Local charities you endorse

Johnny Sack

On 3/29/2022 at 9:41 PM, mdmost said:

In Dallas:

https://www.familyplace.org/ helps victims of domestic violence and their families by giving them a safe place to stay until a permanent option can be found.

https://thestewpot.org/ helps the homeless in downtown Dallas by providing meals, a safe haven to get a meal and essentials, has a free clothes closet to help their clients find necessities. They also provide basic necessities for their clients such as a post office address so they can get mail and sign up for work, dental care, and a health clinic. 

I'll tack on the Gatehouse Grapevine to these.  It is a lower-risk "shelter" more like assisted living in DFW for women coming out of shelters or at risk of going into one. Basically trying to fill holes in the system between shelter and independence.  I got acquainted with them when I lived in DFW through other charity work and friends, even got to know some of the women.

Gatehousegrapevine.com

Their endowment is still being funded and they are solidly an F on most charity watch sites.  If the finances make you nervous to donate cash, they maintain an Amazon wishlist to donate items directly.

On 3/30/2022 at 9:31 AM, Murfdogg21 said:

Dallas Scottish Rite Childrens Hospital

Can't say enough good things about them. I designated them as my charity for my Amazon Smile account. They get a small percentage of everything I buy and it adds up at the end of the year.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 9:25 AM, huge said:

Houston Food Bank

https://www.houstonfoodbank.org/

Donate $25 a month I think, it's an auto draft like TreeFiddy

Also volunteer there with my company.  Recommend

I used to be on their auto-draft plan but got annoyed at them because they also mailed me several donation requests every month. Asking for money didn't bother me, but I found it to be a waste of their money to send mailers to be who are already donating. Why give you $25 so you can spend $1 of that mailing me crap?

But I will give them credit in that one of their phone calls to me, I mentioned that I didn't want to receive any more mail. They were able to take me off the mailing list.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

But I will give them credit in that one of their phone calls to me, I mentioned that I didn't want to receive any more mail. They were able to take me off the mailing list.

One of my pet peeves is to see my special "one time donation" in honor of somebody that has passed be squandered in multiple additional requests for donations year after year after year.  To paraphrase Ronald Reagan -- being on a charity's mailing list is pretty close to having eternal life.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I used to be on their auto-draft plan but got annoyed at them because they also mailed me several donation requests every month. Asking for money didn't bother me, but I found it to be a waste of their money to send mailers to be who are already donating. Why give you $25 so you can spend $1 of that mailing me crap?

They called me once on a funds push or something.  I told the caller to look me up and she did and confirmed and now I get nothing asking for more money.  They do however ask me to come volunteer more often, which is fine honestly.