Texas Beach Volleyball!

TrashMaster G

This is great.  Will they play at IM sand courts or is there a better spot I'm not thinking of?

No clue if they could be brought up to the quality needed to host an event but it would be pretty fucking cool if they could  host a tournament at Zilker with skyline.  I know they built up stands around courts at Krieg for AVP Open in Austin.

8 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

This is great.  Will they play at IM sand courts or is there a better spot I'm not thinking of?

No clue if they could be brought up to the quality needed to host an event but it would be pretty fucking cool if they could  host a tournament at Zilker with skyline.  I know they built up stands around courts at Krieg for AVP Open in Austin.

Zilker's fine, if you dress it up. Same with Krieg. Any of them would work if UT wants to put some (not even that much) money and TLC into them. There are also some really pristine facilities around, like Wooly's, but very little room for spectators.

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Nice. Hopefully this means men's indoor is coming soon as well. I know that Jared has said that if the UIL would make boys vb a sport in Texas, UT would start men's volleyball asap.

That would be fucking awesome.  Would it make sense though?  Looks like there are only 54 men's indoor programs, solid amount of schools I've never heard of, and the closest on a map is... Grand Canyon?

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Nice. Hopefully this means men's indoor is coming soon as well. I know that Jared has said that if the UIL would make boys vb a sport in Texas, UT would start men's volleyball asap.

3 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

That would be fucking awesome.  Would it make sense though?  Looks like there are only 54 men's indoor programs, solid amount of schools I've never heard of, and the closest on a map is... Grand Canyon?

Gosh I just can't see that ever happening. There were less than a dozen boys prep clubs in the state 15 years ago. Don't know what it's like right now. Would take a huge grassroot movement to make it a UIL sport.

There are some private schools in Texas that sponsor the sport in the Southwest Preparatory Conference.

Edited by Aleemay

Just now, Aleemay said:

Gosh I just can't see that ever happening. There were less than a dozen boys prep clubs in the state 15 years ago. Would take a huge grassroot movement to make it a UIL sport.

There are some private schools in Texas that sponsor the sport in the Southwest Preparatory Conference.

It ain’t gonna happen. There’s not even a natural recruiting base for Texas since it’s not UIL and no regional opponents.

Hard pass 

11 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

Maybe not, but it wouldn't be that hard to just play the big schools.

My kid and some of his 18U teammates at AJV got recruited by many of the smaller private midwest and northeastern vb schools, but all but one opted for much cheaper options closer to home with no college vball program. One kid from SA went to Ottawa University near KC. He already hates it and wants to go to Texas State in the spring. Some are gonna play club vball. My kid and one other from his team will be trying out for the Texas State men's club team tomorrow night. There's a ton of talent in Texaqs, and there would be a helluva lot more if the UIL would make boys indoor vb a spring sport.

9 minutes ago, 40acredropout said:

I think that map isn't quite comprehensive. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Aleemay said:

Gosh I just can't see that ever happening. There were less than a dozen boys prep clubs in the state 15 years ago. Don't know what it's like right now. Would take a huge grassroot movement to make it a UIL sport.

There's plenty of talent here in Austin, Dallas, Houston, and even SA. The coaches were scouting them at every tournament this year. The key, though, is UIL accreditation. But anyway ... didn't want to change the topic. I always go back to what Jared said. UIL boys vb  --> Texas Men's VB.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It ain’t gonna happen. There’s not even a natural recruiting base for Texas since it’s not UIL and no regional opponents.

Hard pass 

Travel logistics are obviously a challenge.

No clue on if it would ever happen or not but if it did, I don't see recruiting being an issue.   Woman's roster size is 17, assuming men's would be same. 

UT / Austin seems like a super attractive option to recruits considering half of the 54 programs are tiny ass colleges you've barely heard.  Just based off RPI, it appears talent flocks to the prestigious / brand name schools in cool places... shocker:

Spoiler
Hawaii
Long Beach St.
Penn St.
Ball St.
UCLA
Southern California
Loyola Chicago
UC Santa Barbara
Lincoln Memorial
Lewis
Ohio St.
Pepperdine
Princeton
McKendree
Grand Canyon
Purdue Fort Wayne
NJIT
North Greenville
Mount Olive
UC San Diego
King (TN)
Harvard
BYU
Saint Francis (PA)
UC Irvine
George Mason
Queens (NC)
Stanford
Lindenwood
Charleston (WV)
CSUN
Emmanuel (GA)
Limestone
Daemen
CUI
Belmont Abbey
St. Francis Brooklyn
Maryville (MO)
Quincy
Erskine
Tusculum
Sacred Heart
LIU
Lees-McRae
Central St. (OH)
Barton
Fairleigh Dickinson
D'Youville
Fort Valley St.
Alderson Broaddus
Benedict
American Int'l
Kentucky St.
Morehouse

• Hook 'Em 1

Beach volleyball is the first new sport Texas has added since 1988 (rowing) and we are already demanding they add new ones. 

I don't foresee the 2020s as the new 1990s for Texas - Texas added soccer (1993), softball (1997) and rowing (1998) as a result of the Title IX settlement in 1993.  Unless there's some new big landmark settlement that lets Texas add a bunch of new men's sports, I don't foresee men's soccer, men's volleyball or women's gynmastics happening anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Beach volleyball is the first new sport Texas has added since 1988 (rowing) and we are already demanding they add new ones. 

I don't foresee the 2020s as the new 1990s for Texas - Texas added soccer (1993), softball (1997) and rowing (1998) as a result of the Title IX settlement in 1993.  Unless there's some new big landmark settlement that lets Texas add a bunch of new men's sports, I don't foresee men's soccer, men's volleyball or women's gynmastics happening anytime soon. 

I do not know which sports exactly, but I do expect Texas to add a few more sports as they transition to the SEC.

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Dunno, but with us joining the SEC, 9 teams will have squads.  Texas should join them. 

Rowing filed the lawsuit and has huge rosters. They were automatic. Softball and soccer are both bigger in the state and also have huge rosters. Plus they could build facilities for both teams. Remember, the reason to add these teams was to help balance the numbers better with football in both athletes participating and money spent. Those were the three that made the most sense. And once they had a formula to meet their settlement figures, they didn’t go beyond that. 

Beach volleyball is being pushed into being by Nebraska using it for a competitive advantage. I don’t see Elliott being able to use Texas beach the way Cook uses Nebraska beach, because UT alumni aren’t going to be willing to be terrible in something just because it gives an edge in something else. Unless that something is football, of course. But he’ll have some leeway for a couple of years while the program gets off the ground. But if five years from now Texas is just as uncompetitive in Beach as Nebraska is today, we’re going to go in a different direction. 

Unless Angela Kelly is the coach. Then all bets are off. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2022 at 12:41 PM, Js1 said:

I didn't 'demand' it. I don't see it happening soon either, but if they just added Women's Beach, doesn't that mean they can now add a men's sport under Title XI? I'm not sure of the ins & outs of Title XI, but when they're adding a women's sport, surely they should be able to add something on the men's side, unless they're just adding the women's sport to get compliant. Pretty sure that's not the case at Texas though.

All I do know is that Jerritt has said that when/if the UIL make Boy's Indoor Volleyball a UIL sport in Texas, then there will be a men's program at UT.

I've been to 2 college men's club tournaments in the last few weeks where my 18 yo was/is playing for Texas State. Next one's in College Station. So far I've seen teams from Texas State, Texas, LSU, aggy, UTSA, Kansas, UH, Wisconsin, Sam Houston, North Carolina, Rice, Incarnate Word, Baylor, Tech, and lots more. There's D1 Men's VB talent all over the place at these tournaments, including some who played D1 already but transferred back home for various reasons, miss Texas, tired of the college sports work grind, etc. You could take the best Texas guys from these tourneys and make a damn good D1 team. Right now. Without it even being a UIL sport. If it were a UIL sport, esp in the Spring, that talent pool would skyrocket.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, wood said:

I didn't 'demand' it. I don't see it happening soon either, but if they just added Women's Beach, doesn't that mean they can now add a men's sport under Title XI? I'm not sure of the ins & outs of Title XI, but when they're adding a women's sport, surely they should be able to add something on the men's side, unless they're just adding the women's sport to get compliant. Pretty sure that's not the case at Texas though.

All I do know is that Jerritt has said that when/if the UIL make Boy's Indoor Volleyball a UIL sport in Texas, then there will be a men's program at UT.

I've been to 2 college men's club tournaments in the last few weeks where my 18 yo was/is playing for Texas State. Next one's in College Station. So far I've seen teams from Texas State, Texas, LSU, aggy, UTSA, Kansas, UH, Wisconsin, Sam Houston, North Carolina, Rice, Incarnate Word, Baylor, Tech, and lots more. There's D1 Men's VB talent all over the place at these tournaments, including some who played D1 already but transferred back home for various reasons, miss Texas, tired of the college sports work grind, etc. You could take the best Texas guys from these tourneys and make a damn good D1 team. Right now. Without it even being a UIL sport. If it were a UIL sport, esp in the Spring, that talent pool would skyrocket.

A lady from the athletic department came to a Point Texas event prior to a volleyball match and said beach volleyball was added specifically for compliance reasons because female enrollment has gone up as a percentage of the student body. 

I wasn’t there. I read it from someone who was. 

Do we have anyone here who goes to the Point Texas events? Probably should ask that in the actual volleyball thread. 

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

A lady from the athletic department came to a Point Texas event prior to a volleyball match and said beach volleyball was added specifically for compliance reasons because female enrollment has gone up as a percentage of the student body. 

I wasn’t there. I read it from someone who was. 

Do we have anyone here who goes to the Point Texas events? Probably should ask that in the actual volleyball thread. 

Welp, then we'd have to add another women's sport or subtract a men's sport to get Men's VB. Sucks.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Welp, then we'd have to add another women's sport or subtract a men's sport to get Men's VB. Sucks.

Or have a precipitous drop in women's enrollment. Or stop caring quite so much about compliance. The only way it ever gets enforced is through lawsuits from women at the school not in compliance (that is NOT a dig at women who file lawsuits - frankly it's more of a dig that there's nobody enforcing compliance). 

But yeah, neither of those are going to happen. There's a lot of scar tissue in the collective athletic department regarding the last lawsuit and settlement. That settlement and abiding by it was what the lady cited as the reason for adding beach volleyball. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 4 weeks later...

Notes on Texas Beach from JE at Point Texas

1. For beach in Spring, Eric will be HC.  David Hunt will be Assistant HC
2. JE will be Director of Operations - he will travel with the team and talk to other DOs and HCs to learn how a beach team is set up
3. The team will consist only of current indoor players - if they want to participate.  He noted that some players have never played beach and may not want to play beach
4. He then will hire a new beach HC sometime in 2023

In a odd slip, he said "I'll hire her later in the year"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

So, a quick Google says there’s 6 beach VB scholarships available for D1. I wonder if beach players will be used to bolster the indoor team.

There are specialized beach only players though. My daughter’s teammate signed to play beach VB for U of San Francisco next season.

Beach players on scholarship cannot play indoor.  Indoor players can play beach.  Many players who did their 4 years of indoors can play a 5th year of beach 

Non-scholarship can play on both 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Beach players on scholarship cannot play indoor.  Indoor players can play beach.  Many players who did their 4 years of indoors can play a 5th year of beach 

Non-scholarship can play on both 

So NIL for everyone and fuck the scholarship limits?

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming we'll hear something along the lines of a schedule this month with perhaps an indication which Texas Volleyball players will be participating this spring. Unless plans have changed, we are playing a spring schedule here in the next few months.

Under the direction of Jerritt Elliott and the current Indoor Volleyball staff, the Longhorns will pursue a limited spring schedule in 2023 before becoming a fully sanctioned intercollegiate sport for the 2024 season.

8 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I'm assuming we'll hear something along the lines of a schedule this month with perhaps an indication which Texas Volleyball players will be participating this spring. Unless plans have changed, we are playing a spring schedule here in the next few months.

Most of them, probably. We have to field a team. I know we are going to a tournament in Hawaii and will probably get our ass kicked. I think Molly will be a big beach phenomenon 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, what a coincidence.  that story I just told you on the other thread about beach volleyball, that was at Stetson University.  

Should be a fun tournament based on locale and variety of schools.  Good to see us starting off with strong competition. 

Looks like we're gonna blow through our entire facility budget with these travel expenses.  

I'm guessing we'll be playing at the sand courts at Whittaker until something closer to campus can be completed?  Presumably somewhere either in all the East Austin campus growth or by Caven intramural fields?  

• 3 weeks later...

I appreciate you all piecing our schedule together from other teams' schedules. I heard back from the Ath Dept on our schedule:

"We are still finalizing a few matches, but it should be out very soon."

Been to a bunch of AVP events and now looking forward to seeing burnt orange on the sand. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Schedule is up:

https://texassports.com/sports/wbvball/schedule

Date Time At Opponent Location TV Radio Tournament Result Links
March 10, 2023 (Friday) 1 PM    Hawaii Queens Beach     Heineken Queens Cup    
March 10, 2023 (Friday) 7:15 PM    Oregon Queens Beach     Heineken Queens Cup    
March 11, 2023 (Saturday) 1 PM    Nebraska Queens Beach     Heineken Queens Cup    
March 11, 2023 (Saturday) 4:45 PM    California Queens Beach     Heineken Queens Cup    
March 12, 2023 (Sunday) 2:15 PM    Washington Queens Beach     Heineken Queens Cup    
March 14, 2023 (Tuesday) 10:30 PM    Hawaii Manoa, HI          
March 17, 2023 (Friday) 10:30 AM    Long Beach State  Long Beach, CA          
March 17, 2023 (Friday) 12:30 PM    CSUN Long Beach, CA          
March 18, 2023 (Saturday) 10:30 AM    Utah Long Beach, CA          
March 18, 2023 (Saturday) 12:30 PM    Stetson  Long Beach, CA          
March 24, 2023 (Friday) 9:30 AM    Missouri State  Fort Worth, Texas          
March 24, 2023 (Friday) 11:30 AM    Grand Canyon  Fort Worth, Texas          
March 25, 2023 (Saturday) 9 AM    Missouri State  Fort Worth, Texas          
March 25, 2023 (Saturday) 5 PM    TCU Fort Worth, TX    

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

No home matches?

Do we have any courts on campus?  Otherwise we'd be left with one of the nearby parks ... or Aussies.  Curious what the NCAA facility requirements are for beach volleyball and if UT would be looking to build something on campus or nearby to host in the future.  Would be cool if they could develop something the UT beach team could use and also to attract AVP back to Austin.

Curious what the roster will look like.

Roster will be whoever on the indoor wants to play until we recruit fully beach players. I know Molly plays beach and so does Byrd. The 10 best who want to play will be the roster. 

This is really going to be fun to see how we start hoarding players that would otherwise go to TCU, LSU, FSU, USC or UCLA. Texas has two of the top beach clubs 

Will also be heavily dependent on who Elliot hires after the spring 

Edited by Js1

There's some sand courts at the Intramural Fields (Whittaker) up near 45th. But I don't think there's any locker rooms or trainer facilities or anything like that.  And parking for spectators could be a shitshow.  Plus this is the kinda sport you want students at making noise, nobody is gonna drive up there on a Saturday afternoon from campus.

There's not enough space after all to house multiple courts at the Caven Lacrosse Fields.  On top of Moncrief maybe?  You could probably fit four up there.  I would think the roof could support that much sand.  there's still room in all the East of IH-35 development but that's prime real estate to just use for a handful of matches each year.  Not like you can really do anything else with a sand court other than play volleyball or host concerts by Coconut Pete.  

How many contiguous courts do most big programs have?  I can think of a few other spots on campus but they'd need their own standalone infrastructure (locker rooms, trainer facilities, concessions, stands, etc.)