Anyone using an aftermarket stereo with Android Auto?

• 6 months later...

Bump.

My "new" old 2007 Mustang's factory audio went out before I bought it.  Previous owner installed a Clarion, but the bluetooth doesn't provide audio (it sees phones, accepts/gives stereo/phone/etc. commands, but no audio).  Took it to a shop and the guy said most likely the chip working Bluetooth is bad.

That's okay, I'm in the market for a new touchscreen type head unit (speakers are fine, leaving as is).  Probably a Pioneer.

Question:  has anyone done their own install?  YouTube vids look okay, but they're different enough that I'm not sure for myself.  The part that concerns me the most is wiring, specifically pulling apart/rewiring/taping(?) speaker connects to new head (probably isn't some nice RCA insert, or is there?).  Plus I might want to run a mic/and/or camera in it.

Installation looks about $125-$150 avg. from a pro.

Have you ever done it on recent style units?  I have no problem understanding the taking out of the unit, just getting in there and seeing a shitload of wires I can't figure out.

I'd ask my husband, but he's off fucking other women and has no time to help me.  Thanks.

On 6/29/2018 at 7:07 PM, Hellraiser97 said:

Looking to upgrade my stereo in my F-150 and was thinking of getting something with Android Auto.  Looks like Pioneer is still the leader, but there are some other options.  Anyone have one of these and have an opinion?

It may depend on your listening preference.  In my 2007 2500 PU, I listen to the radio about 80 or 90% of the time and most of that is listening to AM radio.  That being the case, when I changed out the radio a few years ago, I chose a pioneer since they still were putting out radios with the best tuners for the price.  I also put in several relays to bypass automatic switches such as keeping the video working when in drive or reverse. 

For a pro install (privateer, not working for a shop), I referred @Steel Shank to a guy I know in San Marcos & he did a great job.

Does work well above / beyond Fry's, Best Buy, "your local shop", etc.

I think he registered on Shag but isn't over here.  He's a BassHead & does competition level work if you want that & can also do the simple stuff.  You get his rec's, buy from Crutchfield & then bring all the stuff to him.

The prob. for you, PHD, is location - BC to SM.