Liverpool FC 2022-2023: And Now Jurgen Believe Us

maninblack

FSG: F

Klopp: F

Squad: F

Just now, mdmost said:

Not ready to push the panic button due to injuries and Darwin being out but this thing is in a bad way and Klopp needs to figure it out. Buy someone to replace Milner. You cannot sustain this club with him as a starter. 

Hammer the panic button

• Haha 1

Klopp’s loyalty to specific players is proving his undoing. Henderson had already lost a step after the EPL title and has been in gradual decline ever since. Milner is way past it; Bobby is way past it; Robertson looks nothing like his prime self and Trent and VVD look like shadows of themselves. Maybe it’s simply a difference in ownership, but Pep seems MUCH more ruthless in determining fits for his squad. If Klopp was in charge of City, he might still be running Fernandinho and David Silva in MF. Pep is constantly rotating and tinkering with his personnel in search of perfection. 

Edited by Bodowned

7 minutes ago, Bodowned said:

Klopp’s loyalty to specific players is proving his undoing. Henderson had already lost a step after the EPL title and has been in gradual decline ever since. Milner is way past it; Bobby is way past it; Robertson looks nothing like his prime self and Trent and VVD look like shadows of themselves. Maybe it’s simply a difference in ownership, but Pep seems MUCH more ruthless in determining fits for his squad. If Klopp was in charge of City, he might still be running Fernandinho and David Silva in MF. Pep is constantly rotating and tinkering with his personnel in search of perfection. 

I’m not going to worry about Robbo, TAA, or VvD. They didn’t just forget who they are. Bad form sure but they will come good. The issue entirely is that there is no play though the midfield at all. Certainly no one to dribble the ball forward. All we play are long balls and then get it wide and hope. We need a creative and an 8 in the midfield. Thiago when healthy handles the 8 and provides creative passing. We still haven’t replaced Coutinho as a midfield player. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bodowned said:

If anyone ever says we're the best run club in the world you can point them to the summer of 2020 and 2022. Absolute negligence from FSG/Klopp. 

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, maninblack said:

If anyone ever says we're the best run club in the world you can point them to the summer of 2020 and 2022. Absolute negligence from FSG/Klopp. 

FSG basically ran the Red Sox into the ground. Looks like they're doing the same to Liverpool.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

FSG basically ran the Red Sox into the ground. Looks like they're doing the same to Liverpool.

I don’t think that’s fair on either account. They certainly have times when they clearly go into money saving mode. They also won multiple World Series and a bunch of trophies. 

They needed to spend to keep us competitive with the big boys this year. They didn’t and that sucks but the idea that they are running either franchise into the ground doesn’t hold water

5 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think that’s fair on either account. They certainly have times when they clearly go into money saving mode. They also won multiple World Series and a bunch of trophies. 

They needed to spend to keep us competitive with the big boys this year. They didn’t and that sucks but the idea that they are running either franchise into the ground doesn’t hold water

I'm venting, of course. Still, the Red Sox are trending in a bad, bad direction. They won the WS in 2018, face-planted the following year and responded by trading away a generational talent in Mookie Betts. Boston is about to miss the playoffs for the third time in the last four seasons. But this ain't good, buddy.

In September 2015, Liverpool lost 3-1 at Old Trafford, starting in midfield a 29 year old James Milner and a 28 year old Lucas Leiva. 
7 years later, the same James Milner has started in a 2-1 loss at Old Trafford, while Lucas Leiva plays out the last year of his career at Gremio

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm venting, of course. Still, the Red Sox are trending in a bad, bad direction. They won the WS in 2018, face-planted the following year and responded by trading away a generational talent in Mookie Betts. Boston is about to miss the playoffs for the third time in the last four seasons. But this ain't good, buddy.

You’re not wrong. By all account it seems that Bellingham is nailed on for next summer. FSG has done well with big signings for the most part but have been pretty shit filling out the squad. The bigger issue though is they set a time table and don’t ever seem to stray from it, even when it’s obvious that the time table isn’t right.

Edited by hobbes2702

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You’re not wrong. By all account items seems that Bellingham is nailed on for next summer. FSG has done well with big signings for the most part but have been pretty shit filling out the squad. The bigger issue though is they set a time table and don’t ever seem to stray from it, even when it’s obvious that the time table isn’t right.

Exactly. Y'all follow this shit much closer than I do so I'm a little out of my element. I just know that City is a fucking juggernaut and showing zero signs of letting up.

20 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Yeah, I’ll believe that when I see it. 

It wouldn’t surprise me. They’ve been willing to spend for the big time players. I wish we would be more ambitious to build a squad. It’s like Darwin this summer. We needed new blood up front and we went after a big time target. But that’s all we did. We didn’t get a midfielder capable of starting regularly, we didn’t get a real backup right back, we didn’t move for a backup forward even though we lost all the guys that were that. 

Obviously we don’t have City money and I get that. We also obviously like maintaining a home grown presence in the first team. But fuck we only needed 2-3 players this summer that could impact without being world class and we would have stayed in the hunt. It makes me think that FSG don’t really care to go for it every year and seem to only do it when the stars align.

Im all over the place of appreciating some of what FSG have done and hating what they seem to refuse to do. Just sucks to start the season this way, even if I think we get in the mix without injuries. But injuries happen to us, especially after the games played last year. 

Edited by hobbes2702

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It makes me think that FSG don’t really care to go for it every year and seem to only do it when the stars align.

Klopp and Lijnders are at least 50% responsible. They love the siege mentality and “these are our guys”. Works great without injuries, but when you have an aging roster and a bunch of injury prone guys predictably get injured, you can have a spring 2021 and fall 2022 disaster unfold. It’s a blind spot in Klopp’s roster construction/management style. 

When Gini is replaced with nobody and we’re starting Tyler Morton, Naby Keita, and James Milner at Tottenham it really sucks ass to look back at the season we lost by 1 point and think about what could have been done differently. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me. They’ve been willing to spend for the big time players. 

My biggest frustration is that it was obvious we needed to strengthen the midfield with one, if not two, guys this summer and it appears it was Tchouameni/Bellingham or bust.

Like WTF guys lets work off a list. Just because we didn't get #1 doesn't mean you shoot yourself in the dick.

11 minutes ago, maninblack said:

My biggest frustration is that it was obvious we needed to strengthen the midfield with one, if not two, guys this summer and it appears it was Tchouameni/Bellingham or bust.

Like WTF guys lets work off a list. Just because we didn't get #1 doesn't mean you shoot yourself in the dick.

I’m not huge on Naby or Ox but we clearly needed another player or two of that caliber at least. Add in that neither of those dudes is ever healthy and it’s like what the fuck are we doing.

• Hook 'Em 1