Architect Question

Dealing with an architect on stamped drawings that are wildly inaccurate.  This error has caused the need for additional materials on a custom project.  Architect has admitted he did not do a site visit to verify measurements that were provided to him.  His construction drawings were submitted to a local city as required.  He is refusing to accept any responsibility by stating it was not in his scope to verify measurements and that his drawings are accurate.  Are there any architects on here that could answer some questions?  

Thanks. 

Ummm.  Licensed professional issues drawings with known inaccuracy?  That’s an easy E&O claim.  I is licensed professional and frequent expert witness on this kind of stuff.  If he is smart, the question is “How can I make this right”, not “your problem, dude.”

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dr Fear said:

You got a contract on an AIA form, bro?

Doesn’t matter.  Licensed professional sealing drawings better meet standard of care.  If it’s sealed, any disclaimers on the page are going to be at best mitigating.  

The architect is a Dumas.

• Hook 'Em 2

These were the details in the proposal.

Project Description: Architectural design construction drawings for a rooftop mechanical screen wall system.

1. Preliminary Design Drawings
    Design initial plan/elevations and present drawings to client for approval.

2. Construction Drawings

• Upon approval of preliminary design drawings, architect will develop the following drawings:

RoofPlan
      Exterior Elevations
      Screen Wall Assembly Details

On 4/27/2023 at 7:34 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

to verify measurements that were provided to him. 

Who provided those dimensions?  Were there notes on the plans to "field verify all dimensions"?  Usually existing field dimensions are the contractor's responsibility.

11 hours ago, miguelito said:

Who provided those dimensions?  Were there notes on the plans to "field verify all dimensions"?  Usually existing field dimensions are the contractor's responsibility.

Good question.  No notes on the proposal.

Field measurements were provided by another party that did not end up with the project.  

13 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Q: How does an architect commit suicide?

A: He jumps off his ego.  

This describes a certain fairly well-known construction lawyer in Dallas who makes it a point to let you know he has a degree in architecture, and therefore knows more than any other lawyer in the case about everything. In my experiences with him, I grade him out as a B- attorney.

Not an architect, but in this industry. Unless the dimensions were provided by the owner or the contract stipulated reliance on field data by others you’ve at least got a leg to stand on. Someone mentioned field verification, which would have then produced an RFI for clarification.

If I’m the contractor I am expecting a CO for the field change. If I’m the owner I want the architect to pay for that. YMMV.

• Hook 'Em 1