Say a guy was driving from Archer City to Giddings?

Royalfan5

Is there a route to do it that is more interesting than others. I’ve done it before but just got on I-35 at Ft. Worth and got off at Waco. I’d like to go visit my family at Giddings, and while we both live just off US77 several states apart, every so often I like to go Archer City because of my deep fondness for the McMurtry novels set there, and am curious what the most interesting way across is?

From Archer City take 25E to Windhorst, 281 all the way to Lampasas, 183 to Austin, 290 to Giddings. The Hill Country stretch from Stephenville to Lampasas on 281 is enjoyable. Wife and I would catch that to go down for UT games from Dallas. We'd take 67 to Glen Rose and then veer off at Hico. If you don't want to mess with driving through Austin, take 29 to Georgetown and then take 130 to 290 around Manor. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Be sure and get a CFS at Murn's in Archer City. Best one I have eaten, even better than Mary's in Strawn. Another beautiful stretch is turn west at Graford, and hit Hwy. 4. It goes to Palo Pinto, then Lone Camp, and skirts Lake Palo Pinto. Beautiful country. At I-20 head east a few miles then jump on 281 to Stephenville and Hico.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2022 at 8:16 PM, mdmost said:

From Archer City take 25E to Windhorst, 281 all the way to Lampasas, 183 to Austin, 290 to Giddings. The Hill Country stretch from Stephenville to Lampasas on 281 is enjoyable. Wife and I would catch that to go down for UT games from Dallas. We'd take 67 to Glen Rose and then veer off at Hico. If you don't want to mess with driving through Austin, take 29 to Georgetown and then take 130 to 290 around Manor. 

That section of 290 from 130 to Elgin fucking sucks. Take 130 to 79, 79 to 95 in Taylor, then 95 hits 290 in Elgin. 79 from the toll road through Hutto can get a little backed up, but you'll miss 15 stop lights on 290 going my way. Plus, you can stop for BBQ in Taylor. 

• Hook 'Em 4

On 7/24/2022 at 8:16 PM, mdmost said:

On 25, Between AC and Windthorst, take the cutoff on FM 2581 which will hit 281 about 3miles south of Windthorst.  You will then have driven on a road upon which I started driving tractors and old pick ups around age 8-9 or so.

That is, unless you just want to see all of those monuments in town by the school.

Go Blue!

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Be sure and get a CFS at Murn's in Archer City. Best one I have eaten, even better than Mary's in Strawn. Another beautiful stretch is turn west at Graford, and hit Hwy. 4. It goes to Palo Pinto, then Lone Camp, and skirts Lake Palo Pinto. Beautiful country. At I-20 head east a few miles then jump on 281 to Stephenville and Hico.

CHIEF

I'd posit taking the 16 TX Hwy down to Graham and just below the dam on PK.  Follow that sumbeech down to Golthwaite and ride 183 into Austin metro.  I love that stretch of 16 from Graham to Brad or so.  Winding roads with lots of elevation changes.  Depending on your vehicle, it can be pretty fun... or treacherous if you're hauling a trailer.

As is my custom, when I get to a town in Texas that I have never visited, of course I must view their football stadium and schools...and render judgment accordingly.

Oh BTW, you will be going by Mary's in Strawn.  That is by design.

Edited by slorch

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 2:24 PM, Pescado_Rojo said:

That section of 290 from 130 to Elgin fucking sucks. Take 130 to 79, 79 to 95 in Taylor, then 95 hits 290 in Elgin. 79 from the toll road through Hutto can get a little backed up, but you'll miss 15 stop lights on 290 going my way. Plus, you can stop for BBQ in Taylor. 

The BBQ line at Mueller’s gets backed up too.

7E5DE450-7459-4B00-B107-2DA26AAA4588.jpeg