Bro!

Surly Bevo

All the current talk about Rhule and what college destination he takes his smock.  How about Kliff?  I'm not sure this experiment with the Cardinals will last too much longer. I know, I know he signed that extension, but money owed didn't stop the Panthers and Bro looks to be having the dreaded "backslide" season where management starts to think, "you know maybe the players we got are good and we just need a different guy to bring it all together".  If he goes from the Cardinals does he get a shot in college?  Does he want a shot in college? and if so where?

Unless they go on some crazy 5+ game slide, I think he finishes the season. They are playing without Hopkins, so he has that excuse.

Overall I think we've seen enough data to know the experiment is a failure. Only problem is, what do they do with Murray when you fire Coach Bro? 

He'll probably stay in the pros. I can't see a school throwing crazy money at an average college coach, who just got fired from the pros. And he's probably going to want serious money.

Edited by Brothahorn

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Unless they go on some crazy 5+ game slide, I think he finishes the season. They are playing without Hopkins, so he has that excuse.

Overall I think we've seen enough data to know the experiment is a failure. Only problem is, what do they do with Murray when you fire Coach Bro? 

He'll probably stay in the pros. I can't see a school throwing crazy money at abelow-average college coach, who just got fired from the pros. And he's probably going to want serious money.

FIFY.

He'll probably stay in the pros. I can't see a school throwing crazy money at an average college coach, who just got fired from the pros. And he's probably going to want serious money.

I imagine he stays in the pros as an OC. From what I recall he was pretty ambivalent toward recruiting and he seems to enjoy the high life.

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I imagine he stays in the pros as an OC. From what I recall he was pretty ambivalent toward recruiting and he seems to enjoy the high life.

I mean, is he even a great OC? He tagged along with Sumlin to be OC for Manziel’s Heisman year, then after one year went on to Tech for a sub .500 record as head coach. The Cardinals hired him before he could do jack shit as USC’s OC.

Then again, the NFL has repeatedly shown how stupid it can be when it comes to hiring decisions.

The Cards went 3-13 the season before Coach Bro arrived.  Since then, they have finished:

2019   5-10-1

2020   8-8

2021    11-6( losing WC to Rams)

Nothing but abject failure there, for sure. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

He’s also currently 2-4 in a pretty average NFC West. 

Yeah, my point isn’t that Kliff is beyond reproach; but the notion that his seat in engulfed inflames is laughable and rooted in anything but reason.  OBTW, his best player/ scoring threat/ game changer has not played this season.  Imagine the bills without Diggs, the Chiefs without Kelce, or um even the Packers without Adams…(lol)

Again, Kliff has his opportunities for sure, but he won’t be fired for his results to date.  Not even close 

Edited by slorch

I mean, is he even a great OC? He tagged along with Sumlin to be OC for Manziel’s Heisman year, then after one year went on to Tech for a sub .500 record as head coach. The Cardinals hired him before he could do jack shit as USC’s OC.
Then again, the NFL has repeatedly shown how stupid it can be when it comes to hiring decisions.

I don’t know. But someone in the NFL will give him a shot, like you said. They’ll think, “Look at what he accomplished with an 11 year old at QB, think of what he can do here!”
  • Hook 'Em 1

I could be wrong, but he strikes me as a better NFL coach than college coach. Maybe @slorch or someone can correct me, but seems like recruiting and/or talent evaluation wasn’t his strong suit while at Tech. That’s most of what makes college coaches successful.  Seems like he’s at his best when he can outsource the defense to a capable DC and let a GM build the roster.

I do find it funny that Kliff is light years better as an NFL coach than Urban was. And honestly, not that surprising. 

I could be wrong, but he strikes me as a better NFL coach than college coach. Maybe [mention=354]slorch[/mention] or someone can correct me, but seems like recruiting and/or talent evaluation wasn’t his strong suit while at Tech. That’s most of what makes college coaches successful.  Seems like he’s at his best when he can outsource the defense to a capable DC and let a GM build the roster.
I do find it funny that Kliff is light years better as an NFL coach than Urban was. And honestly, not that surprising. 

Kliff also presumably treats his players like human beings, and adults at that. Meyer, well, yeah.