Ski Season 2023/2024

texasdago

On 3/1/2024 at 8:50 AM, Frank Drebin said:

Going to Whitefish in a week.  We bought a house there in the fall.  This will be first time skiing there.  I have heard it is often foggy/overcast this time of year.  Any reccos on the ski mountain?

I just ski blue and black groomers at this stage of life.  

Recs on a realtor? Been on my wishlist to buy something in those parts since spending a summer there during Covid,…even if just an empty lot to build something on later.

19 hours ago, huge said:

Worst line I experienced at Squaw last Sunday was like 15 minutes.

Nothing like the 30+ you used to have in the 80-90s before high speed bangers.

Fixed grip lifts are a beating and when you come across them, its torture.  CB replaced their 2 seater fixed grip Teocalli POS with a four-seater... still fixed grip.  Now twice as many people can suffer at the same time.  #ThanksVail 

Posted (edited)

A86DFCEE-3480-46A1-81B4-94285F74328C.thumb.png.071dfca45e715937b94e497c8495324d.png

Classic spring skiing in Taos this week- higher elevation runs still holding up well. Lower trails turning to mash potatoes after lunch …..strong and cold storm supposedly headed to Rockies on Sunday 

Edited by JCHIL
  • Hook 'Em 1

Took my oldest to Heavenly for a few days last week. The snow was great but the problem was 1)weekend crowds and 2) winds. The Gondola was closed both weekend days. Access between the Nevada side and California side was closed on Saturday. So we spent the whole day on the Nevada side. Crowds weren’t as bad as they were on Sunday. Sunday we did the California side because most of the lifts were closed on Nevada for winds. Super crowded day and long lines. Monday was perfect. The whole mountain was open and the crowds were light. Still one of our favorite places to go but will try to avoid weekends in the future. Can’t beat the views. 

IMG_5394.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5

On 3/13/2024 at 9:01 AM, NWBuck said:

Well, I've decided that it's time to buy a helmet (enough brain damage already, thankyouverymuch... it's why I'm on the Surl).

Getting to be the end of the season, so there should be some decent options on closeout and such- any recommendations or things I should keep in mind (MIPS is mandatory, according to the Mrs.)?

'Preciate the insight...

I just burned some REI credit on this one.

https://www.rei.com/product/225171/anon-oslo-wavecell-snow-helmet?color=BLACK

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Took my oldest to Heavenly for a few days last week. The snow was great but the problem was 1)weekend crowds and 2) winds. The Gondola was closed both weekend days. Access between the Nevada side and California side was closed on Saturday. So we spent the whole day on the Nevada side. Crowds weren’t as bad as they were on Sunday. Sunday we did the California side because most of the lifts were closed on Nevada for winds. Super crowded day and long lines. Monday was perfect. The whole mountain was open and the crowds were light. Still one of our favorite places to go but will try to avoid weekends in the future. Can’t beat the views. 

IMG_5394.jpeg

denzel washington GIF

Favorite place in the world

• Hook 'Em 1

Just saw Copper Mountain's close date is first weekend of May.  Loveland is the same.  WP is now May 19th which is one week later than usual.  A-Basin looking at June 2nd.  All based on conditions, of course.  I would love to figure out how to do a late season day at Loveland and a day at A-Basin.

Taos is getting a serious dumping!  Glorious powder skiing yesterday - I was maybe 30th person in lift line at 9 am for fresh tracks and I made fresh track runs on backside blues and easy access blacks for over an hour before those runs got tracked out….Snowed all day yesterday (too bad I had to leave) and all night - too bad it’s only open 2 more weeks ….

image.thumb.jpeg.0a9494d7b7eb17a1044f9e07416b36a3.jpeg4D85A02E-9AFD-4484-9CE0-1858790E562B.thumb.png.1b97c468d8d7002fd183b9dc253671fd.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just booked next February for a week in Banff. 7 nights at Fairmont Lake Louise + 2 5/7 day lift tickets for US$3,700.  5% down. Refundable until 14 days before. Good through 3/31 in case anyone is interested 

Edited by brown water
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, texasdago said:

All that snow and they shut down 

Yeah...I think TSV has a public use agreement with Carson National Forest that sets a limit on the amount of user days in a ski season so since Taos chooses to open on Thanksgiving weekend every year, the days run out by first week in April every year.  I have seen them extend the season on some years by a week when the snow is good and this year it would seem like they would,,,,,

16 minutes ago, JCHIL said:

Yeah...I think TSV has a public use agreement with Carson National Forest that sets a limit on the amount of user days in a ski season so since Taos chooses to open on Thanksgiving weekend every year, the days run out by first week in April every year.  I have seen them extend the season on some years by a week when the snow is good and this year it would seem like they would,,,,,

Sounds like CB... they apparently do something like that where they are limited in how long they can stay open but I think part of it is skier numbers drop big-time since there's no big population center nearby.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, JCHIL said:

So... I saw 44" in the past three days.  Dude... 

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

Sounds like CB... they apparently do something like that where they are limited in how long they can stay open but I think part of it is skier numbers drop big-time since there's no big population center nearby.

Even the resorts near Denver have a huge dropoff in skier numbers after March.  People are ready for warmer weather by April.

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Even the resorts near Denver have a huge dropoff in skier numbers after March.  People are ready for warmer weather by April.

Yeah, I've been reading about people in Denver bitching about the recent snowstorm... despite the fact that March is typically the snowiest month.

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, I've been reading about people in Denver bitching about the recent snowstorm... despite the fact that March is typically the snowiest month.

Which one?  We've had 2 in the last week.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JCHIL said:

Can they staff it if they stay open? My understanding is that Angel Fire hires quite a few contract seasonal workers from South America with hard end dates, so it's not feasible for them to stay open after the contracts run.

Looks like from their webpage AF is already closed. Their webcams show they still have a shitload of snow. 

https://www.angelfireresort.com/weather/

Edited by ftf82

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5J2gLlP2hB/?hl=en

Aaahhhh to be a sponsored athlete. 

Last week I went to @skitaos for a three day spring ski trip and ended up staying for 8 days and catching a 49” storm with a bunch of awesome people and dogs. Can’t figure out why they call it The Land of Entrapment though!

Well- most likely that’s a wrap on the season.  13 days.  238,000 vertical feet.  168 lifts ridden.  415 miles of runs.  All stats per the garbage epic app.  

Riva Ridge/Tourist Trap from today.

IMG_0280.thumb.jpeg.221992e2c4146a88eaeda2f5869f494f.jpeg

Keep getting after it y’all.

• Hook 'Em 3

I'm at 8 for the season... really trying to figure out how to get to 10.  I mean, I can do it... just have to book it... but trying to save money so I need a client to visit in Denver.  Any client. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I'm at 8 for the season... really trying to figure out how to get to 10.  I mean, I can do it... just have to book it... but trying to save money so I need a client to visit in Denver.  Any client. 

SIL living in Avon helps 😎

Edited by Upgrayedd
And no pics
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...