Texas Beach Volleyball!

TrashMaster G

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 6:05 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

This was posted on OB, then texted to me, so I have no idea who the OP is. 

* For now there are existing sand courts they'll use. Metzger said the sand itself (which is what matters) was fine. They went ahead and gave him $100K to fix it up anyway.

They should spend some practice time at Wooly's too until the new place is built. When Timmy built it he went all out to simulate the difficulty of jumping at Hermosa Beach, which from everything I've ever heard is considered one of the toughest jumping beaches in the world. He brought in enough of that type of sand to pile it 4 feet deep, and built a substantial drainage system underneath beforehand. We could do a lot worse than simply copying Tim's approach there.

Edited by wood

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 10:21 PM, wood said:

They should spend some practice time at Wooly's too until the new place is built. When Timmy built it he went all out to simulate the difficulty of jumping at Hermosa Beach, which from everything I've ever heard is considered one of the toughest jumping beaches in the world. He brought in enough of that type of sand to pile it 4 feet deep, and built a substantial drainage system underneath beforehand. We could do a lot worse than simply copying Tim's approach there.

Hermosa is incredibly deep and a tough environment because of the sea breeze.  There are two places that have similar setups in Austin, and Wooly's is the only one that's close to campus.  

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Hermosa is incredibly deep and a tough environment because of the sea breeze.  There are two places that have similar setups in Austin, and Wooly's is the only one that's close to campus.  

Yep. And yeah, Hermosa's absolutely the toughest sand I've ever played in. Unreal. Took my 19 yo there recently. He's moved from indoor to sand recently, and he couldn't believe how hard it was to move in that sand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I guess this will be too late for us.  Any chance we end up playing beach volleyball in our older conference?

We could. It will be interesting what we decide to do - our future conference mates LSU and SC play in the CCSA, as does TCU.  Alabama and Tennessee compete in the Big 12 for rowing, so we will probably stay put there.

Edited by Js1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We could. It will be interesting what we decide to do - our future conference mates LSU and SC play in the CCSA, as does TCU.  Alabama and Tennessee compete in the Big 12 for rowing, so we will probably stay put there.

My guess is TCU joins the Big 12 in beach volleyball now that it will be sponsored (because they are adding Utah, ASU, and Arizona).  

As for rowing, four of the eight teams (assuming UCF is joining the Big 12 for rowing) that compete in the Big 12 for rowing will be in the SEC next year, so I suppose they will continue to play in the Big 12.

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

My guess is TCU joins the Big 12 in beach volleyball now that it will be sponsored (because they are adding Utah, ASU, and Arizona).  

Probably.  It probably makes more sense for us to join the Big 12 for beach, but since LSU and USC play in the CCSA, maybe we just join them there once TCU joins the Big 12.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 5:25 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

TCU’s schedule is out, we play there April 5-6 with Hawaii/Hou Christian/UC-Davis. 

Looks like the Surly server ate my initial reply. I'll try again

A few other schools have their schedules out as well. I ran a search on the internets for “2024 beach volleyball schedule“, went school by school, and was able to cobble together the little bit below. I hope Coach Stein appreciates the effort we are putting in to support the team. 

It looks like we will be headed back to Long Beach State for their tournament March 15–16. That tournament includes Pepperdine, Nebraska, CSUN, and ASU. 

HCU at UT Wed 20 Mar

Gulf Shores 3-5 May to bring home some hardware. 

Looking forward to the release of our full schedule. Hopefully a few events worth traveling for.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 11/16/2023 at 5:25 PM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

TCU’s schedule is out, we play there April 5-6 with Hawaii/Hou Christian/UC-Davis. 

On 11/28/2023 at 7:31 PM, BadgerHorn said:

Looks like the Surly server ate my initial reply. I'll try again

A few other schools have their schedules out as well. I ran a search on the internets for “2024 beach volleyball schedule“, went school by school, and was able to cobble together the little bit below. I hope Coach Stein appreciates the effort we are putting in to support the team. 

It looks like we will be headed back to Long Beach State for their tournament March 15–16. That tournament includes Pepperdine, Nebraska, CSUN, and ASU. 

HCU at UT Wed 20 Mar

Gulf Shores 3-5 May to bring home some hardware. 

Looking forward to the release of our full schedule. Hopefully a few events worth traveling for.

The Weds 20 Mar event in Austin with HCU includes Washington as well.