Texas Beach Volleyball!

TrashMaster G

19 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Today’s Top 20 poll

USC 1, TCU 4, ASU 11, Wash 14 (with their stellar 5-7 record). 

UW getting the benefit of the doubt because all of their losses are to top 10 teams.  They have a win over GCU who also has a terrible overall record, but have played tough competition.  GCU will be interesting to see where they shake out since they lost their coach to ASU in the offseason.

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

No live scoring? C’mon Texas

CDC’s people have been lacking. No scoring, scores transposed, live stats links going to the wrong games. wtf is happening over there 

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Not sure why he's pushing her (Devin), especially at the 2s. 

Wickley said she's redshirting because of the short season, wonder how many other girls are also. 

11 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Not sure why he's pushing her (Devin), especially at the 2s. 

Wickley said she's redshirting because of the short season, wonder how many other girls are also. 

From another website...

"Does anyone know if Texas is actually trying to compete this season? Their schedule looked extremely weak compared to some other big schools. Are they waiting until next year?

They're not unfortunately. From the cbvb podcast with one of the Texas girls, she mentioned that she and 6 (?) other girls are redshirting to save a year of eligibility since NCAA rules is that teams need to exist for 2 years before they can qualify for NCAA championships. Next year will be their first full season. Will be a lot of indoor and otherwise nonstarters in the lineup this year."

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2024 at 9:13 PM, BadgerHorn said:

Alright, I have thoughts.  Just got back from the Long Beach tournament.

CSB - After the win vs Nebraska, I ran into Coach Metzger. ...

This reminds me of a time I was sitting watching a men's match at an AVP tournament. I was watching a very young Phil & Nick and the guy behind me starts talking to me about the match. It was a good one, and I was pretty engrossed in the battle on the court, so I chatted along but hadn't turned around to make eye contact yet. The guy started talking about how the rule changes were really catered to the bigger players and it was forcing the average-sized and smaller - but extremely athletic - players out of the game, like Lewy, E Fonoi, and lots of others. I turned around. It was Karch, just chillin' under a tree talking to me (also a BB/A guy) about the state of the game during a great match. He then said that despite having blocked quite a bit in his life, he wasn't really even big enough to be the back row guy in the 'new' (at the time) AVP, and we went on for another 15-20 minutes. Such a cool guy and a cool experience that's representative of several others I've had with people in the top levels of the sport - AJ, Sinjin, Stein, Jose Loiola, Kerri Walsh, Phil, Nick, Albert Hanneman, Dain Blanton, Scott Ayakatubby, & a bunch more. A lot of people at the lower levels are much bigger assholes than the folks higher up. The Beach Volleyball world is a small one. It's cool to be welcomed into it so graciously by some of the best ever. /csb

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, 10SNE1 said:

From another website...

"Does anyone know if Texas is actually trying to compete this season? Their schedule looked extremely weak compared to some other big schools. Are they waiting until next year?

They're not unfortunately. From the cbvb podcast with one of the Texas girls, she mentioned that she and 6 (?) other girls are redshirting to save a year of eligibility since NCAA rules is that teams need to exist for 2 years before they can qualify for NCAA championships. Next year will be their first full season. Will be a lot of indoor and otherwise nonstarters in the lineup this year."

Yeah, I'm not sure about everyone that's playing this year, but I think most of them had already red shirted.

18 minutes ago, 10SNE1 said:

Absolutely makes sense.  Why waste a year if you can't compete in the NCAAs at the end of the season.

6 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Has anyone heard any rumors about us joining a conference next year?  Would the Big 12 have us?

That's a really good question for both rowing and beach volleyball. 

12 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Pac12 would be great to challenge rowing since we can compete, but brutal for beach volleyball until we catch up.

Pretty sure the Pac 12 won't exist in any form, but not positive.  I know that Arizona, ASU and Utah are moving to the Big12.  Not sure what USC, UCLA, Stanford, UW or Oregon are going to do.

47 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Pretty sure the Pac 12 won't exist in any form, but not positive.  I know that Arizona, ASU and Utah are moving to the Big12.  Not sure what USC, UCLA, Stanford, UW or Oregon are going to do.

NGL when I posted that, I completely forgot that the Pac12 would be officially pillaged in 3 months time. USC/UCLA are going to the B1G for football but not clue if that conference offers beach volleyball 

I figured that, was just cracking wise about Big10 outdoor beach volleyball.  

csb/ Am from Chicago.  And a buddy I met at UT had his bachelor party up there years ago in late May/early June.  Weather was nice but Lake Michigan was still cold as fuck.  So we decide to do one 'physical activity' between typical bachelor party shit.  So we're a few blocks away and I suggest, let's go to Oak Street beach and play volleyball-just lose your shoes and we'll borrow a ball from a group that has extras.  Everybody chugs some beers and agrees.  Well, they're all fucked up and every other bump goes into the fucking lake (we're on the farthest east net).  So after about 10 times going into the water to fetch the ball (even with the thermal zone heating), half the guys are like "this is fucking bullshit, the water is cold, the sand is cold, let's go!"   Went to school in Florida for a couple years and I remember playing beach volleyball on campus (Stetson which has a pretty good NCAA squad) and at the beaches and the sand being so fucking hot, I could barely tolerate it.  Tough sport, I salute the ladies that can play it at a high level.

"We ate sand!" 

"Ya ate what?"

"We ate sand!"

"You ate sand?"   

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I figured that, was just cracking wise about Big10 outdoor beach volleyball.  

csb/ Am from Chicago.  And a buddy I met at UT had his bachelor party up there years ago in late May/early June.  Weather was nice but Lake Michigan was still cold as fuck.  So we decide to do one 'physical activity' between typical bachelor party shit.  So we're a few blocks away and I suggest, let's go to Oak Street beach and play volleyball-just lose your shoes and we'll borrow a ball from a group that has extras.  Everybody chugs some beers and agrees.  Well, they're all fucked up and every other bump goes into the fucking lake (we're on the farthest east net).  So after about 10 times going into the water to fetch the ball (even with the thermal zone heating), half the guys are like "this is fucking bullshit, the water is cold, the sand is cold, let's go!"   Went to school in Florida for a couple years and I remember playing beach volleyball on campus (Stetson which has a pretty good NCAA squad) and at the beaches and the sand being so fucking hot, I could barely tolerate it.  Tough sport, I salute the ladies that can play it at a high level.

"We ate sand!" 

"Ya ate what?"

"We ate sand!"

"You ate sand?"   

Yep, all the facilities have water hoses so you can wet the sand to take the edge off of the heat.  TCU's facility has sprinklers that pop up and wet all the courts.  They also make "sand socks" that you wear when it's too hot or too cold.  The true beach facilities typically don't have water hoses and those locations can get unbearably hot.  Hermosa sand gets shockingly hot even when it's only 80* outside.

Edited by JesusSweatDuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

That makes sense.  I guess the courts I played on didn't have that in the budget or were kept hot to keep people from fucking 'em up.  But yeah, I remember more than one 'foot-burn' playing in Florida with this guy who ended up playing professionally.  To your point, even if the ambient temp is only 75-90, the sunblast on the sand is what's so brutal.  

I still hear rumblings around campus to eventually put up some courts in/around the Caven intramural fields/new football training complex where the Hicks School is.  It would drive up attendance and could be used for club/intramural/training in the off-season.  Or maybe in the ever-expanding east campus athletics complexes.  Whittaker is fine for now but it's not worthy of where this program is headed.  And oh yeah, bring sprinklers.

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

That makes sense.  I guess the courts I played on didn't have that in the budget or were kept hot to keep people from fucking 'em up.  But yeah, I remember more than one 'foot-burn' playing in Florida with this guy who ended up playing professionally.  To your point, even if the ambient temp is only 75-90, the sunblast on the sand is what's so brutal.  

I still hear rumblings around campus to eventually put up some courts in/around the Caven intramural fields/new football training complex where the Hicks School is.  It would drive up attendance and could be used for club/intramural/training in the off-season.  Or maybe in the ever-expanding east campus athletics complexes.  Whittaker is fine for now but it's not worthy of where this program is headed.  And oh yeah, bring sprinklers.

I keep hearing east of 35, but around Caven would be so much better.  You'd get students involved, people walking by could/would stop to watch as well. I'd say that's what's so cool about TCU and a few other facilities.  They're right in the middle of campus, not shoved way out on the edge by a football/baseball stadium.  Cal Poly and LSU also have very nice facilities.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, east of 35 in the ever expanding part of campus out that way is the most likely.  It's a delicate conversation to have with the Caven family so I'm not envying anyone that has to take that on since there's space there and a great locale, but they donated so much to have it be just like that in honor of their late son.  But something could be worked out with the new football facility and overhaul of RecSports gym.  Parking and concessions would certainly be easier on the east side, but as you say...impromptu attendance or even just student attendance would not be nearly as robust.  And obviously something more centrally located could be used as part of intramurals/club/recsports as well...but the finances may not make sense.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Yep, all the facilities have water hoses so you can wet the sand to take the edge off of the heat.  TCU's facility has sprinklers that pop up and wet all the courts.  They also make "sand socks" that you wear when it's too hot or too cold.  The true beach facilities typically don't have water hoses and those locations can get unbearably hot.  Hermosa sand gets shockingly hot even when it's only 80* outside.

Yep if it's in the sun and out of the wind, it can get hot af. Add to that how got damn deep it is, and you got your work cut out for ya. Still never experienced hotter sand than Aussie's in August, surrounded by buildings blocking the wind and reflecting/radiating sun and heat on the courts all day. We'd have never made it through a mid-late summer tournament there without the water hoses and the stinky outdoor shower.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Still never experienced hotter sand than Aussie's in August,

Used to play in the league there and at 9pm it would still be hot enough to where you had to burrow under to avoid getting burned. It was nuts.
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Ella Swindle traveled to Corpus this weekend.

Yeah, I noticed that in their fb posts.  On the one hand, I'm excited for her to get out there as she flashed talent last year and has good height.  On the other, I'm concerned about her foot on the uneven surface.