their only A-list actor under contract. Herbert J. Yates, president of Republic, threatened Wayne with a lawsuit if he walked away from his contract,[40] and Republic Pictures intervened in the Selective Service process, requesting Wayne's further deferment.[41]

Should have added that in, I guess.