2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

Wenaas is not it.

Granted Swindle's sets are not the most consistent or well-located, but even when she gets a decent ball, she ends up tipping or going off-speed. That's ok only after you've established that you can terminate the ball.

Changes at OH and Opp need to be made if Wenaas and Phillips continue their abysmal hitting against the next 2 ranked opponents.

I still think Byrd should be on the left pin instead of Wenaas. She jumps out of the gym and can at least hit the same type of sets as Skinner without Ella having to adjust the tempo of her setting like she has to with Jenna.

Same with Devin who should be starting at Opp. She doesn't need a perfect, fast tempo set to terminate like Molly. Plus, Devin can be in serve-receive to cover for Byrd when she is in the front row. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I am also ready for someone else at OPP, at a minimum. Wenaas was just bad tonight. 

Really everyone but Madi and Bella were, offensively. Just not into the match and unfocused. O’Neal was pretty nonchalant 

Edited by Js1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Surprised Molly isn't bearing up to full time.

Molly was able to hit well the past years with strong left pin hitters. She doesnt have that this year. She’s never been able to consistently kill a ball when if she’s not hitting  a perfect set or left one-on-one.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, perfectchaos007 said:

Fingers crossed this is Devin's breakout year. She looks the part in set 2

Elliot did rave about her. But apparently wasn’t good enough to start over Molly. Hopefully he’s not too proud to keep this change 

Texas finally looked like Texas last night, hitting .321 as a team.  

Madi, who also started slow last year as well, has picked it up a bit as we finish up the non-conference.  Her last 2 matches: 

Rice - 19 kills, .417 hitting
Ohio State - 24 kills, .380

That backrow connection between her and Swindle looks really good.  Right now, Swindle's connection with Madi and Bella look really good. As TexasDPT reminded us, the connection between Swindle and O'Neal will need some more time since O'Neal was playing internationally during the summer.

Devin took some good rips on the ball, but Texas went away from her after the 2nd set. (6-8 in the second set, 0-5 in the third and fourth sets).   Wenaas is still a mystery - but she may be finding her success going down the line or those deep tips/throws into the back corner. I like when she goes down the line and tools the edge of the block, versus trying to go cross-court and getting stuffed. 

Texas' 3 best hitting percentages of the season are the last 3 matches - .382, .283, .321.  

I thought our back row play by the littles last night was phenomenal. Barnes seems much more comfortable.  If I had to criticize, Emma needs to take more control and call off players.  There was one play where we just needed to send a free ball over and it hit the court between her and Ella.  That should be Emma's ball every time. I did see her step in and steal some balls in serve receive, which is good. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!