My son waited tables on Christmas Eve (csb)

bernorange

Yes and yes. He was actually really cool. I randomly ran in to him a couple weeks later at a golf course a played the last few holes with him.

It was definitely younger Kelley I waited on and honestly had no clue who she was.

Earl was super nice.

Chewbacca(I can never remember his real name) was nice but suuuper reserved and quiet. Wasn’t rude about it at all but it felt like he didn’t want to be recognized.

This is a really cool story for your son to be able to tell @bernorange for the rest of his life. I am glad Shaq was so nice. He has a really good reputation as a person. I’m a lifelong Lakers fan, but I have a much older story about Shaq. My high school played Cole in the opening round of the 89 playoffs. They went up early because Shaq dunked after the officials cowered on the floor and they got a tech. 

I remember reading about this game because the library at my high school had the old yearbooks. I opened the one that had this story. It was written by one of the guys who played in that game. He was the star QB/LB for Lampasas and was not a bad basketball player either. It was written by Lee Wiginton who is now the head coach at Allen. His first year as a high school coach was my freshman year of high school. He wanted to coach with his father Ken who had been a longtime Lampasas coach at that point.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was thinking about people I have waited on that people would know. I had LeAnn Rimes about 6-7 years ago when I worked in Huntington out on Long Island for a brief spell. I have also had CC Sabathia, Mark Cuban, Steven Furtick(Minister of a big church in North Carolina.). I had Holly Hunter not too long ago and briefly met Rainn Wilson over the summer because my manager wanted me to. He was exceptionally nice to everybody. I also had a really cool conversation with Darryl Strawberry even though I wasn’t serving him. Gayle King was really sweet when I met her. She is another regular. I had the guy from Shark Tank named Robert Herjavec. Very polite guy. I see Colin Quinn once a week because he and Seinfeld eat breakfast together. He always brightens the place up because he’s really friendly. Seinfeld is pretty quiet. I waited on Seinfeld’s wife once before and she was nice. Maury Yeston is another regular. You can look up what he has done. That man is a treasure and has so many stories from his career writing music and plays. Another guy that always brightens the place when he shows up. 

I also served Roy Wood Jr. three days before Christmas. How that happened was pretty funny. I went and chased him down because our manager wouldn’t seat him at a table by himself. I wasn’t having that so I went outside and caught up to him and put him in my section. We actually wound up talking about FAMU since he is an alum and had a sticker on his laptop that I noticed. I actually started listing off the HBCU bands I like and their nicknames and he was like “Man you really know your s••• about this!” We talked about Deion going to Colorado (He 100 percent supported taking the payday) and I wished him luck on hopefully hosting The Daily Show. He told me once that gets settled he will get a residency in the city to perform and he told me to check his Instagram because that is the first place he’ll put that. Very nice guy. 

I think the funniest moment serving a celebrity was LLCoolJ telling me to make sure the kitchen cut up his eggs on his Pastrami Hash he was having for breakfast. I was not going to ask our kitchen to do that since they were really busy. I bring him his food and you can see he is upset about the eggs. I look at him and just say “Sir do you want me to cut up your eggs for you?” He looks up and says “Man I’m really bleeping hungry so I’m gonna just eat it.” I went and gave him two muffins to take to his TV interview he was going to. He was good. His assistant says “Are you taking those muffins?” He looks at her and says hell yeah Iam! I’m hungry!” He is a really nice guy to be honest and is a regular.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2023 at 1:41 AM, UpperWestside said:

My high school played Cole in the opening round of the 89 playoffs. They went up early because Shaq dunked after the officials cowered on the floor and they got a tech. 

Good friend of mine from freshman year in college had a great picture of him getting dunked on by Shaq in HS (Cole vs Somerset).  Fantastic angle too - photog was right under the basket like they have at NBA games.  Shaq is still on the rim and my boy is underneath it, scrunching up/wincing/bracing in fear.  /csb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

another csb/ sort of related to mittens' story:  Buddy of mine played college ball at Lamar and was either a forward or center.  He played against a cat from Centenary who went on to great things with the Celtics - Robert Parish.  Robert scored 50 points over the top of my buddy that night, and he ended up with a great photo of him guarding Robert Parish.  

Years later, the Celtics were in town to play the Rockets, and my buddy waited outside the locker room for Parish to come out and autograph the photo.  He told Robert the circumstances about the game, and asked him if he remembered that game.  Indeed Parish did remember that game, as it was the most points he ever scored in his career, high school, college or pro.

Sorry for the thread derail. 

/csb.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

another csb/ sort of related to mittens' story:  Buddy of mine played college ball at Lamar and was either a forward or center.  He played against a cat from Centenary who went on to great things with the Celtics - Robert Parish.  Robert scored 50 points over the top of my buddy that night, and he ended up with a great photo of him guarding Robert Parish.  

Years later, the Celtics were in town to play the Rockets, and my buddy waited outside the locker room for Parish to come out and autograph the photo.  He told Robert the circumstances about the game, and asked him if he remembered that game.  Indeed Parish did remember that game, as it was the most points he ever scored in his career, high school, college or pro.

Sorry for the thread derail. 

/csb.

Sounds like your buddy wasn’t really “guarding” Parish. More like gently ushering him to the basket. 

• Like 1