Arsenal FC 2023-24: Passion, Energy, Clarity

shadow_operative

defending has definitely been on point this season and I think that Declan Rice plays a huge role in that. he’s so good at both defending and turning defense into attack that we’re the stingiest we’ve been since per/kos and santi/coquelin were our starting cb/mf pairings. saliba-rice-gabriel is elite at the back. raya doesn’t have to be the best shot stopper ever in goal because our entire team is defending at a high level, and he rarely finds himself in precarious situations. he can just focus on commanding the box and his distribution.

the vision of arteta and edu is clear, and they are batting about .800 when it comes to signing the right guys for their vision. i remember hearing early on in my arsenal fandom, “at Arsenal we don’t buy legends, we make them.” i think we just may be watching legends being born. arteta, saka, odegaard, saliba, gabriel, rice- if/when they lead us to major trophies, you will have to say that we did it the Arsenal way.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:37 AM, The Maestro said:

Nice for Havertz, he’s done a lot today, he’ll even the last few weeks

He's really played well ATM. Tracking back, linking up, and making runs that pull defenders to open up opportunities for others.

On 2/17/2024 at 10:52 AM, Surly Bevo said:

Been a very nice 7 days for goal differential.  

We're +19 since the Dubai vacay.  Bottle some of that water and import it.  

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

defending has definitely been on point this season and I think that Declan Rice plays a huge role in that. he’s so good at both defending and turning defense into attack that we’re the stingiest we’ve been since per/kos and santi/coquelin were our starting cb/mf pairings. saliba-rice-gabriel is elite at the back. raya doesn’t have to be the best shot stopper ever in goal because our entire team is defending at a high level, and he rarely finds himself in precarious situations. he can just focus on commanding the box and his distribution.

the vision of arteta and edu is clear, and they are batting about .800 when it comes to signing the right guys for their vision. i remember hearing early on in my arsenal fandom, “at Arsenal we don’t buy legends, we make them.” i think we just may be watching legends being born. arteta, saka, odegaard, saliba, gabriel, rice- if/when they lead us to major trophies, you will have to say that we did it the Arsenal way.

Gabi XL is elevating every aspect of his game: passing, reading the attackers, positioning, tackling, not to mention scoring from set pieces. He's low-key evolved into our best defender. With Saliba... we're looking at one hell of a CB partnership for the future.

And he finally, deservedly, has a song.

spacer.png

did the fire alarm go off at 3am in our team hotel last night or what? that game was miserable, and the entire thing was just passes that were half a beat too strong, first touches that went flying, unforced mistakes and errors. porto didn’t do anything to hinder us, we just got in our way all game long. 

i don’t even know how to feel concerning the home fixture. on the one hand, we pretty much couldn’t have played worse and yet the game was ~30 seconds away from being a 0-0 draw. on the other hand:

13 minutes ago, The Maestro said:

Arsenal in Europe

• Rage+1 2

One half-assed pass with less than 30 seconds left and we’re going home down 1-nil.  The return leg won’t be easy; we’re going to see an entirely new level of shithousery and the lowest block in the history of football. Both of which we struggle to deal with. 

One half-assed pass with less than 30 seconds left and we’re going home down 1-nil.  The return leg won’t be easy; we’re going to see an entirely new level of shithousery and the lowest block in the history of football. Both of which we struggle to deal with. 

What is “lowest block”?

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

we might have played like shit, but at least we didn’t spend the entire match flopping around like cunts (porto) or rewarding those flopping cunts for being floppy cunts (the officials). i pray that they all flop like that again in London only this time the officials never reward them for it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we might have played like shit, but at least we didn’t spend the entire match flopping around like cunts (porto) or rewarding those flopping cunts for being floppy cunts (the officials). i pray that they all flop like that again in London only this time the officials never reward them for it.

The corner around the 41st minute was the most egregious.  Literally 5 Porto players hit the deck on that one.  On the following one Ben White simply side-stepped his defender, who promptly fell down and got up looking for a call.  Fucking ridiculous.

• Rage+1 2

Also didn't help that the ball was in play for 46 of the 90 minutes, during which the ref called 22 fouls on us.  Given that Porto had 37% possession, the ref whistled us an average of every 48 seconds. WTF? Credit to Porto, as shown above their mid-block worked, but they also deployed the full bag of "dark arts shithousery." I thought we had decided play for a draw as the 2H went on (which we would have had if not for Martinelli's brain fart of a pass), and I would have been OK with it. Only one Arsenal player (Jorg) Wednesday has any CL experience, whereas Porto was in the Round of 16 last year and the Quarters two years ago.  Dealing with Euro nights and the shithousery that comes with is something we will learn. Players and manager.

Arteta does needs to come up with some answers; Sandcastle like to employ similar tactics, and (given how effective Porto were) we're likely to see other clubs try the same. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1

something else i’ve read/watched videos on re: kai havertz is that he has a very high iq and that he manipulates space well. he sees the open space and either fills it or gets the ball there, as well as using his own movement to open up space for other players. since reading about this i’ve been looking out for it and i’m seeing it in recent epl games. i really think he was a smart signing. really good game from him so far.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 2:25 AM, shadow_operative said:

you watch this video, you say, “wow, seems like jorginho needs to start in most big games.” next game we start him and we bag four more PL goals and jorginho is MOTM. as much as the internet/social media depresses me, youtube might be my the one saving grace. 

On 2/25/2024 at 7:20 PM, shadow_operative said:

you watch this video, you say, “wow, seems like jorginho needs to start in most big games.” next game we start him and we bag four more PL goals and jorginho is MOTM. as much as the internet/social media depresses me, youtube might be my the one saving grace. 

Chelsea spent like 5b on midfielders and sold us their best one for 12m. Jorg ran the Liverpool and Sandcastle games. He can't go 90mins every third day anymore, but what a player to have.

Trossard, Kiwior, and Jorg last Jan.... not a bad window.

1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

It’s happening!!!

Incredible.  I think the club will be smart with his recovery and not try to rush him back (he is going to be World XI), but man.... any minutes he can give this spring will be massive.  His quality was so evident during the preseason.

I know, I know. Waiting for Partey to return is like 

spacer.png

But. If we can get Partey, Zinny, Tomi, Gabi Jesus back for the stretch run starting in March, plus whatever Timber could offer as a bonus.... The guys won't be running on vapor come April, and Arteta will have every tactical option available.  

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 2