Star Trek Megathread

atomheartbevo

56 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They will be releasing it for purchase on I think both digital and physical media.  Well the first season. 

The first season, yes. You can already buy it on Prime. I’d buy the second season so I can watch it 

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The first season, yes. You can already buy it on Prime. I’d buy the second season so I can watch it 

Yeah, episodes 11-20.

It's getting a physical release on DVD/Blu-ray in September

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1309275-star-trek-prodigy-season-1-episodes-11-20-blu-ray-dvd

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

So Strange New Worlds was one day away from the start of filming the next season and then the strike happened - they had flights and everything arranged for actors to fly in and start doing their thing.  So yeah, going to be a wait for the next season.

If you are in Austin, Austin Public Library is hosting a Star Trek Day on September 8th.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/star-trek-day-party-tickets-705570900557?utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-medium=discovery&utm-term=listing&utm-source=cp&aff=ebdsshcopyurl&mc_cid=add4723cc8&mc_eid=66f9234cf7

Calling all Trekkies! Come celebrate Star Trek Day at the library with Star Trek-themed crafts, activities, pastries, and a mycology talk

Date and time: Friday, September 8 · 7 - 9pm CDT

Ruiz Branch, Austin Public Library

1600 Grove Blvd Austin, TX 78741

Celebrate Star Trek Day at the library with Star Trek themed crafts, activities, & pastries. The Central Texas Mycological Society will give a talk about the real-life mycelial network!

For adults 18+ only

revenge of the nerds 80s GIF

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to take the plunge into complete nerdom. I'm watching every episode of every season of every series in airdate order along with the movies. I've seen probably 90% of TNG episodes, first season of Discovery, first season of Picard, and 90% TOS episodes over my life but that's it on the TV shows (not a single episode of Enterprise, TAS, DS9, SNW, Lower Decks, Prodigy, or Voyager in my life) so I have a shit ton to watch. Luckily, I take long lunch breaks every day and knock out an episode or two a day that way and can have a day here and there where I'm lazy and just hit 4 at once.

Right now I'm on TOS S2E10

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 4

Prodigy has been saved!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/star-trek-prodigy-netflix-pickup-1235615236/amp/

Star Trek: Prodigy, the animated kids show that was canceled at Paramount+ with its second season still midway through production, has found a new home.

Netflix has scooped up both the previously aired first season and has committed to airing the sophomore run once that completes production. Season one will stream later this year, with the second batch due in 2024

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Netflix was a major distributor of Star Trek content outside of the US, so they've got the data to show whether it's worth it for them.

It's true.  The first time I ever watched Star Trek Discovery was on Netflix in India in 2019.  Because i didn't pay for P+ 

On 9/27/2023 at 6:03 PM, SimonBolivar said:

So I decided to take the plunge into complete nerdom. I'm watching every episode of every season of every series in airdate order along with the movies. I've seen probably 90% of TNG episodes, first season of Discovery, first season of Picard, and 90% TOS episodes over my life but that's it on the TV shows (not a single episode of Enterprise, TAS, DS9, SNW, Lower Decks, Prodigy, or Voyager in my life) so I have a shit ton to watch. Luckily, I take long lunch breaks every day and knock out an episode or two a day that way and can have a day here and there where I'm lazy and just hit 4 at once.

Right now I'm on TOS S2E10

Did this during the pandemic, DS9 takes a season or so to find it's footing, but once it does its the best of the bunch.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

Did this during the pandemic, DS9 takes a season or so to find it's footing, but once it does its the best of the bunch.  

Amen.  Anson Mount's Captain Pike maybe the ideal Starfleet Captain that everybody wants to serve with, but Sisko is the one you want when serious shit is going down.

If they actually follow through with Section 31, I hope they take a look at some of the DS9 episodes for inspiration.

7 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Amen.  Anson Mount's Captain Pike maybe the ideal Starfleet Captain that everybody wants to serve with, but Sisko is the one you want when serious shit is going down.

If they actually follow through with Section 31, I hope they take a look at some of the DS9 episodes for inspiration.

It isn't just that to me, although I'd agree.  It's the character development, the writing, and the acting.  No offense to any of the other leads, but Avery Brooks is bar none the best actor Star Trek has ever had in as lead.  The minor characters like Garak, Nog, Martok, etc aren't just stock one off characters.  The writing is just not even close as being the best, the Visitor, Far Beyond the Stars (even if you don't understand Star Trek, this should strike a cord), It's only a Paper Moon, just three of the best made.  There are a couple clunkers in each season, but it's really strong.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/12/2023 at 12:30 AM, atomheartbevo said:

Section 31 is literally the worst thing to ever escape DS9. Almost wish they had made them a Romulan plot, meaning it was a lie that they had been a part of the Fed all along.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2023 at 3:38 AM, linux said:

Section 31 is literally the worst thing to ever escape DS9. Almost wish they had made them a Romulan plot, meaning it was a lie that they had been a part of the Fed all along.

Thankfully it's only a streaming film and not a full series.

And in related news, I don't know that we asked for it - I wanted a Captain Shaw or a Rios series, but...

https://trekmovie.com/2024/01/05/patrick-stewart-reveals-new-star-trek-movie-script-featuring-jean-luc-picard-is-in-the-works/#google_vignette

With the third and final season of Star Trek: Picard a success, Sir Patrick Stewart is still thinking about what could be next. Even before the final season debuted the Next Generation star was talking about his hopes to return to the big screen as Jean-Luc Picard. Now Stewart has indicated there is an actual project with him in development, including a new script.

TrekMovie has confirmed with Josh Horowitz that this interview was recorded in early November as Stewart was out promoting his new memoir, Making It So. This comment from Stewart is the first indication that there is a movie project in development that would include the character of Jean-Luc Picard. Officially Paramount has only confirmed they are developing another film in the Kelvin universe starring Chris Pine (aka “Star Trek 4”), but there have been reports and rumors about other scripts for different Star Trek movies in development at the studio as well.

It is possible that Stewart could be talking about a Star Trek streaming TV movie like the Section 31film starring Michelle Yeoh which goes into production later this month.

Last year it was reported that Paramount+ was looking for Section 31 to be the first of a series of streaming Star Trek movies for Paramount+. It’s possible a streaming movie could be a vehicle to carry on the story of Star Trek: Picard, potentially working as a backdoor pilot for the often-discussed (but not in development) Star Trek: Legacy series envisioned by Picard showrunner Terry Matalas. However, the series finale of Picardended by putting the focus on the newly rechristened USS Enterprise-G under the command of Captain Seven, played by Jeri Ryan, with a crew of mostly new characters from season 3 of Picard. While Stewart could appear in “Legacy,” it does not appear Jean-Luc Picard would be the focal character.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

If you all have not finished Lower Decks last season, it was pretty solid and gave us a nice little tie-in to TNG, literally building off of a couple of TNG episodes (including the TNG namesake of LD).

And people seemed surprised that Mariner (and probably Rutherford) were at Starfleet Academy with Wesley Crusher, Harry Kim, and Torres, (and kind of Tom Paris) and that she was best friends with Ensign Sito Jaxa.

I give them credit - it's pretty Dave Filoni-esque to reach way back and close out some TNG plot points or build on some plot points from the 1980s.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

If you all have not finished Lower Decks last season, it was pretty solid and gave us a nice little tie-in to TNG, literally building off of a couple of TNG episodes (including the TNG namesake of LD).

And people seemed surprised that Mariner (and probably Rutherford) were at Starfleet Academy with Wesley Crusher, Harry Kim, and Torres, (and kind of Tom Paris) and that she was best friends with Ensign Sito Jaxa.

I give them credit - it's pretty Dave Filoni-esque to reach way back and close out some TNG plot points or build on some plot points from the 1980s.

It was good I think the quality of the writing of LD is amazing so that is why I keep recommending it, less so for the memberberries, but i is good that they give DS9 some love in some episodes. Another sobering thought is that Cirroc Lofton is now as old as Avery Brooks when DS9 started.

• Hook 'Em 2

Lower Decks is my favorite.  I know SNW is great, but Lower Decks just scratches a special itch with Trek. 

It's funny, you generally care about the characters, they give a lot of characters from past shows a chance to come back.  PLUS THE SNW CROSSOVER.  It was so genius

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/12/2023 at 2:30 AM, atomheartbevo said:

I really like you as a poster but this is wrong and you should feel bad.

Kirk> Pike> Picard> Sisko when shit hits the fan.

I don’t know if this counts but Michelle Yeoh can take any of these spots, cause she’s a baller.

Edited by Sleep off ugly
No good words

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

That’s what I’m referrring to.  Aren’t fans calling it Legacy?

Sorry, you're right, I was thinking of the TNG folks now that Stewart is muddying the waters with talk of a Picard movie and talk that a Worf spinoff might happen.

Legacy/Enterprise G, well, it is still might happen but there's been no news about it.  It's frustrating because there's movement on a Picard movie.  Not that Jerri Ryan and the others are so busy that they could be tied up elsewhere and couldn't do a Legacy/G series, but they have the money, and Disco going away frees up some budget.

• Hook 'Em 1

So we aren’t gonna get a Star Trek: Legacy, are we?

Paramount seems to be having some money issues. Need someone like Apple TV to save time and inject some money into ST

19 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Paramount seems to be having some money issues. Need someone like Apple TV to save time and inject some money into ST

They did some reshoots/additional shoots for Disco for the last season, they bumped the budget on Lower Decks.  They sold off Prodigy.

They also suffered from the writer's strike - it hit the Academy series hard, and delayed Strange New Worlds' production.

I am hoping things are okay, I don't want something like Warner Brothers coming in and fucking around.

• Hook 'Em 1

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Please Stop Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

https://deadline.com/2024/01/andor-toby-haynes-star-trek-movie-seth-grahame-smith-writing-1235712646/

Even as it continues to develop the final chapter in its main Star Trek series, Paramount is looking to further explore the IP. The studio has tapped Toby Haynes to direct a new film that expands on the Star Trek universe, with Seth Grahame-Smith penning the script. J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot is producing.

Sources tell Deadline that while plot details are being kept under wraps, the project is an origin story that takes place decades before the 2009 Star Trek film that rebooted the franchise. Insiders add that the final chapter in that main series, Star Trek 4, remains in active development.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

GFiijfoWQAER4wx?format=jpg&name=medium

This is the show we needed.

That would be pretty freaking cool.  

I wish they would go back to the 25 episodes a year weekly 4 or 5 act play sort of episodes.  Discovery went wrong because of the lack of character development, at least to me.  Strange New Worlds has been worlds better with character development, just not enough of them.   Lower Decks is beyond great.  

To me though, Star Trek never needed these overly fancy sets, nor did it need overly fancy action sequences, what it always depended on was good story and characters that are developed enough for the audience to be invested in.   Right now, to me it seems tv suffers (not just Trek) because of studio misguided belief in that action and style are better than story and characters.  Personally, I think they are wrong.  

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

That would be pretty freaking cool.  

I wish they would go back to the 25 episodes a year weekly 4 or 5 act play sort of episodes.  Discovery went wrong because of the lack of character development, at least to me.  Strange New Worlds has been worlds better with character development, just not enough of them.   Lower Decks is beyond great.  

To me though, Star Trek never needed these overly fancy sets, nor did it need overly fancy action sequences, what it always depended on was good story and characters that are developed enough for the audience to be invested in.   Right now, to me it seems tv suffers (not just Trek) because of studio misguided belief in that action and style are better than story and characters.  Personally, I think they are wrong.  

I agree with all of that.  The standalone filler episodes get you engaged in individual characters.

Discovery suffered also becausr it had mostly unlikeable characters.  Big exception being that engineering lady who fixed stuff with bubblegum.  Her shutting down the main engineering twit was awesome.

Pike in Discovery was awesome too.

26 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Will never happen again in the age of streaming 

Why is that?  How expensive is that incremental 11th, 12th, 13th, etc show?  You already have the set, crew and cast there.  Whip up a holodeck script at the bar and tape it the next day.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Will never happen again in the age of streaming 

Perhaps not, but financially this isn't going well for most involved with streaming, and I don't think it's going to stay that way.  Things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse, but they always change.  

I agree with all of that.  The standalone filler episodes get you engaged in individual characters.

Discovery suffered also becausr it had mostly unlikeable characters.  Big exception being that engineering lady who fixed stuff with bubblegum.  Her shutting down the main engineering twit was awesome.

Pike in Discovery was awesome too.

Why is that?  How expensive is that incremental 11th, 12th, 13th, etc show?  You already have the set, crew and cast there.  Whip up a holodeck script at the bar and tape it the next day.

No one, including paramount, has decided it’s worth it to go into 11-12-13 episodes for the most part. 8-10 is the norm. 

You can also use longer run times (not everyone does, but at least with Netflix and prime and hbo, you get into the 48-65 min range per episode instead of 39-42)  Apple is pretty good at extended run times too 

Disney is the worst at just giving you 30-34 minutes on what should be much longer episodes when you only have 8-10

Edited by Js1

• 3 weeks later...