Sportscars 2024: IMSA Long Beach 3:30pm Saturday April 20, WEC 6 Hours Imola 8am Sunday April 21

elfenix

On 1/23/2024 at 4:58 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

I did see where Ben Keating (nice guy BTW), had a little bobble on track yesterday.  I'll need to search around a bit, I thought Corvette was giving up the ghost after last year.  LFG! 

I think they said they would offer customer cars but wouldn't run a works factory team. 

Actually the biggest GTP news is probably that the Lamborghini isn't here.  This guy thinks the car will debut in the WEC at Qatar then join IMSA at Sebring 2 weeks later.  Probably because they destroyed a chassis at Paul Ricard last year. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Drool 1

OK so it looks like I'll still be able to watch a decent amount of this on NBC and USA, without having Peacock.  I haven't followed WEC/IMSA/Sportscar racing in a while, but there are some really good looking driver lineups especially in the GTP classification (I'm assuming this is what used to be LMP1?).

So... who's the favorite in each classification?

TV Coverage for those interested:

• 62nd Rolex 24 at Daytona International Speedway. Saturday, January 27, 2024, 1:30 p.m. ET to Sunday, January 28, 1:30 p.m. ET.
  • 3.56-mile racing circuit.
  • Broadcast coverage of the race starts from 1:30–2:30 p.m. ET on NBC and Peacock. From that point until 8 p.m., coverage will move to Peacock and USA, and then Peacock and IMSA.TV from 8–10 p.m.
  • Coverage returns to USA and Peacock from 10-midnight, then back to Peacock and IMSA.TV until 6 a.m.
  • From 6 a.m.–noon, coverage will be on USA and then will transition a final time to NBC for the last two hours of coverage.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/g46517053/24-hours-of-daytona-what-to-know-see-watch/

NBC rejoins as the restarting cars are already through the chicane, 3 LMPs into the barrier at the chicane, doesn't show the blue acura going around the yellow caddilac, and now the leading lexus gets caught by an LMP checking up exiting T1, breaking most of the front off.  another yellow.

13 minutes ago, utee94 said:

I haven't watched this race in a while but I don't remember this many issues this early, on a dry track in the daylight.   This isn't normal, is it?

no, they were just talking with one of the taylors and he thought maybe it had a bit to do with all the testing being cold weather and it's warm today. 

the smashed lexus is back on track

edit: imsa radio reporting the smashed lambo is back on track as well

edit2: smashed united also coming back out

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 hours left and the 31 Cadillac is pasting the field.  Corvettes in GTD PRO turns laps in mid pack by class (4&5th).

15:15 hours left and the 01 Cadillac with S Bourdais having issues while running 2nd overall.  

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

#40 WTR pulls off track dead, mirror image of the #10 dying with a wiring loom issue a few hours ago. 

edit: nope, got it restarted after the safety team got there weird.

Edited by elfenix

7 Porsche leads over 31 Cadillac. Clouds rolled in cooling the track off and it seems to be in Porsche's sweet spot. Burning off now though so let's see if it comes back Caddy's way.

Houston's Risi Competizione leads in GTD Pro over the Paul Miller BMW

Question -- when you run a regular race, you change tires. Are there other parts that need to be changed at a regular interval if running for 24 hours? Not talking about is a part fails, but do they have to replace a belt or something every four hours due to the stresses?

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Question -- when you run a regular race, you change tires. Are there other parts that need to be changed at a regular interval if running for 24 hours? Not talking about is a part fails, but do they have to replace a belt or something every four hours due to the stresses?

brakes.  that's why they have the whole corner come off and replaced in 45 seconds. 

39 minutes ago, elfenix said:

wait what that was the checker?

scoring says there was time left what the fuck

38 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Late race drama provided by race control officiating.  See ya' for the 12 Hours at Sebring March 16.

37 minutes ago, elfenix said:

flag man supposed to grab the white and grabbed the checker?

32 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

That was weird. TV said 2 to go and checkers!! within 30 seconds. I’m a Penske fan so I’m pleased but somebody needs to explain that shit. 

That was indeed strange. The guy said White Flag when on the graphics and still said two laps to go, and then all of a sudden, boom, Checkered.

The post-race write ups will hopefully explain that.

Seems as though it was fucked, just like we all thought.

In a release sent out by IMSA late Monday, the error was explained:

Due to an officiating error in race control, IMSA inadvertently announced and subsequently displayed the white flag with under three minutes remaining in the race. At the end of the lap, the race-leading No. 7 GTP car then received the checkered flag with 1 minute, 35.277 seconds still remaining, ending the race short of the planned 24 hours by effectively one lap.
Based on Article 49 of the 2024 IMSA Sporting Regulations and Standard Supplementary Regulations, should the checkered flag be inadvertently or otherwise displayed before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps or before the prescribed time has been completed, the race is nevertheless deemed ended when the flag is displayed.
https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-racing/a46575517/inadvertent-checkered-flag-ends-rolex-24-early/
Edited by Shoxthemonkey

On 1/24/2024 at 12:22 AM, wood said:

OBTW, there's an Austin-based team on the grid. The #66 Gradient Racing Acura NSX GT3 will be driven by Sheena Monk, Katherine Legge, Tatiana Calderon, and Stevan McAleer.

I am a fan of Katherine's. A Legge humper, if you will.

13 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Seems as though it was fucked, just like we all thought.

In a release sent out by IMSA late Monday, the error was explained:

Due to an officiating error in race control, IMSA inadvertently announced and subsequently displayed the white flag with under three minutes remaining in the race. At the end of the lap, the race-leading No. 7 GTP car then received the checkered flag with 1 minute, 35.277 seconds still remaining, ending the race short of the planned 24 hours by effectively one lap.
Based on Article 49 of the 2024 IMSA Sporting Regulations and Standard Supplementary Regulations, should the checkered flag be inadvertently or otherwise displayed before the leading car completes the scheduled number of laps or before the prescribed time has been completed, the race is nevertheless deemed ended when the flag is displayed.
https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-racing/a46575517/inadvertent-checkered-flag-ends-rolex-24-early/

Yeah even standing trackside with no tv monitor in sight I thought there was still a lap to go. Then the cars came by slowly next time around. I thought maybe I was imagining things. Guess not.

PSA: Daytona is a fantastic facility. Everyone we encountered is good at what they do and extremely helpful & proud of the track. It's run the way every track should be run. $80 for a Saturday/Sunday ticket including garage access. I called last week with a question about parking and my call was actually answered within a couple of rings by a gentleman at the track who told me DIS had arranged for free parking at the shopping mall across the street about a 5-10 minute walk from the T4 entrance. He recommended that option over DIS parking at $100 per car.

We had a great time. Stayed on Saturday until about 1230am and then went to the hotel in Deltona, about 20 miles away. Returned to the track at about 9am for the rest of the race. My kid got selfies with Guenther Steiner  and Marcus Ericsson on pit lane before the race, and I'm pretty sure I met Ann Margret by the Dogleg when we were walking out after the race. 

The viewing of the racing action was far better than we anticipated, as well. Started the race in the stands at IMSA T1. It was fantastic, and and everywhere we went, there were great views & great action. Standing next to the high-banked turns was one of our favorite parts. They're amazingly steep. You really can't appreciate it on TV. The banking on the front straight 'tri-oval' isn't as steep, and even it was difficult to walk up. Might do the race again, but I sure af won't drive there again. My kid & I got home at 9 last night. Oh, and we brought back some unexpected passengers as well - 2 cases of the covid. So, yay.

Now what's this about Chip Ganassi running over Devlin DeFranceso's dog in the team motor home lot?

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2024 at 1:34 PM, elfenix said:

NBC rejoins as the restarting cars are already through the chicane, 3 LMPs into the barrier at the chicane, doesn't show the blue acura going around the yellow caddilac, and now the leading lexus gets caught by an LMP checking up exiting T1, breaking most of the front off.  another yellow.

As always ... fuuuuuuck NBC.

• Rage+1 1

On 1/28/2024 at 12:22 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

This is great stuff. The abuse these cars take is amazing.

Yeah we watched 'em go balls out for 11 hours straight, then went to the hotel and got a decent night's sleep. When we returned it was surreal to see them still just pounding around the track, knowing they'd never stopped all night while we were sleeping. Then they went on for 4.5 more hours. Abuse indeed.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/28/2024 at 12:42 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Late race drama provided by race control officiating.  See ya' for the 12 Hours at Sebring March 16.

Don't miss the Bathurst 12H in 2 weeks.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:19 PM, elfenix said:

brakes.  that's why they have the whole corner come off and replaced in 45 seconds. 

Yep, and it's amazing they only came up with that method a few years ago. Can't remember which team did it, but it was a huge deal.

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

am i going to watch the 24H Dubai this weekend while i'm fucking around on the computer?  does the pope shit in the woods?

I wish Creventic still came to COTA. Are they gonna take a break for sleep and then restart in the a.m. like they did here, or are they gonna go continuously through the night?

• elfenix changed the title to Sportscars 2024: IMSA Long Beach 3:30pm Saturday April 20, WEC 6 Hours Imola 8am Sunday April 21