Colorado Baker Wins

TahoeHorn

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Is that a legal argument? Don't we usually look for principled reasoning when dealing with constitutional issues? I'm not sure how to apply the "most of us don't know about it" test or even what that test is testing. For instance, the issue of mixed-blood used to be pretty big. If a store-owner refuses to serve a guy who looks white, but the owner knows is 25% black, is the discrimination somehow more constitutionally tolerable in your eyes? 

Whether gays should be a protected class for public accommodation is purely a political issue.  

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

That's easy to say when you aren't the one who believes his civil rights are being violated. It's like saying black people who were refused service for most of this nation's history should have just gone elsewhere. 

Not the same thing.  The gay people aren't being refused service.  They are welcome to purchase anything on display or being sold to anyone else in the store.  When black people were refused service in this nation's history they weren't even allowed to enter the business.  The gay people want a specific special order the baker is not willing to make.  He would not bake the same cake if a heterosexual came in and asked for it either,  No one is being discriminated against.  The owner is just drawing the lines as to what he is willing to make as a special order and what he is not willing to make as a special order. 

Should a Jewish baker be forced to make a cake with a swastika on it because a customer wants it?  Should an African-American baker be forced to make a cake with a burning cross on it because someone wants it?  You may think those are ridiculous comparisons to this but you aren't the person that owns the bakery.  If he feels making this cake contradicts his religious beliefs then it doesn't matter if anyone else thinks it contradicts his religious beliefs or not.  It's not your religious beliefs that are being compromised, it's his.  Should a Jewish restaurant be forced to serve a meal that isn't kosher because someone requests it?  Should a restaurant owned by a Hindu be forced to serve hamburgers because a customer requests them? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's a pretty weak argument.  "Former pejorative statement was lame, therefore it is always lame in the future."

Trump is an overt racist.  You vote for him, you own his views.  Sorry to all the racists on this board.  (Not really.)

I couldn’t vote for someone who used the term super predator or uses a fake black accent to a black audience. That’s some racist shit.  

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Whether gays should be a protected class for public accommodation is purely a political issue.  

But we are talking about a state that did that. And about the interaction between that and the freedom of religious expression, more particularly whether the latter can serve to annihilate the former. 

45 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And electing a black president is what got us where we are today -- there are tens of millions of people who are really fucking pissed off about that fact.  Who voted for a president who blew every racist dog whistle (including blowing it specifically against that black president) known to man.

Yeah, that wasn't the reason, but keep using that strawman.  We got where we are today because the democrats went all in on HRC.  We literally had the worst two candidates for major parties in the history of elections.  

5 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

I'm having trouble imagining a gay wedding in Lufkin with a fancy wedding cake.  If the entire town blackballs the baker who comes to the wedding?  Does everybody drive in from Montrose?

I could see the small town lack of options argument in the days before the internet.  Now it should just be a matter of Googling your options.  Surely it would just be a matter of shipping the cake along with a set of instructions to put it together if it's going to be that complicated.

7 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Yeah, that wasn't the reason, but keep using that strawman.  We got where we are today because the democrats went all in on HRC.  We literally had the worst two candidates for major parties in the history of elections.  

Just to be clear, one candidate was the worst because he said and did a bunch of racists, sexists, and generally terrible things. The other was horrible because "email server" and "Benghazi" and maybe even "child-molesting pizza parlor".  Some might say that many of the folks who voted for the first candidate used the mostly made up-stuff about the second candidate as mere pretext for their actual reasons for voting, mainly that they actually agreed with all the terrible things the first candidate said and did. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Technically, we got where we are today because approximately 12% of Bernie supporters voted for Trump in MI, WI and PA.

• Like 2

Damn; Jimmy and Brisket try to stay on topic. This case is from 2012 well before Trump even announced he was running.  It has nothing to do with Trump (one justice didn’t swing the outcome) and there are plenty of threads to complain in.  

Back on topic; what’s the end game here?  It doesnt sound like anything was really decided except that the state did a shitty job.  Is there a full review coming or are we waiting on another case?  Isn’t there a similar case from Washington State?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I could see the small town lack of options argument in the days before the internet.  Now it should just be a matter of Googling your options.  Surely it would just be a matter of shipping the cake along with a set of instructions to put it together if it's going to be that complicated.

LOL have you ever gotten married?  Good luck with that plan.  Brides aren't fucking mail-ordering their cake.

Just now, SDG said:

Damn; Jimmy and Brisket try to stay on topic. This case is from 2012 well before Trump even announced he was running.  It has nothing to do with Trump (one justice didn’t swing the outcome) and there are plenty of threads to complain in.  

Back on topic; what’s the end game here?  It doesnt sound like anything was really decided except that the state did a shitty job.  Is there a full review coming or are we waiting on another case?  Isn’t there a similar case from Washington State?

This is the point, and no one has provided insight.  I'm hoping one of our bright Constitutional lawyers will read the 59 pages (or whatever) and tell us what the Justices think about the broader issues.  I would think that if you read all the opinions you could venture a good guess.

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

More like 125 mil adults so that 30,000,00 turns into more like 12.5 mil. racists if it's that high. Just what do you think is a world wide number or % of what would be considered racist people ?  It's more than 10% I'll bet.  

Yes, we should aspire to a goal of "hey, we're not as bad as the Hutus against the Tutsis."  What an awesome benchmark.

It's okay to be racist again.  Arguing against that just makes you look silly.  The entire world is watching us with their mouths agape.  It's as if the most respected member of your community ripped off his clothes, started smearing his own shit all over himself, hollering loudly "what are you looking at?!?  I don't have the problem, YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM!!!"

Remember the words of our president.  Good people.  On both sides.

6.0.jpg

It was the day after the 2016 presidential election. Melissa Johnson was walking out of a Trader Joe’s in the heart of San Diego when a shiny BMW pulled up alongside her. The driver was a man in his late 30s. Dark hair. Green eyes. Her first thought: He’s kind of hot.

The car slowed down. Then the man shouted at her through the open window.

“Fuck you, nigger, go back to Africa. The slave ship is loading up,” he said. Then he added an exclamation point: “Trump!”

Two days after the presidential election, a gay man in Michigan heard a taunt from a group of men: “Trump is going to get rid of people like you.” A week later, a Jewish woman in Austin, Texas, said she heard exactly the same threat from a middle-aged white man as she lined up to buy groceries. Two months later, a Latino man in California said he was told by a white ex-girlfriend that Trump was going “get rid of the Hispanics.” By March, a black woman in Houston reported that she was told by a white man that Trump was going to “get rid of all you niggers.”

An Asian American woman in Hollywood, California, had her hair pulled by an older white woman and was told that she had to “go back to China” now that Trump is president. In the Washington, D.C., area, the Trump-tainted threats got so frequent and so bad that Mohammad Qureshi, a Muslim American man who works at the Dulles Airport Marriott, changed his nametag to John.

Najwa Sebbahi, for example, witnessed a middle-aged white woman’s Islamophobic rant against several customers in a store in the New York borough of Brooklyn three weeks before the 2016 election.

“Trump is going to get rid of all of you terrorists,” the woman said. The attack culminated in the woman pushing a Pakistani American girl and the police being called. 

Kelly Ha was walking to the bus stop one day in January 2017 near her home in Washington, D.C., when a middle-aged white woman suddenly screamed at her. Ha had stopped briefly in the middle of the sidewalk to search for something in her handbag, and this delay had sent her attacker into paroxysms of rage.

“Go the fuck back to China or wherever you came from,” the woman said.

“Trump should have started with people like you,” Ha remembered the woman saying. “You’re the real threat to this country.”

And we could go on.  And on.  And on.

We are presently governed of, by, and for the most reprehensible of souls.  It's who we are.  Laid bare for the world to see.  Sure, plenty of folks say "that's not who we are."  But that's just excuses and weak deflection.  We are EXACTLY who we appear to be.

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

LOL have you ever gotten married?  Good luck with that plan.  Brides aren't fucking mail-ordering their cake.

But what about the set of instructions to put it together?  Will they go for that?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

In fairness, it doesn't take much to be more optimistic about our country than I am.

And electing a black president is what got us where we are today -- there are tens of millions of people who are really fucking pissed off about that fact.  Who voted for a president who blew every racist dog whistle (including blowing it specifically against that black president) known to man.

Sure there are always going to be racists and bigots in society.  We used to have the decency not to fucking elect them to the highest offices in the land.  But now, fuck yeah, it's all cool.

They used to have the decency to hide under the slime-covered rocks, where they belong.

Now, they rant at people openly, with no fucking shame.  And why should they have shame?  Being politically correct is bullshit!  Trump gave us the freedom to tell it like it is!

Good people on both sides!

For fuck's sake.  That's what we stand for as a country now.  Get fucking used to it.  America's gonna be Great Again, they're gonna see to it.

Then explain all those counties in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and the like that voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008 and 2012 and voted overwhelmingly for Trump in 2016.  Did the KKK just improve their marketing between 2012 and 2016?

5 minutes ago, SDG said:

The cruelty cultivated by the GOP that culminated in Trump pre-dates his election.  There wouldn't have been a Trump had not those mouthy queers forgotten their place, and had not that uppity negro occupied OUR house (you know, OUR house.....not THEIR house).

I've already commented on the legalities of the issue.  I think it's a silly fight, and I think the test when it is (eventually) articulated will turn on whether the action of the seller is truly one of individual expression or rather is one of general commerce (e.g., selling t-shirts with customizable messages, versus selling plain Hanes t-shirts -- I can refuse to print a t-shirt that says "Fuck Jesus!" or "Yay Nazis!", but I can't refuse to sell plain t-shirts to anyone).

The bigger issue is that as a nation, we're mostly focused on the best way to be fucking dicks to each other.  We deserve everything we get.  That Yellowstone Supervolcano is looking more and more appropriate.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, we should aspire to a goal of "hey, we're not as bad as the Hutus against the Tutsis."  What an awesome benchmark.

It's okay to be racist again.  Arguing against that just makes you look silly.  The entire world is watching us with their mouths agape.  It's as if the most respected member of your community ripped off his clothes, started smearing his own shit all over himself, hollering loudly "what are you looking at?!?  I don't have the problem, YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM!!!"

Remember the words of our president.  Good people.  On both sides.

6.0.jpg

And we could go on.  And on.  And on.

We are presently governed of, by, and for the most reprehensible of souls.  It's who we are.  Laid bare for the world to see.  Sure, plenty of folks say "that's not who we are."  But that's just excuses and weak deflection.  We are EXACTLY who we appear to be.

No we are who we are broadcast on the news by whoever you get your news from.....  The vast majority of folks in America just want to go about their lives, but your on the ledge mentality has us as the 4th Reich, PRO TIP:  We ain't. 

Trump will be out of office in less than 3 years, and we'll be the same nation we were before he was elected.  

Nobody gave a shit about Nazis marching in Cville except self anointed ANTIFA.  Nazis are probably at the same levels of membership as they've been for decades.

• Like 1

Just now, EMAWesome said:

Then explain all those counties in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and the like that voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008 and 2012 and voted overwhelmingly for Trump in 2016.  Did the KKK just improve their marketing between 2012 and 2016?

Blaming shit on all the dirty beaners and mooslems out to kill us all sure did.  So, maybe that division of the KKK.  I'm not really sure how they're subdivided -- their marketing campaigns are hard to sort out.  The guys on the 4th floor never talk to the guys on the 5th floor, and nobody seems to take Ed's concept drawings seriously.

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

Apparently they were closeted sleeper racists waiting for their leader to come forward.

It's Telefon all over again.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Blaming shit on all the dirty beaners and mooslems out to kill us all sure did.  So, maybe that division of the KKK.  I'm not really sure how they're subdivided -- their marketing campaigns are hard to sort out.  The guys on the 4th floor never talk to the guys on the 5th floor, and nobody seems to take Ed's concept drawings seriously.

Lame post is lame post

I wish this was the place to discuss the interesting parts of the decision, particularly how Kennedy was trying to balance how objections to gay marriage are protected views, how Thomas wanted to decide on whether the baker's objection to making the cake and whether it is a piece of expression, and Ginsburg dissent that mounted to that the gay couple shouldn't lose this case, but instead it goes back to the same old same old. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No we are who we are broadcast on the news by whoever you get your news from.....  The vast majority of folks in America just want to go about their lives, but your on the ledge mentality has us as the 4th Reich, PRO TIP:  We ain't. 

Trump will be out of office in less than 3 years, and we'll be the same nation we were before he was elected.  

Nobody gave a shit about Nazis marching in Cville except self anointed ANTIFA.  Nazis are probably at the same levels of membership as they've been for decades.

Racist shitbags like my Father-in-Law used to act decently and politely.

Now, they don't have to anymore.  Because America, and freedom, and MAGA, and telling it like it is.  Finally, you can say "N^*&%er" again.  God Bless America!

If you don't think that shit is rampant, I've got a sweet bridge for sale you need to check out.

Nevermind our fucking ambassador to Germany supporting shitbags like AFD in Germany.  Our our admin being run by guys like Steven Miller.  It's so damned easy for white guys to say "remain calm, nothing to see here."  While the rest of the fucking world looks at us and says "you fuckers have lost your goddamned marbles."

Edited by Brisketexan

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Now, they don't have to anymore.  Because America, and freedom, and MAGA, and telling it like it is.  Finally, you can say "N^*&%er" again.  God Bless America!

If you don't think that shit is rampant, I've got a sweet bridge for sale you need to check out.

You need a drink.  

• Like 1

You should move from whatever hell hole of racism you live in.  Of course there are racists, always have been always will be.  They ebb and flow like Anti semitism does.  As long as there are different races there will be racism.  And if you think the democrat party doesn't have statistically significant number of racists in its rank and file there's an old  bridge in Arizona  I'll sell you.

32 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Not the same thing.  The gay people aren't being refused service.  They are welcome to purchase anything on display or being sold to anyone else in the store.  When black people were refused service in this nation's history they weren't even allowed to enter the business.  The gay people want a specific special order the baker is not willing to make.  He would not bake the same cake if a heterosexual came in and asked for it either,  No one is being discriminated against.  The owner is just drawing the lines as to what he is willing to make as a special order and what he is not willing to make as a special order. 

Should a Jewish baker be forced to make a cake with a swastika on it because a customer wants it?  Should an African-American baker be forced to make a cake with a burning cross on it because someone wants it?  You may think those are ridiculous comparisons to this but you aren't the person that owns the bakery.  If he feels making this cake contradicts his religious beliefs then it doesn't matter if anyone else thinks it contradicts his religious beliefs or not.  It's not your religious beliefs that are being compromised, it's his.  Should a Jewish restaurant be forced to serve a meal that isn't kosher because someone requests it?  Should a restaurant owned by a Hindu be forced to serve hamburgers because a customer requests them? 

+rep for common sense.  They were free to buy anything in the store, just not able to force him to create a cake from scratch and attend their wedding to tend to it.  Colorado also fucked up because they allowed a gay bar owner to refuse service to the anti-gay marriage group in his bar.  They choose sides.  Crazy there are people arguing that a black artist can not refuse to paint a KKK family picnic or a lesbian photographer turning down an anti-gay marriage photo shoot.  Common sense is completely fucking dead....and the fanatical left is coming for their pound of flesh....Col should be liable for his business losses.

Slippery slope indeed

Muslim salon technician refuses to perform wax treatment on transgender ‘woman,’ complaint filed

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/05/19/muslim-salon-technician-refuses-to-perform-wax-treatment-on-transgender-woman-complaint-filed

• Like 1

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

+rep for common sense.  They were free to buy anything in the store, just not able to force him to create a cake from scratch and attend their wedding to tend to it.  Colorado also fucked up because they allowed a gay bar owner to refuse service to the anti-gay marriage group in his bar.  They choose sides.  Crazy there are people arguing that a black artist can not refuse to paint a KKK family picnic or a lesbian photographer turning down an anti-gay marriage photo shoot.  Common sense is completely fucking dead....and the fanatical left is coming for their pound of flesh....Col should be liable for his business losses.

Slippery slope indeed

Muslim salon technician refuses to perform wax treatment on transgender ‘woman,’ complaint filed

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/05/19/muslim-salon-technician-refuses-to-perform-wax-treatment-on-transgender-woman-complaint-filed

No no no !!!  Only white men can be racist, moose out front should have told ya.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

You should move from whatever hell hole of racism you live in.  Of course there are racists, always have been always will be.  They ebb and flow like Anti semitism does.

Huh?  They don't ebb and flow.  Racism isn't some periodically virulent medical outbreak.  It exists.  It goes underground at times.  While I do think the % of racists is receding, since young people actually seem more indifferent to race than their predecessors, those old-school racists haven't come and gone with the wind.  They just go underground when it's politically expedient to do so.

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

No no no !!!  Only white men can be racist, moose out front should have told ya.

One of the interesting metric is voting patterns.  One data point: White politicians are extraordinarily uncompetitive in minority districts.  Or even more to the point White politicians perform atrociously against Black politicians in every Black precinct I have studied.  Black politicians can win in a White precinct.  Hell we elected Obama, Tim Scott and Mia Love just to mention three Black politicians with White opponents elected by Whites .  I can name many more.  Now name some White politicians elected by Blacks when they had a viable Black choice. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Huh?  They don't ebb and flow.  Racism isn't some periodically virulent medical outbreak.  It exists.  It goes underground at times.  While I do think the % of racists is receding, since young people actually seem more indifferent to race than their predecessors, those old-school racists haven't come and gone with the wind.  They just go underground when it's politically expedient to do so.

My comment was more directed at overt anti semitism which does ebb and flow over time based on the reported incidents of anti semitic acts (increasing in Europe now as more uneducated, poor Muslims are. moving in, what a co-inky-dink) .  

Yes, racism is decreasing, and it will continue to decrease, but there will always be pockets of it everywhere, and that won't ever change for the foreseeable future.

The 24 hour news cycle also incidents of racism on the front burner because it sells commercial time.  We were more racist and accepting of racism as a society in the pre 80's than we are now, but you'd never know it to look at the news channels. 

7 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Slippery slope indeed

That’s my next question; does this guy get to go after the state for damages?  

1 minute ago, TahoeHorn said:

One of the interesting metric is voting patterns.  One data point: White politicians are extraordinarily uncompetitive in minority districts.  Or even more to the point White politicians perform atrociously against Black politicians in every Black precinct I have studied.  Black politicians can win in a White precinct.  Hell we elected Obama, Tim Scott and Mia Love just to mention three Black politicians with White opponents elected by Whites .  I can name many more.  Now name some White politicians elected by Blacks when they had a viable Black choice. 

You see, it that kind of racism is the good kind. 

3 minutes ago, TahoeHorn said:

SEE: Marion Barry

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Or maybe Hillary listened to a dipshit 30 something instead of the greatest politician on the planet and hung out in Brooklyn instead of hitting up Wayne County, Philly and Milwaukee in the home stretch.

Nah, everyone turned racist

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Or maybe Hillary listened to a dipshit 30 something instead of the greatest politician on the planet and hung out in Brooklyn instead of hitting up Wayne County, Philly and Milwaukee in the home stretch.

Yep. Left and media went full race war as soon as their hand picked flunkie lost. Biggest racists of all. 

Hilarious how NBC had Trump with a top rated show. Did he just hide all that previous racism?  They didn’t seem to mind until he won the election. They have lost all credibility and are actively trying to tear the country apart and force their views down everyone’s throat. Comply or be called a racist. 

See: BrisketTexan. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Well...... yeah. If you lose it's because of racism, especially if you lose as a democrat. It must be racism.  

And yeah Bill told anyone who'd listen she needed to get out and press flesh. This is a fact the left cannot accept.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Yep. Left and media went full race war as soon as their hand picked flunkie lost. Biggest racists of all. 

Hilarious how NBC had Trump with a top rated show. Did he just hide all that previous racism?  They didn’t seem to mind until he won the election. They have lost all credibility and are actively trying to tear the country apart and force their views down everyone’s throat. Comply or be called a racist. 

See: BrisketTexan. 

Or, maybe -- and walk down this road just a little bit with me -- the audiences thought Trump and his birtherism bullshit was just fine BECAUSE a good number of 'em knew something was wrong with that colored fella taking over OUR White House.  

What the hell.  Y'all fellas win  Racism isn't a problem, we don't have a White House that enables it, and minorities have nothing to worry about in this country.  Keep whistling.

Or, maybe -- and walk down this road just a little bit with me -- the audiences thought Trump and his birtherism bullshit was just fine BECAUSE a good number of 'em knew something was wrong with that colored fella taking over OUR White House.  

What the hell.  Y'all fellas win  Racism isn't a problem, we don't have a White House that enables it, and minorities have nothing to worry about in this country.  Keep whistling.

People are dying because of the tax cut.  Let’s worry about the explosion of racism in 2018 once we fix all the deaths from tax cuts.  PLEASE!!!!!

Even though racism and Nazis are everywhere now!

Edited by Johnny Sack

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You lawyers do love your false dilemmas

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

People are dying because of the tax cut.  Let’s worry about the explosion of racism in 2018 once we fix all the deaths from tax cuts.  PLEASE!!!!!

They're not a problem to your white ass.

They are to folks who don't share your position.  You have the freedom to be fucking cavalier about them.  Others don't.  It's not that you can't see that, it's that you refuse to.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Please stop with these moronic what if's.  Mr. Obama carried lots of states that later went to Trump. If they were racist he would have never won the WH.  Please please stop with your woes me we're a doomed racist country. It isn't happening, and no amount if handwringing by you is gonna make it so.  

That whistling your're hearing ??  It's thru your theory.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I for one am dying cause I'm able to afford more and better hootch....  

4 minutes ago, SDG said:

Start a fucking thread about trump and racism.  This thread isn’t about either of those things... 

It's about the normalization, celebration, and fighting on behalf of the right to be flaming dickbags to each other.  It's the most important right in this country -- the right to be an utter piece of shit.

By that measure, we're a roaring fucking success.

They're not a problem to your white ass.

They are to folks who don't share your position.  You have the freedom to be fucking cavalier about them.  Others don't.  It's not that you can't see that, it's that you refuse to.

It isn’t a problem where I live because whites aren’t the majority. What are you so afraid of?  

Every year that passes, racism decreases.  Regardless of who is elected.  

Dems identity politics did piss off a lot of whites though. That had more to do with Trump getting elected than anything. Keep calling the GOP racist. It’s been in the playbook for decades. Doing so lost you a bunch of white voters who voted for Obama. My wife is one of them.  

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

It isn’t a problem where I live because whites aren’t the majority. What are you so afraid of?  

Every year that passes, racism decreases.  Regardless of who is elected.  

Dems identity politics did piss off a lot of whites though. That had more to do with Trump getting elected than anything. Keep calling the GOP racist. It’s been in the playbook for decades. Doing so lost you a bunch of white voters who voted for Obama. My wife is one of them.  

Yeah, how dare people get pissed off about being called nigger and spic in public.  If they'd just keep their mouths shut and know their place, they wouldn't have raised the ire of their betters.

Oh, and as for the bolded, we THOUGHT that was correct.  But it ain't correct any longer.

Edited by Brisketexan