My son waited tables on Christmas Eve (csb)

bernorange

2 hours ago, bernorange said:

My son recently got himself an apartment in Houston and is waiting tables at a relatively high end restaurant near the River Oaks area.

He had to work the morning/lunch shift on Christmas Eve.  He ended up waiting on Shaquille O'Neal (who dined with one other person).

He said Shaq was super nice.  He said he shook Shaq's hand and his hand disappeared in Shaq's grip.  He said Shaq looked much bigger in person than he does on TV.

He said Shaq bought lunch for everyone in the room and left him a generous tip.

/csb

CSB indeed. Saw someone post about that on LinkedIn. Shaq is an awesome dude, apparently does stuff like that frequently and not for publicity. The HBO doc is great as well

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

That Ruben is great, it’s been a few years since I’ve been there.  Looked at the menu posted, Ruben with potato salad is $25.95 now?!  Damn!

When you walk up and see all the seating for people waiting, that explains their pricing 

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I saw him on 6th one night and he was walking through a big crowd brushing people to the side like they were gnats. 

He's a massive human being. 

Saw him in an airport circa 1996. 

Friend: "Hey is that Shaq?"

Me: "Which one?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Met him in one of his first years in the league. He always acted like a hardass about his opponents,  especially the Spurs. But it took about 3 seconds to realize he was clowning,  and was a jewel of a human being. Met a lot of NBA players during my San Antonio days, all huge humans...but Shaq? He was on a whole other level of huge.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/3/2023 at 10:12 PM, ztejas said:

I saw him on 6th one night and he was walking through a big crowd brushing people to the side like they were gnats. 

He's a massive human being. 

On 6th street I ran into TX Center James Thomas and shook his hands.  He’s “only” 6’8” 240  and already seemed like a giant to me. 

Those are basically Lebron numbers and this is how he stacks up to Shaq. 

5070d40bfdfcb4e4687532d479e95704.jpg

Years ago I went to one of the only NBA games I've ever been to. It was a Lakers/Spurs playoff game at the Alamodome. Our seats were way up in the corner, nearly the top row. We were miles away from the floor.

Shaq was the only player who I could identify from up there because he was so much bigger than everyone else.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:18 PM, CycleTex87 said:

I 'member seeing Texas play LSU at The Summit in Houston in 1990, and LSU had this HUGE freshman center who was just having his way in the paint.  Like not even fair.

Saw Shaq at the UIL tourney at the Drum in late 80s (think they won it in '89?).  Obviously largest kid there, but probably only about 240 lbs. at the time.  Always have loved the dude.

Serious question -- where does Shaq live? Seems like he is around the area a lot. I heard once years ago that he has a daughter here (Austin). I know he grew up in San Antonio. 

Any idea where he calls home?

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

Didn’t realize (I guess) that Shaq was from San Antonio. Penders didn’t offer?

From an article I read, Larry Brown saw Shaq playing pick-up basketball with soldiers at a base in Germany, where Shaq's dad was stationed.  Shaq was dominating the soldiers, and so huge that Brown thought he was a soldier, too.  When he asked Shaq how old he was after the game ended, Shaq told Brown that he was in eighth grade.  Brown asked to see Sgt. O'Neal and started recruiting Shaq for LSU right then and there.  Penders may have offered, but, from what I've read, Shaq was a lock to LSU early.

Edited by Scheiss Meister

44 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

From an article I read, Larry Brown saw Shaq playing pick-up basketball with soldiers at a base in Germany, where Shaq's dad was stationed.  Shaq was dominating the soldiers, and so huge that Brown thought he was a soldier, too.  When he asked Shaq how old he was after the game ended, Shaq told Brown that he was in eighth grade.  Brown asked to see Sgt. O'Neal * and started recruiting Shaq for LSU right then and there.  Penders may have offered, but, from what I've read, Shaq was a lock to LSU early.

*Sgt Harrison 

• Hook 'Em 1

From an article I read, Larry Brown saw Shaq playing pick-up basketball with soldiers at a base in Germany, where Shaq's dad was stationed.  Shaq was dominating the soldiers, and so huge that Brown thought he was a soldier, too.  When he asked Shaq how old he was after the game ended, Shaq told Brown that he was in eighth grade.  Brown asked to see Sgt. O'Neal and started recruiting Shaq for LSU right then and there.  Penders may have offered, but, from what I've read, Shaq was a lock to LSU early.
Close, but it was Dale Brown
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

*Sgt Harrison 

Oops.  Forgot.

22 minutes ago, Catpfish said:
3 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Close, but it was Dale Brown

Shit.  And I'm not even drunk.

9 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

From an article I read, Larry Brown* saw Shaq playing pick-up basketball with soldiers at a base in Germany, where Shaq's dad was stationed.  Shaq was dominating the soldiers, and so huge that Brown thought he was a soldier, too.  When he asked Shaq how old he was after the game ended, Shaq told Brown that he was in eighth grade.  Brown asked to see Sgt. O'Neal and started recruiting Shaq for LSU right then and there.  Penders may have offered, but, from what I've read, Shaq was a lock to LSU early.

Dale Brown

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/12/2023 at 4:10 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

CSB...

tutored Shaq during my tenure at LSU he had a maroon Ford Explorer with a booming system he’d crank up on weekends in the dorm parking lot and just hang out there with his peeps

my Ford Explorer boomin' with the clumped-up funk, 
all you jealous punks can't stop my dunks, 
they're brand new like Heavy, 
built like Chevy, Impala, 
but Shaq's a smooth balla, 
I can hold my own, 
knick-knack shaq-attack, give a dog a bone,

On 1/14/2023 at 8:18 PM, Fudbelty said:

Back in my server days I waited on Earl Campbell, Oliver Miller, Kevin Costner, Flickerstick, Chewbacca(sans costume), and Kelley Clarkson.

That's an eclectic dinner group.