NHL 2023 Offseason

cactusflinthead

On 6/24/2023 at 10:32 AM, cactusflinthead said:

NHL needs to chill. I got other stuff to do 

Very good trade for the Avs, imo. Good size, very solid off the draw, and I think he will fit right into that second line spot at a relatively cheap AAV. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It will be an interesting offseason for Alex DeBrincat. I believe his qualifying offer starts at $9 million/year. That’s a steep price to pay for a 5’7” winger. I know he’s a sniper that can put the puck in the net but at that size, he’ll be a liability in the playoffs. If this postseason taught us anything, it’s that big boy physical hockey hasn’t gone anywhere and won’t for a long time. 

6 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

Very good trade for the Avs, imo. Good size, very solid off the draw, and I think he will fit right into that second line spot at a relatively cheap AAV. 

RJ is not nearly as good as he used to be, but given that the Avs literally gave up nothing, there's no way it's a bad trade.

And they had no one who they were comfortable playing at C when 29 was on the bench in the playoffs.

Hilarious. This complete cluelessness by the average American about hockey drives Canadians nuts. 

I remember during the strike year when the Edmonton Oilers sent Nugent-Hopkins, Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall to the Oklahoma City Barons. Huge names north of the border but complete no names in Oklahoma. 

I went to a Thunder game one night and sat a few rows away from Taylor Hall who was with a smokin hot blond. Not one person came up to him all night. Number one player picked in the draft and the dude had complete anonymity in Oklahoma. 

37 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Not sure what he thinks he’s worth but I can confidently say it’s not more than $6MM/year. I’m sure some desperate team will throw stupid money at him but he didn’t exactly look great in the postseason. He’s been known to basically stop trying when he doesn’t get what he wants; see his last few years in St Louis. 

19 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

Not sure what he thinks he’s worth but I can confidently say it’s not more than $6MM/year. I’m sure some desperate team will throw stupid money at him but he didn’t exactly look great in the postseason. He’s been known to basically stop trying when he doesn’t get what he wants; see his last few years in St Louis. 

he better hope he gets signed and doesn't get shipped back to the KHL

As a wings fan, I thought Yzerman was going to turn it around very quickly. 5+ years in and it looks like another underwhelming offseason. Even if they do pull off a deal for Debrincat he isn't going to put them over the hump to competing. I guess we will see what they do next year.  

On 7/6/2023 at 12:18 PM, Juicy said:

As a wings fan, I thought Yzerman was going to turn it around very quickly. 5+ years in and it looks like another underwhelming offseason. Even if they do pull off a deal for Debrincat he isn't going to put them over the hump to competing. I guess we will see what they do next year.  

DeBrincat’s contract is absolutely awful. You better hope Detroit doesn’t waste money on a 5’7” winger. I know the wings struggled putting the puck in the net last season but a qualifying offer of $9MM for a player that will absolutely get rag dolled in postseason will not be good. 

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Karlsson trade.

This is a weird one imo. Don’t think the Sharks received nearly enough for giving up a Norris d man and retaining salary. I also think this is an odd move for Pitt, as they are well out of their cup window and should think about a sell off to begin competing with their next generation of players. This move just prolongs the inevitable. 

On 8/8/2023 at 8:58 AM, markstanco said:

Today only... NHL Shop has 25% off everything with code NHLDEAL.  Ends at midnight. 

wish I could rep more. got some more Stars gear for the new season.  ordered a couple shirts, a car magnet, and a hoodie. The latter of which was on like flash sale from $95 to $66 (which still seemed steep for a hoodie, but it is pretty sweet).. Well, they sent me two. Bank error in my favor!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wish I could rep more. got some more Stars gear for the new season.  ordered a couple shirts, a car magnet, and a hoodie. The latter of which was on like flash sale from $95 to $66 (which still seemed steep for a hoodie, but it is pretty sweet).. Well, they sent me two. Bank error in my favor!

Nice gets!  I grabbed a hoodie as well.  I wanted to get another hat but I like to try on in person. 

4 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

man, Bergeron and Krejci retiring in the same season? gonna be real surprised if the B's are as good this season. We shall see!

It might be a tough year….I can tell you for a fact that we won’t be as good as last year. Our top 6 and top 4 should still be solid but it’s our bottom six that I’m concerned about. We have solid goaltending and I like Monty behind the bench. I think the Atlantic will be tough again this year with teams like Buffalo and Ottawa in position to compete for playoff spots. Toronto is still strong and I won’t discount Tampa until they prove me otherwise. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Damn. 

Toronto Maple Leafs forward prospect Rodion Amirov, the club's 2020 first-round pick, has died, his agent, Dan Milstein, confirmed Monday. He was 21.

Milstein posted on X, formerly known as Twitter, that Amirov died after being diagnosed with a brain tumor.

"From the moment he received the news, he refused to speak in the negative, determined to enjoy every day, facing it with the same positive attitude he showed during his hockey career," Milstein said in a statement. "We will always remember his courage, his desire, his will, his smile, all of the great things about him."

Milstein said in the statement that Amirov had been diagnosed with the brain tumor two years ago. The Maple Leafs announced Amirov's diagnosis in February 2022.

Amirov, who was the 15th pick in 2020, signed an entry-level contract with the Maple Leafs in April 2021. He joined the Maple Leafs' taxi squad that spring after finishing a KHL campaign with Salavet Yulaev Ufa. He scored nine goals and 13 points in 39 games as a teenager. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/38192190/maple-leafs-prospect-rodion-amirov-21-dies-brain-tumor

• 4 weeks later...

This is from another board, just posting for the hell of it. 

WEST 

Cup faves: 
Colorado Avalanche 
Dallas Stars 
Edmonton Oilers 

Playoffs: 
Vegas Golden Knights 
Calgary Flames 
Minnesota Wild 
LA Kings 
Nashville Predators

Tough outs: 
St. Louis Blues  
Seattle Kraken 

Shock playoff miss: 
Winnipeg Jets

Biggest underachiever: 
Vancouver Canucks (lol) 

Rebuilding: 
San Jose Sharks 
Anaheim Ducks 
Arizona Coyotes 
Chicago Blackhawks 

He gone. 

Mike Babcock resigned as coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets Sunday, with the team announcing in a statement that the move is effective immediately.

The club also announced that associate coach Pascal Vincent has taken over as head coach, agreeing to a two-year contract through next season. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/38424585/mike-babcock-resigns-coach-columbus-blue-jackets

• Like 1

Babcock has been a douche for years. Not sure why Columbus thought it would be a good idea to give this man another chance. Boys Club of the NHL is still prevalent. Happy Vincent finally gets his shot to be a NHL HC. Seems like a good shit and he’s paid his coaching dues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

That's an amazing story.  You take a few years off to re-energize and clear your head supposedly, and you don't even make it to your first practice on your comeback.  Also getting the feeling Mike Commodore isn't a fan (skip to 0:35 of the 2nd for the fireworks).

Edited by Beau Vine